Looking at a 2010 F450

pjcf250

Reaction score
I originally had a 2001 F250 with a 7.3. Then I traded it for a 2015 F250. It is a great truck. But I have always wanted a dually for some reason. And I pull my cargo trailer enough to justify it. That being said, a friend of mine is selling his 2010 F450. It has about 60k miles. It’s a lariat and very clean with Aftermarket 22” wheels. It’s a really nice truck and I want it. And that’s why I’m posting.
I’ll probably give my current truck to my wife and I’ll drive the F450. What should I consider when looking at this truck? He has done the EGR ****** and I’ll get a list of other mods. I hear horror stories about the 6.4 but it’s from people that do not even drive one. So I have no clue what to think about this truck.
Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Why? Not being a smart ass. Just curious what it is with these trucks.

you went from old age reliability with the 7.3, to the new age reliability of a 6.7.

Going back to 6.4 is a step in the wrong direction. Remember that Navistar rushed the engine into production to meet the emission requirements. Long term, this proved detrimental to the longevity of the engine. Not only that, there are some inherent design flaws that are impossible to detect or avoid. High pressure fuel pump, cracked pistons and lifters are the first that come to mind. That doesnt even include worn/broken rocker arms, cracked egr coolers etc. I know people will say just remove the emissions components and you will be fine but i have proved otherwise. They are gutless fuel whores in stock form and a ticking time bomb in tuned form. When a six four goes down, it is never a cheap fix. Over 30% of engine related failures in most six fours end up being catastrophic or require major engine work.

Harley-6.4

Reaction score
Hey Pjcf250 I have a 2010 f250 Harley 6.4 with patriot aka ******* tuning egr ****** exhaust s&b air intake hot and cold pipes with 145K miles on it. Never had one problem except my stupid self with tuning it I did the relearn process and rushed and blew it up sooo. I got a built one with billet shafts and other goodies. But for the money the 6.4 makes the most power hands down. Also PM me if you want a list of parts I can give you some links.

pjcf250

Reaction score
Hey Pjcf250 I have a 2010 f250 Harley 6.4 with patriot aka ******* tuning egr ****** exhaust s&b air intake hot and cold pipes with 145K miles on it. Never had one problem except my stupid self with tuning it I did the relearn process and rushed and blew it up sooo. I got a built one with billet shafts and other goodies. But for the money the 6.4 makes the most power hands down. Also PM me if you want a list of parts I can give you some links.

I’ll pm you

pjcf250

Reaction score
I am leery because I hear “don’t buy a 6.4” from buddies... but they have never worked one. So I do appreciate the input on this forum way more than random buddies telling me their input. I appreciate the input good and bad.
The guy I could get it from is extremely anal. I know him personally. Not that it makes the truck any better.
I would be buying it for $28,000. It’s immaculate overall.
I can find out exactly what was done to it also in case more folks chime in.

doo dah

Reaction score
My opinion is keep the 6.7. If you must have a dually then get a 11-16 350 DRW. I have a SRW 350 with 215k miles and it pulls great, so good I don't think I would benefit from a dually even with the weight I am pulling most of the time (15k lbs). I have friend with a 08 f250 and he has had no issues, still has all emissions on it too but he doesn't drive it much so take it for what it is worth. I have had 7.3s and didn't get back into PSD until the 6.7, Ford did it right this time with the engine and the transmission.

pjcf250

Reaction score
I’m keeping the 2015 also. I want my wife to drive it and we get rid of her car.
I own a custom cabinet business and I can’t afford to be without a truck. So having 2 is what I’m after.

Spatel23

Reaction score
for 28k id buy a 6.7 450
youll probably need to spend more then 28k to get a nicely optioned 11+ 450 but youll be money ahead still

GregWork

Reaction score
I too thought I wanted a 6.4 F450....until I went looking. All I could find were problems. Some had issues with only 20K on a new motor on a 60K total vehicle. The more I looked and researched the more I realized the 6.4 was a 100-150K disposable engine and after looking at hundreds of 6.0 and 6.4s I decided 6.7 was the way to go. I still had to look at dozens of those to find one that wasn't totally beat to crap.

In the end I paid less than the 2010-450 you're looking at for a 2012 F350 SRW Lariat CCLB. So I'm sure if you look for a while you can find a 2011-2012 F450 for the $28K range your thinking about.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I would tend to agree and stay away as well, we have seen more catostrophic failures out of them then all other psd combined

Jonnydime

Reaction score
08-10's are cool and all but if you want to use the truck to work and make money I would buy a 15+ 450. There is no point in buying a 11-14 450 if you are comparing 08-10 450's you might as well look at 350's. 08-10's are good trucks but unless you a capable of doing most of your own work and can handle having a truck down for months at a time (if major issues come up) I would buy a 15+ truck.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Avoid it, get a 11+ or even better yet 15+ 450.

The only way I would even consider a 6.4 (especially for work) is if the engine was torn down and rebuilt with IH delipped pistons, new lifters, rockers, cylinder heads, studs, de/leted etc.

6.4s arent worth the risk.

This is coming from owning multiple 6.4s.

Play truck go ahead

Work truck duty meh..

Jsexton

Reaction score
I agree also, I own 6.4 unless you have about 15-20k to spend when the motor goes down don't do it. Yes a 6.4 is fun weekend truck but not a reliable work truck... Or if you can do all the work your self when it goes down.... spend a little extra on the front end get you a good f350 or 450 6.7 and rock on....

Shafer171

Reaction score
I agree with the others. I own a 6.4 but I would never buy another one especially for a daily drive/work truck. Imo 28k is pretty steep as well.

pjcf250

Reaction score
I do appreciate the input. And it will be used.
I’m gonna look into another 6.7. I honestly don’t need a 450 at all. A 350 is plenty. I only pull a 20’ cargo trailer full of cabinets. The dually is a “want” more than a need. The second truck is needed.

Black AOD

Reaction score
OP, Ill just go ahead and spell it all out.

Sootie (Ron) and Spatel23 (Shone) are absolutely right. Avoid them.

Radiator horror stories.

Pistons crack in stock form.

Rockers are lucky to last 100k if not go out sooner which is mainly due to poor top end oil lubrication.

K16 HPFP and injectors go out randomly.

Heads have horrible casting issues and crack very easily.

Ford Reman Blocks have major casting issues as well.

I can keep going but prefer not to....

Save yourself heart ache and money. Buy a 6.7 and try to avoid 2011 model years

Strokersace

Reaction score
We have 2 in the family (my Dad and I). Bought both trucks needing motors. I do all my own work and rebuilt both engines from the ground up myself. And I assume the risk of failures and can afford to have both down for a while when I fix them.

Although I love how they run, haul loads, etc. I wouldn't buy one if I wasn't capable of doing all of my own work. As others have said, it's not if something happens... It's when! And it's usually not a simple cheap fix.

Yes people do have success with them and don't have many problems, but it's very few and far between. Lower mileage and meticulous maintenance is ideal. But not for that price range.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.