Anybody out there?

Dieselpusher

Reaction score
Hey there! I got a 97' 7.3. Bought a CTS2 last Aug. since then I have had this problem with it shutting of while driving. I been bearing with it cuz I like the monitor and I need it for the EGT readings while towing. Contact Edge they had me update the software, it still shut off. Next they had me pull my ts chip, it still shut off. Next they had me pull the monitor and put it in my car, monitor worked fine in my car. Next they had me send the unit and cable back so they could check to see if unit was functioning proper. They sent a new unit back to me with a letter saying they checked the old unit and it was working fine but were sending me a new unit that had been check and was good. I plugged in the NEW unit and drove to work got to work and it shut off. Next they told me that the 7.3 specifically the 97's were susceptible to losing communications with PCM through the OBDII recommended I check the fuse, I did it was good, I cleaned the OBDII with contact cleaner also. Soooooooooo looooooooooooong story getting shorter I have the truck scheduled to go into the shop and have PCM, fuse wiring/to the OBDII port check to hopefully figure out WHY the CTS2 LOSES COMMUNICATIONS and goes to sleep while driving. Question: IS THERE ANY BODY ELSE OUT THERE THAT HAS DEALT WITH THIS ISSUE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANY THING YOU GOT. Thanks Mark

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The truck shuts off or the monitor?

You could try another type of monitor. Like a scan gauge 2

Dieselpusher

Reaction score
Thanks for the kick back. It's the monitor that is losing communications. Have not had any problems with any thing else on the truck. Since Scangauge 2 plugs in the same as the CTS2 to the OBDII. Could have the same issues? Hoping some one else on this forum has dealt with this with am OBS 7.3...

superpsd

Reaction score
Do you have an android device. Might try downloading the torque pro app using a Bluetooth adapter. And see if torque stays alive during driving around. Torque will not support an EGT reading however. Or find a scan gauge you can borrow. To rule out a defective Edge unit. I also have a 97 and torque will stay live all day. Torque will not pull codes or run tests I use Car Gauge Pro App for that. In fact if you try to pull DTCs with torque it will not find any as it does not support the DTCs and if you try to reset DTCs via torque it will kill the engine for a second. Car Gauge Pro will pull the DTCs and clear without a hickup. I use the OBDlink LX adapter its worth it. Many of the cheaper adapters do not communicate with the PWM J1850 protocol and if they do communication speed is much slower.

Honestly I have never heard of your issue and interested to see what you find.

I also did a quick search as this problem has came up in the past. I read that firmware updates solved some issues. I also see one who had to replace the OBD port connector on the truck side.

Last edited:

Dieselpusher

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will look into this. Open to any thing I can get. Gonna get it fixed one way or another.

Bugman

Reaction score
Why not just get a actual EGT gauge?

I am presuming here that you installed a probe into the exhaust manifold for the Edge.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You could probably give it straight 12v keyed power and it would keep working. Might freeze up if it’s losing connection to pcm or might not if it’s just a problem with your obd power wire. That plastic connector and wiring is over 20 years old, might be getting a little worn out. It’s spent the last 22 years bouncing around under your dash. Edge makes a 12v kit for older trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online