Portland area land?

Notneb

Reaction score
Might be moving to the Portland, OR area early next year, and would like to find a place with land to rent/buy. My reason for asking on here instead of just browsing Zillow, is I'd love to not make the same mistake I made moving to AZ. That mistake was not finding out what counties have diesel emissions testing...

So if anyone knows what counties are diesel "my parts fell off" friendly, feel free to share some knowledge!

Also if you know of property of at least 10 acres within an hours drive of Portland, feel free to PM me!

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
A diesel over 8600 GVW is exempt from emissions testing here. I don't know for sure, but areas such as St. Helens, Banks, McMinnville, Gaston, Lafeyette and down towards Salem are probably outside the testing boundary. Probably similar on the east side of I5 out by Sandy, Estacada, Beavercreek, Molalla and Canby areas. All these are getting pretty close to 60 minutes out as well. The housing market has gone crazy here, but it seems that the property parcels can be had for a decent price still. Cash talks on these. Check out RMLS.com for some available land.

If you don't mind, what brings you up here?

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Definitely move across the river from Portland. You will probably find it easier to find land to rent in Washington

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SgtMiller23

Reaction score
Oregon has no Sales tax and the property tax isnt that much less depending on where you live in Washington.

Yamhill county you dont have to worry about emission and there is more than enough land.

Notneb

Reaction score
If you don't mind, what brings you up here?

Loved the land when I lived there as a kid, the pine forests are awesome. Also love that there's good dunes up there, as I live in AZ now, so desert off-roading is a passion.

Definitely move across the river from Portland. You will probably find it easier to find land to rent in Washington.

I lived in the Tacoma/Seattle area, hows the rain in SW Washington? I only know the area when I was driving through to go to Portland. As long as it's nothing like NW WA, I'd be willing to take a look!

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Loved the land when I lived there as a kid, the pine forests are awesome. Also love that there's good dunes up there, as I live in AZ now, so desert off-roading is a passion.

I lived in the Tacoma/Seattle area, hows the rain in SW Washington? I only know the area when I was driving through to go to Portland. As long as it's nothing like NW WA, I'd be willing to take a look!
It will be no different than Portland since they are right across the river from each other. They definitely get their share of rain, but also get their share of beautiful weather.

Notneb

Reaction score
It will be no different than Portland since they are right across the river from each other. They definitely get their share of rain, but also get their share of beautiful weather.

Lol, I absolutely HATE the constant drizzly days that is Seattle weather... Moved to the desert to get away from it, lol.

I do miss the forest though... I figured there would be a massive price difference between the two states though, hence why I was looking at more rural stuff an hour out.

Notneb

Reaction score
Any guesses on traffic times? An hour out here is different than an hour out up there. I'm going on a high average of 2 minutes per mile, so 30 mile radius of portland's city limits is what I'm searching.

Thanks again guys, super helpful!

Layson

Reaction score
I would hate to have to drive over that bridge every day twice... from Oregon to Washington. That place is a ****hole. But I hate Portland...LOL

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I would hate to have to drive over that bridge every day twice... from Oregon to Washington. That place is a ****hole. But I hate Portland...LOL

^This for sure.

Crossing either bridge during either of the 3 hour traffic Windows each day can put you at an hour just at the border. Instant 90 minute commute, just add idiot or weather. It probably comes down to what you do for work and that would dictate your time of day and commute duration. At 5 AM, I can go from Hillsboro to Portland in 20-25 minutes depending on the east side or west side. Double that between 7 and 9 AM. Coming in from the north, the routes are pretty limited. From the east and west, you have quite a bit more choices if things turn bad.

Notneb

Reaction score
That's another reason I'm hesitant to live anywhere that a bridge is my only way in/out of a place. After dealing with ferries up in Seattle I'm well aware of just how much time that adds to the commute.

As far as job: I'm medically retired from the Navy, so no work commute, but for school... I'm probably screwed unless I can get night classes! I've been all over the US, and Portland traffic is up there...

superpsd

Reaction score
Western Washington broke some records for rainfall this year and also one of the hottest summer's last year. I think we are in for another hot summer.

Notneb

Reaction score
Western Washington broke some records for rainfall this year and also one of the hottest summer's last year. I think we are in for another hot summer.

Heat, I'm not worried about, I grew up in the desert and served most my naval career in very hot places, some with humidity, some without :p

Latest posts

Members online