6.4l Odawg Intake Review

Reaction score
Last weekend i ended up having to replace one of my UP pipes unexpectedly. While i was at it, I took the time to install Odwag's intake since it was sitting on my shelf. I thought it would be worth the right up since: (1) usually nobody installs just the intake without any other modifications; and (2) my truck has the fuel bowl and all other fuel lines in place (more on this later).

I do not have any dyno numbers, but I can give you a daily driving, seat of the pants, report.

Aside from the benefits already listed on Odawg's website, it is worth mentioning the increase in throttle response. This is a huge gain, the truck behaves more like NA motor now and relies a lot less on boost to breathe. just driving around town with nothing in tow, just a slight touch of the pedal and off you are.

Further, the minimal amount of turbo lag that was previously present with stock turbos is now almost completely gone. if you stand on the pedal of the line, it will almost instantly roast the tires.

The engine just flat out responds tremendously better from 0-50%. Which is where most of us do our driving.

Now the cons. It's without speaking that Odawg has spent tons of time and money designing the intake, but they come so close to having a flawless product and just drop the ball.

The casting job on the intake was very well done, I didn't notice any imperfections worth mentioning. However, the machining work left something to be desired. Most notably in the bosses where the IAT sensor and Manifold pressure sensor thread in. Both of these sensor utilize an SAE elastometric sealing surface (a threads with an o-ring). On both bosses, the o-ring groove was either completely missing or machined incorrectly. Had I noticed this before having been almost finished, I would have taken the intake back out. Further, several of the bolt holes had to be re-tapped because I could barely get the fasteners to thread in.

The next issue is, which is really not Odawg's fault. If you install the intake and intend to keep your stock fuel lines, you will have no place to fasten them back down. As the bolts, where previously attached, are no longer utilized on the new intake. What I chose to do was to cut the studs from the original intake and weld them to the top of the SAE plugs. This worked out great. I was still able to torque down the plugs and had a place to fasten the heat shields and fuel lines. Further, if you do not do as I did, your oil drain line from the HP turbo will have no place to fastened either.

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:

btoler4th

Reaction score
Solid info. I'll be doing one at somepoint this year. Was curious (if you were monitoring) if you noticed any noticeable EGT drops more than odawg advertises?

Reaction score
Solid info. I'll be doing one at somepoint this year. Was curious (if you were monitoring) if you noticed any noticeable EGT drops more than odawg advertises?
I'm not sure yet. I havent put on enough miles to be sure. Also, I'm seeing back pressure creep up higher than before when i'm past 1/2 throttle.

I attribute this to the increased flow from the intake. Increase in flow on the intake side has to increase flow on the exhaust side. And my back pressure was never above 55psi before the intake. Now i'm regularly tripping the 55psi alarm.

I think it's trying to convince me to swap in a 76/59....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

White_monster

Reaction score
I'm not sure yet. I havent put on enough miles to be sure. Also, I'm seeing back pressure creep up higher than before when i'm past 1/2 throttle.

I attribute this to the increased flow from the intake. Increase in flow on the intake side has to increase flow on the exhaust side. And my back pressure was never above 55psi before the intake. Now i'm regularly tripping the 55psi alarm.

I think it's trying to convince me to swap in a 76/59....

55psi is really low bp since atmospheric pressure is included in that number. Precision 76mm and a 59mm vgt is a great setup

Reaction score
55psi is really low bp since atmospheric pressure is included in that number. Precision 76mm and a 59mm vgt is a great setup
No, atmospheric is not included. Cts2 and mini max both show relative pressure. It would be great if i could have drive pressures better than 1:1. But that's never gonna happen.

I know 55psi is not terribly high. But im used to drive pressures around 1.2:1. It's getting above 1.8:1 if i really stand on it.

I'd like to get it back down. I was going to play around with the desired back pressure tables, but i guess the consensus is that under high load, ebp just follows the fuel tables.

Reaction score
Precision 76mm and a 59mm vgt is a great setup

Any personal experience towing with the 76/59's? I tow quite a bit with my truck and I dont want to hurt its drivability.

I searched quite a bit but most of the threads talk about the 72 atmo.... some early threads talk about the 76mm having issues.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Any personal experience towing with the 76/59's? I tow quite a bit with my truck and I dont want to hurt its drivability.

I searched quite a bit but most of the threads talk about the 72 atmo.... some early threads talk about the 76mm having issues.

It will probably tow better than before. Cooler and better response along with decreased back pressure.

Reaction score
It will probably tow better than before. Cooler and better response along with decreased back pressure.
Interesting. I also believe it should have better manners with lower back pressure. However, i was pm'ing back and forth with some other members on here who have had the the 76/59 and their experience was the 59mm spooled a bit slower.

One of the nice things about my current setup is its ability to hold a gear and maintain speed without downshifting. I can run 80mph and when traffic slows down to 55, it will easily pick back up, no smoke, no downshifting. At 55mph, my rpms are ONLY around 1200rpm in OD.

That makes towing very enjoyable and almost feel like your empty. I don't really want to give this up if I don't have to.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Interesting. I also believe it should have better manners with lower back pressure. However, i was pm'ing back and forth with some other members on here who have had the the 76/59 and their experience was the 59mm spooled a bit slower.

One of the nice things about my current setup is its ability to hold a gear and maintain speed without downshifting. I can run 80mph and when traffic slows down to 55, it will easily pick back up, no smoke, no downshifting. At 55mph, my rpms are ONLY around 1200rpm in OD.

That makes towing very enjoyable and almost feel like your empty. I don't really want to give this up if I don't have to.

For the short amount of time my Harley truck had a a set of 72/59’s I can 100% say they spooled faster than factory turbos.

sootie

Reaction score
Anyone who said a 76/59 spools slow is full of chit. Tuning is key. Better performance than stock and waaaay more power.

White_monster

Reaction score
No, atmospheric is not included. Cts2 and mini max both show relative pressure. It would be great if i could have drive pressures better than 1:1. But that's never gonna happen.

I know 55psi is not terribly high. But im used to drive pressures around 1.2:1. It's getting above 1.8:1 if i really stand on it.

I'd like to get it back down. I was going to play around with the desired back pressure tables, but i guess the consensus is that under high load, ebp just follows the fuel tables.

With a vgt turbo and wanting quick spool you end up with high bp. Your boost should be in the 45-50 range as well. But safe is nice so things don't break.

As for experience with 76/59. I have lots. I build kits and tow with them alot. More power. Stock spool. Lower temps. Many ppl are running my setups.

btoler4th

Reaction score

Are you 3.55 in the rear?

Latest posts

Members online