160/100 vs 205/30 Injector Testing

MeTo

Reaction score
Sorry... no spoilers as of yet. We will start posting up dynos/pics/track numbers october/november. We don't have anything concrete yet. Still testing.

Charlie, is there any news or can you elaborate on where the 300x V2 is at?

I'm they guy that showed up at your shop last January, who's truck (duel Donaldsons) started on fire in Joshua Tree NP. The turbo (KC300x 63/70/84) you set me up with is preforming great. Thanks for your help.

Since mine is only a year old, would it be worth it to upgrade to the V2 when it's available?

Vgk

Reaction score
Any update on that kc300x v2? im getting a turbo soon and want to see the compairison between the 2. Anything is appricited. Whats te difference betwen the v1 and v2?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
No updates as of right now. Test truck has been down... keeps going through transmissions. It has pushed back the release date. We don't share info until we have testing and dyno graphs done. Sorry.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Any information on what may be different on the KC300x V2?

Sorry... no spoilers as of yet. We don't have anything concrete yet. Still testing. Test truck has been down and we don't like to release any info until we have actual data

Back woods

Reaction score
Sorry... no spoilers as of yet. We don't have anything concrete yet. Still testing. Test truck has been down and we don't like to release any info until we have actual data

Any input on the new billet s369 compressor wheel on the website?

Vgk

Reaction score
Do you have a timeframe for the v2? Wondering if it’s worth waiting for or not. If it’s soon maybe I will do some other things for the truck first.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Do you have a timeframe for the v2? Wondering if it’s worth waiting for or not. If it’s soon maybe I will do some other things for the truck first.

Only butt dyno numbers so far... but spools way faster and makes a little more power. We hope to be getting dyno numbers here in the very near future.

Vgk

Reaction score
Do you have a final decision on that turbo yet? is it going to make the cut?

a11m1ghty

Reaction score
We did a little more 7.3 injector testing on Zac Bolen's truck... Results were a little surprising.

Truck is a 1999 F250 7.3 with irate t4 BASB turbo. 17 degree hpop. It is a dedicated tow rig that hauls heavy loads all over the country. Upwards of 30k lbs going up big grades in elevation.

He was running FF 160/100s, made good power, towed well, but struggled a little with egts while towing heavy and had an issue where it would run into icp/oil issues while towing really heavy at 3/4 throttle going up really long grades... we are pretty sure it was sucking the hpop oil reservoir dry. Very oil hungry injectors. Even on a 3.6ms tune ICP would drop to about 2700psi.

He decided to try some FF 205/30 hybrids injectors. Truck runs WAY cleaner, cooler, much easier to tow with, no more issues with sucking the oil reservoir dry. Very linear power band. EGTs are down 150-200 all across the board while towing and gained MPG. Holds a ROCK SOLID 3200icp at WOT. BUT... lost a little "oomph" down low under low throttle conditions, and top end power is down a little.

On the dyno the 205/30 brought on the power sooner, made more peak tq tq, ran cleaner, and made the same HP as the 160/100 up until 2500rpms where the power fell flat on the 205/30 and kept climbing with the 160/100... even though ICP was dropping like a rock with the 160/100s

So... why does it run so much cooler/cleaner and bring on the tq sooner? Smaller nozzles or hybrids? When we tested 180/30 vs 205/30, the 180/30 brought the power on sooner, not the hybrid. So I am going to say it is the smaller nozzle. Which makes sense because the smaller nozzle is known for better atomization and will spray the fuel farther into the stroke which increases tq.

Next on the list.... 238/80s... it will be interesting to see how they all compare.

Full Force Diesel Performance Inc.

a8RraQvh.jpg

y2Po0w8h.jpg

Sorry for reviving an old post, but have you all tested the 238/80's yet? If you, would you mind sharing your results?

Thanks in advance!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old post, but have you all tested the 238/80's yet? If you, would you mind sharing your results?

Thanks in advance!

We did put 238/80 in the truck... but ended up melting a piston before getting a lot of data.

But the quick end of it is...

205/30 run cleaner, cooler, towed with ease... didn't hardly have to even pay attention to EGTs or RPMS

238/80 had a lot more power on tap... but was not really needed for towing. You had so much power you could abuse it and egt's would skyrocket. But you typically did not need that much power in any scenario. He was still able to tow but had to be much smarter about it.

If I remember correctly he went through a lot of live tuning and got the 238/80s dialed in better to help them run cleaner and not have to worry about egts as much while towing. Kinda trying to turn them back down to 205/30 level.

He mentioned the 238/80s had much "snappier" power down low... you didn't have to press the throttle very hard at all to get the power you needed. Makes sense with a nozzle almost 3 times the size.

Street power, track, racing - 238/80 will win

Towing - No need for anything bigger than 205/30

ANDRMORR

Reaction score
KC 300x V2 update?

Tried to find an update elsewhere...
Am very interested in update for a current build up...

jbolen323

Reaction score
I have been pushing any weekend warriors/ wrenches to always go with our street package with the hybrids over the 180cc/30%. Since most people that have taken the time to get on the forums and read up on things of their own accord.

Its a very proven setup over the past few years, we have hundreds of people over the pages and facebook groups.

Do you have any specific questions I can help with ? You can always shoot us over a email directly and that is the fastest way to get a response ([email protected])

https://kcturbos.com/products/street-performance-package-7-3-powerstroke?nopreview

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Tried to find an update elsewhere...
Am very interested in update for a current build up...

Honestly as far as a towing perspective, the 30% nozzle is all you need whether on a hybrid or Acode. Once you go above that (and its doable) you need to be aware of things more and also need to drive around the truck for lack of a better term.
The test mule they are using is showing alot of real world data, however he tows very heavy. Alot heavier then most would and he does it on the regular.

One can tow heavy with an 80%, 100%, 200%, 400%. However it just becomes a chore. In most cases the novelty of the added HP wears off and you are left with a truck that you need to be more attentive to when pulling grades.

If you are strictly upgrading a tow rig a stage 1.5 sized injector will be perfect.
If you tow occasionally, or most your towing is flat ground, or under 6-8K then you could step up to the larger nozzle and just pay more attention to the gauges when hooked up.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Honestly as far as a towing perspective, the 30% nozzle is all you need whether on a hybrid or Acode. Once you go above that (and its doable) you need to be aware of things more and also need to drive around the truck for lack of a better term.

The test mule they are using is showing alot of real world data, however he tows very heavy. Alot heavier then most would and he does it on the regular.

One can tow heavy with an 80%, 100%, 200%, 400%. However it just becomes a chore. In most cases the novelty of the added HP wears off and you are left with a truck that you need to be more attentive to when pulling grades.

If you are strictly upgrading a tow rig a stage 1.5 sized injector will be perfect.

If you tow occasionally, or most your towing is flat ground, or under 6-8K then you could step up to the larger nozzle and just pay more attention to the gauges when hooked up.
That is actually very well put!! Tuning is key no matter what!

live life full throttle

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I’m am for sure going to switch these oil hungry a codes out but still debating on 205/30’s or 238/80’s to replace them? I mainly tow and at elevation. I just don’t want to lose the power I currently have with my 180/80’s.

Addicted4

Reaction score
238/80 hybrid tried and true setup. I disagree about the 30% nozzle being all you need. The 80 is more efficient at the same power level so really it comes down to having the tuner in the right setting. You shouldn’t have to even watch gauges in your tow tune period.

You know what would be nice is if these turbo builders, tuners, injector builders that show us this info that x injector makes this power which is unusable anyways why not dyno and show true tow tune usable power levels??? Why they don’t I think they would sell less parts or make less power than the next shop.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Yes real world type tunes. I agree I really don’t care about “how much” power I make, I want to know how much “sustainable power” I can make. My 180/80’s are Smokey no matter who’s tuning I use. I’m looking for the same power but with less smoke and less high pressure oil consumption

Latest posts

Members online