Continued chip/pcm issues

mandkole

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly how the J3 port on the pcm interacts w the pcm?

I need to get more serious on figuring this out. Still hassling with random (usually cold) poor starts--either a heavy romping or a heavily late timing/smoke show like the whisper tune that's on the chip. Got good clean connections on the j3.

When it defaults to the 'whisper', the chip switch does not function and it's like it's 'stuck'. You have to disconnect the batteries, unhook the chip and reset the pcm. However, I can pull the chip and it will accurately start every single time. Kinda unrelated but the batts never have more than 12.3v in them and could be getting tired.

Once the engine is warm and has been running, it's just fine.

I've been procrastinating on some new tunes and should just get a hydra--need to figure out if it's a hardware issue.

I've considered trying to start the truck w chip installed but the switch disconnected. Just don't want to fry the pcm lol...

mandkole

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked at that stuff before. The issue is more predictable when colder and after the batts have sat longer. A good charge seems to help but doesn't prevent. The thing I always come back to is the great starts when the chip is unplugged. I was wondering if the j3 was more sensitive to voltage but didn't know how it's wired..

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Were the tunes "converted" to 224k for the TS chip?
Also common problem.
I chased my tail for a whole summer, accusing the PCM, chips, switches, etc before I figured this out.

mandkole

Reaction score
Oh, that's a good question-- have no idea. Wouldn't know how to check.

The chip has been in the truck for at least 10 yrs..

mandkole

Reaction score
What would happen if I attempted a start on a chip without a switch plugged in? I was hoping to recreate a failed start, but if it's not safe I won't go there.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It has been in for 10 years? Has the chip recently came unplugged while the keys where in the ignition or while running?

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
As a quick update, got the truck out yesterday and had good starts all day after being on charger. I've been concerned with the batts (they're 5 yrs old now) and seem to drop voltage fast (12.2v after a couple days sitting). I never see more than 11.0-11.2v when the plugs and pump are running @ koeo so I've been concerned if the batts are starting to struggle. I'm going to keep the batts on the maintenance charge each day now and see what happens.

This voltage theory still doesn't jive given that it will start fine w no chip. But I've wondered if low voltage now affects the chip.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
As a quick update, got the truck out yesterday and had good starts all day after being on charger. I've been concerned with the batts (they're 5 yrs old now) and seem to drop voltage fast (12.2v after a couple days sitting). I never see more than 11.0-11.2v when the plugs and pump are running @ koeo so I've been concerned if the batts are starting to struggle. I'm going to keep the batts on the maintenance charge each day now and see what happens.

This voltage theory still doesn't jive given that it will start fine w no chip. But I've wondered if low voltage now affects the chip.
Low voltage effects everything on these trucks

live life full throttle

jopes1

Reaction score
I hope you get this figured out, I have a similar issue and it's annoying. I'll keep watching you to see what the fix is.

Latest posts