6.4 slow crank

08Monster

Reaction score
Just did a cab off job on a 6.4 and replaced lots of parts, including lifters, injectors, HPFP, rockers, etc.

Bled the fuel system, truck wouldn't fire. Cranked for 30 seconds or so, let it rest for about 5 minutes. Did this 4 times, on the 4th time, all of the sudden the truck started to crank hard. Truck barely cranks over now.

Any ideas what would have changed or happened mid crank?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Lipka101

Reaction score
Just did a cab off job on a 6.4 and replaced lots of parts, including lifters, injectors, HPFP, rockers, etc.

Bled the fuel system, truck wouldn't fire. Cranked for 30 seconds or so, let it rest for about 5 minutes. Did this 4 times, on the 4th time, all of the sudden the truck started to crank hard. Truck barely cranks over now.

Any ideas what would have changed or happened mid crank?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Dumb question but did you check batteries? A lot of cranks will kill them, especially if they weren't sitting on a charger while you were building it.

sootie

Reaction score
Smell the dipstick for fuel. pull the glow plugs and crank it over. You may have a faulty injector causing a hydrolock.

Otherwise, it might have been the starters time to go...

08Monster

Reaction score
It was the starters time to go. With all new injectors I knew it wasn't anything to do with a hydrolock, it was instant. Cranking great, and than all of the sudden slow as hell.

Replaced the starter, fired first key cycle.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.