Single Turbo size for a everyday work truck.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Maybe the factory boost gauge on the dash? I think that only shows up to 40

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

purplepstroke

Reaction score
ITs called tuning. I can show you my monitor
if you like. Hell Ill hook some gauges up even.

Last edited:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Good info guys thank you for responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drkhrse

Reaction score
H&S Dallas - I recently went single with 69 SXE... Driveability down low (just throttle tip-in) while in O/D send my EGT's climbing like a scared Mountain Goat. Until I hit 14Lbs of Boost... Gone through 2 different people for tunes (SCT Livewire) and the only thing they could do to "help" is re-tune the trans to kick out of O/D at very little pedal input... Now if it was getting anywhere decent mileage.... but 10MPH doesn't cut it...

The only thing we can think of is the Turbine Housing isn't tight enough (supposed to be a .91 Split_... Since Borg-Warner (actually from H&S website) is only $165 - I ordered one to compare. They are easy enough to swap in-out now that it's a single... I'm already > 4K into this set-up and need to at least make her "driveable" - maintaining speed at 70 requires me to let it drop to about 65 then hit the pedal - grab some boost - let off at 75... repeat 30 -45 seconds later. If the replacement housing ( the one on there now is a different casting) and I HAVE to spend some more $$$ will a 66 SXE running "normal" Trans tuning allow me to modulate the pedal that little bit required to maintain speed and not see EGT's climbing towards 1200?

Thanks

Rpbobby492

Reaction score
I got a s366 66/74/.91 on mine with all stock fuel lights about 1900 rpms a .83 would probably do better for spool

sootie

Reaction score
H&S Dallas - I recently went single with 69 SXE... Driveability down low (just throttle tip-in) while in O/D send my EGT's climbing like a scared Mountain Goat. Until I hit 14Lbs of Boost... Gone through 2 different people for tunes (SCT Livewire) and the only thing they could do to "help" is re-tune the trans to kick out of O/D at very little pedal input... Now if it was getting anywhere decent mileage.... but 10MPH doesn't cut it...

The only thing we can think of is the Turbine Housing isn't tight enough (supposed to be a .91 Split_... Since Borg-Warner (actually from H&S website) is only $165 - I ordered one to compare. They are easy enough to swap in-out now that it's a single... I'm already > 4K into this set-up and need to at least make her "driveable" - maintaining speed at 70 requires me to let it drop to about 65 then hit the pedal - grab some boost - let off at 75... repeat 30 -45 seconds later. If the replacement housing ( the one on there now is a different casting) and I HAVE to spend some more $$$ will a 66 SXE running "normal" Trans tuning allow me to modulate the pedal that little bit required to maintain speed and not see EGT's climbing towards 1200?

Thanks

what are you running for injectors? stock hpfp or dual fuelers? I believe you need to step down charger size. If it isnt strivtly for competition use, i would say 366 is the biggest you will want to go if you need drivability.

Drkhrse

Reaction score
Stock everything ... bought used withj 94K miles... 2 years ago while a mechanic was working on it chasing a rattling sound - it ran away.. He refused to do anything about it... He was chasing an oil leak in the Turbo and kept running it for about 20 minutes trying to see what he could find (Leaking Turbo Oil Seals and pressurized air blowing it TOWARDS the intake!!! DOH.. Even offered to sell me a new 5.9 to build and change to a Cummins with the adapter kits...If he wasn't armed..... I spent 3 months rebuilding the thing. ARP bolts and studs everywhere they made them for (Girdle, Connecting Rods, Heads, Flex Plate and Balancer) Got the cartridges for the Turbos .. Used an H&S programmer... ran good for months but I went up an entrance ramp at WOT and lifted off the throttle and POP... Head gasket was blown.. getting gas back into the Cooling system from the back-pressure I guess ... New (more reliable and knowledgeable) mechanic fire-ringed the heads - said if I went large single it would be a beast... the problem is, I think the Turbo Kit 69/73 SXE has a cheap turbo as well. Casting doesn't have intelligible markings .. The H&S site has a write-up on the new SXE turbos and the .91 twin scroll and low throttle... If I was seeing reasonable drive-ability....
1st thing is check to see if the housing isn't "tight" enough and allowing too much exhaust to bypass Turbine wheel... After that, it's bite the bullet I guess for a 66

Last edited:

SinisterX

Reaction score
I'm already > 4K into this set-up and need to at least make her "driveable" - maintaining speed at 70 requires me to let it drop to about 65 then hit the pedal - grab some boost - let off at 75... repeat 30 -45 seconds later. If the replacement housing ( the one on there now is a different casting) and I HAVE to spend some more $$$ will a 66 SXE running "normal" Trans tuning allow me to modulate the pedal that little bit required to maintain speed and not see EGT's climbing towards 1200?

Thanks

This is exactly what I'm going through with the 369, just requires to much foot to cruise and worse with a load. I'm trying to decide 363 or 364.5

Latest posts

Members online