Help, 99 e350 7.3 died on highway, cranks no start.

bet_on_black

Reaction score
Help, my 99 e350 7.3 died last night climbing a steep grade and had to be towed to our house. It cranks but won’t start. Glow plug relay is firing. PCM has power.

The HPOP was practically dry, so I filled it and added oil to the pan (it was low). I’m thinking that’s why it stalled.

Been cranking and cranking and no smoke or fire. Tried with icp sensor unplugged also, and no smoke or fire.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
Does the oil pressure gauge in the dash go up while cranking? Also does the rpm gauge flutter while cranking? If not cam sensor. Check the ipr nut on the back of the ipr those are the places I would start

bet_on_black

Reaction score
Yes on oil pressure gauge. It’s a van, so it doesn’t have a tach. I swapped out a known good cps that I carry, and It made no difference

bet_on_black

Reaction score
Yes on oil pressure gauge. It’s a van, so it doesn’t have a tach. I swapped out a known good cps that I carry, and It made no difference

Ipr nut is intact, no oil in the plug. I changed the HPOP about 25k miles ago, so not a ton of miles on the ipr or hpop

Magnum PD

Reaction score
No access to a scanner? Need to see if you got any high pressure oil pressure

bet_on_black

Reaction score
No. I’m at my vacation house in a small town in Colorado

ghohouston

Reaction score
It may be that you just have alot of air in the high pressure oil system and need to crank more. But there are 100 possibilities. You really do need access to a scanner.

bet_on_black

Reaction score
It may be that you just have alot of air in the high pressure oil system and need to crank more. But there are 100 possibilities. You really do need access to a scanner.

I could order a scanner, looks like we are staying here for a week at least, longer if I don’t get this running. What’s a good option for a scanner?

bet_on_black

Reaction score
Thinking it’s the IDM. I pulled mine out and a bunch of water spilled out of it

Latest posts

Members online