Tuning at 330k

Diesel625

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about running some tuning on my truck for several years. I’ve done several mods for reliability, but not for power. It always been a damn good truck, and I decided to run an atlas tune about a year ago. It worked great, and I finally bit the bullet and bought an sct 5015. Also talked to quicktrick auto and got a few tunes. I went ahead and bought the trans only, tow, and eco city. I’ve tried them all and am very happy. I will be towing regularly so it will more than likely be set on trans only. How does everyone like their trans only tune, and do you have it paired with the atlas 40 tune?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Untuned until 298k, all original.

At about 307k, using GH, power is ok, mileage is less than stock but its nice to have a peppier feel, currently using SCT street as it gives me the best overall power vs mpg balance.

From what I've read about the FICM is to basically stick w/ the atlas 40 then use the tuner for any remaining hp. I also hear plenty of positive news about QT.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
We have a 05 and 06 that just have minor supporting mods. Both are running just the Alas 80 tune. Very happy with both.

Reaction score
I've got quick tricks tunes, and personally was never a fan of their trans tuning, just never drove quite right with strategy, and required me to lift, and press hard on throttle to force a downshift going up hills. I also had WPE, it was definitely the most powerful tunes, but too much icp for my taste. I now run gear head, hands down the most stream-lined tunes, and absolutely nailed the transmission strategy, and proper throttle input for a forced downshift

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I've got quick tricks tunes, and personally was never a fan of their trans tuning, just never drove quite right with strategy, and required me to lift, and press hard on throttle to force a downshift going up hills. I also had WPE, it was definitely the most powerful tunes, but too much icp for my taste. I now run gear head, hands down the most stream-lined tunes, and absolutely nailed the transmission strategy, and proper throttle input for a forced downshift

I've heard getting the trans tuning is hit or miss sometimes. GH is ok but it has times where it won't down shift soon enough and it'll be a smokey b$tch before it shifts or lights up.

What about the ICP on WPE did you not like?? My biggest issue w/ GH is it can be a bit smokey and the lag at times. I'd like a balance of good HP, w/ decent mileage and not be a smoke machine. I hate the smoke. A light puff is fine but i can roll a good amount of smoke at times during a hard pass or making a yellow light. The SCT street this is less noticable and even their Race tune smokes less than GH.

Reaction score
I've heard getting the trans tuning is hit or miss sometimes. GH is ok but it has times where it won't down shift soon enough and it'll be a smokey b$tch before it shifts or lights up.

What about the ICP on WPE did you not like?? My biggest issue w/ GH is it can be a bit smokey and the lag at times. I'd like a balance of good HP, w/ decent mileage and not be a smoke machine. I hate the smoke. A light puff is fine but i can roll a good amount of smoke at times during a hard pass or making a yellow light. The SCT street this is less noticable and even their Race tune smokes less than GH.
The down shift is exactly why I like GH, its immediate and makes sense. My truck only smokes bad when my filter gets too dirty, also trips the air filter minder and light constantly when doing that as well. His tunes definitely are not laggy either, mine spools great, and I've got the powermax, which is slower to spool than the stock charger...

WPE, was almost 1200 psi ICP at idle when in drive, extremely loud because of that, but I'll also admit, that tune flat out tips compared to all other tunes I've tried, it's very aggressive and not a daily/refined tune.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The down shift is exactly why I like GH, its immediate and makes sense. My truck only smokes bad when my filter gets too dirty, also trips the air filter minder and light constantly when doing that as well. His tunes definitely are not laggy either, mine spools great, and I've got the powermax, which is slower to spool than the stock charger...

WPE, was almost 1200 psi ICP at idle when in drive, extremely loud because of that, but I'll also admit, that tune flat out tips compared to all other tunes I've tried, it's very aggressive and not a daily/refined tune.

LOL, thats the great thing about the 5R110. W/ GH tunes it always takes longer vs stock to downshift. If it downshifted better that would make a huge difference. When a downshift isn't quite necessary my VGT stays open longer and its not as tight as I'd like. My tunes are stock-head bolt based so maybe that is why but I'm studded now. I did reach out a while back and it seemed more trouble than it was worth for GH to update to studded.

How was the smoke/laggyness w/ the WPE and their trans tuning vs some of the others?

Reaction score
LOL, thats the great thing about the 5R110. W/ GH tunes it always takes longer vs stock to downshift. If it downshifted better that would make a huge difference. When a downshift isn't quite necessary my VGT stays open longer and its not as tight as I'd like. My tunes are stock-head bolt based so maybe that is why but I'm studded now. I did reach out a while back and it seemed more trouble than it was worth for GH to update to studded.

How was the smoke/laggyness w/ the WPE and their trans tuning vs some of the others?
Their trans tune was aight, but still took a lot of effort to downshift, no lag and maybe a little more smoke actually. And the GH tunes downshift much faster and with less throttle than stock. I need to be clear though, when I originally talked to Matt at GH, I specifically told him how I wanted the trans tuning, and what I didn't like about the other tunes.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
.... when I originally talked to Matt at GH, I specifically told him how I wanted the trans tuning, and what I didn't like about the other tunes.

I guess thats the problem I experienced. I'll have to try one more time and maybe it can get where I need it to be.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I thought about trying ******** tunes as well. I had his tunes on my 6.4 back in the day and loved them. If Matt’s shift better than the quick trick tunes, they’re really impressive. So far I’m extremely happy with what I’m running. While using the trans only, with the atlas 40, I’ve gained a solid 2mpgs in my welding truck. It tows excellent too. Egts are never an issue either. I’ve also used the tow, and eco city, but prefer the trans only tune. I still haven’t set my sct 5015 to read icp, so I don’t know what it’s reading currently. I’ll try it later today if time allows.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
You have to ask for them to tune the trans to downshift earlier. Try turning a corner at 10mph while still in 4th with big compounds. It sucked. I just asked them to split the difference between tow/haul and stock.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I thought about trying ******** tunes as well. I had his tunes on my 6.4 back in the day and loved them. If Matt’s shift better than the quick trick tunes, they’re really impressive. So far I’m extremely happy with what I’m running. While using the trans only, with the atlas 40, I’ve gained a solid 2mpgs in my welding truck. It tows excellent too. Egts are never an issue either. I’ve also used the tow, and eco city, but prefer the trans only tune. I still haven’t set my sct 5015 to read icp, so I don’t know what it’s reading currently. I’ll try it later today if time allows.

GH tunes shift quality is good but on my shifting if I'm just getting to speed I would like them to go into the next gear just a bit sooner. When I'm getting on the pedal to pass I'd like the TC to unlock or the trans to go from 4th to 3rd w/ less input. In both my situations, the shift quality smoothness is fine its that they timing is off and in both situations it makes it a bit laggy and smokey.

I had IDP tunes on my 6.4 and they were balls out awesome the first 2 years I had them until the last revision in early 2013. I sent my SCT into ted about 3-4 times after that and they could never get the over boost fixed (all tunes) or the XT-street to run right. Gutless and would fall on it's face. Because of that I'm extremely hesitant to try the 6.0 tunes. Power wise, in the beginning better than the H&S or KEM tunes I tried and the trans on the IDP was always great but that last few times, I had another $75 or so tied into just the shipping plus each time I charged some sort of update fee that last revision go around.

I'd like to try vivian's tunes as I've heard plenty of positive on the org. I know she had a period of issues but I was under the impression that her CS was always good, always trying to work w/ folks to get the tunes right.

You have to ask for them to tune the trans to downshift earlier. Try turning a corner at 10mph while still in 4th with big compounds. It sucked. I just asked them to split the difference between tow/haul and stock.

Yeah, that would suck. If I can get them on the phone again I'll see what I can come up w/. His shift smoothness is great but the timing is off and I find it strange that my mileage in stock and w/ the SCT canned is almost 2 mpg at times, same road conditions.

Latest posts

Members online