How to tell what rods you have

BMac

Reaction score
This is a frequent question on the forums and short of looking for yourself through the inspection port, it was hard to know for sure because apparently some later engines had forged rods after the initial introduction of PMR. I found this recent message on the Hypermax site re:forged rods.

Here is the engine serial number break down for the forged and powdered connecting rods. Check you engine serial number on the valve cover build sticker or you need to look at the block where the oil cooler is bolted to it .
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered
Or you can break them then you know what you have-Ha Ha-Just kidding
The reason for the break in serial numbers is a "test" run to be sure there were not any issues with the powdered rods. Once the process was production tested the powered rod process was used until the end of production.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ive seen this post before. Im trying to find out what rods this motor has im selling. And everyone is saying a sticker, which i found in great shape to be 1170186, and the date on that sticker also said 18 oct 99.
The motor in my truck was 1659435 but could read the date other than what looked to be an 01.

My question is where at on the block is the stamped numbers. And a pic would help. I looked for roughly 25mins with a very bright led flashlight with no luck.

young7.3

Reaction score
There is only one way to know for totaly sure and leave zero question about it.Look in the inspection hole under the engine at the rods and find out.There is a write up on psn about it. let me see if i can find it.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ive used that method on the motor in my truck and will most likely use it on this motor too. I had to make the tool tho. And i think i still have it. Couldnt find the right size anywhere. Im just trying to find a picture of the serial number stamped on the block so i know where to look for now on.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Thats good stuff david. You wouldnt happen to have a picture of where the stamped numbers are on the block would you. And is it possible to have a different type of nut on the rods. I dont think mine have multipule points or sides like those ones do. I think mine is more like a regular six sided nut.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.