TP38 to GTP38, GTP38r or D66

brockshields38

Reaction score
So looking to swap out my stock turbo as she’s gettin a little worn out. Wondering what would be a good drop in option. I’ve heard that the SD GTP38 might be a good choice for faster spool, now what advantage would I get from going to the ball bearing GTP38r. And what’s this D66 I heard someone mention something about it being a “Frankenstein” if you will, of the TP38 and GTP put together? Over all I’m looking for a simple swap, not looking to get much gain out of it but the wastegate will be nice when I do decide to upgrade injectors.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If your gonna do a SD swap, do the GTP38R. The 66mm wheel on a stock turbo doesn’t compare to the ball bearing turbo.

dsberman94

Reaction score
If you’re honestly going to take the time to swap to super duty equipment, just go t4 and be done with it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
If you’re honestly going to take the time to swap to super duty equipment, just go t4 and be done with it.
This I agree with.

Coming from someone who did a SD setup on an OBS, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Especially when looking at n aftermarket turbo for the setup.

Spend the time and money on a T4 setup and you'll be ahead in the long run.

brockshields38

Reaction score
Ok I’m new with turbos. So hopefully you could hold my hand so to speak, simply put. What is a t4 setup, what’s included in this?

gnxtc2

Reaction score

^^^^ This by far

Ok I’m new with turbos. So hopefully you could hold my hand so to speak, simply put. What is a t4 setup, what’s included in this?

A T4 set up basically changes the reverse rotation stock turbo to the more common regular rotation turbo. By going to a regular rotation turbo, your choose are plentiful. A T4 conversion is one of those mods that you wondered why you haven't done it sooner.

There are some prerequisites for an OBS truck: E-fuel and intercooler.

Billy T.
[email protected]

79jasper

Reaction score
A T4 set up basically changes the reverse rotation stock turbo to the more common regular rotation turbo. By going to a regular rotation turbo, your choose are plentiful.

Let me sound real dumb here for uno momento por favor....
I've never understood why people mention the rotation. In is in, out is out. Right?
What does it turning the opposite direction have to do with anything?
Maybe there's just something about it I'm not getting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've never understood why people mention the rotation. In is in, out is out. Right?

It’s just the point of why it opens up so many more options.

psduser1

Reaction score

I'd also suggest a t4 setup on an obs.
Rotation, for all intents and purposes, determines where the charge air discharge port is located, heigthwise.
And, as noted above, there are a lot more options for a standard rotation turbo, even with garret turbos. The 38r is pretty limited, especially in a performance application.
T4 usually refers to borg-warner turbos, fyi.

brockshields38

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info everyone! So I basically need a whole kit is what you’re saying. Obs intercooler kit, t4 setup (pedistal) maybe a s300xe with 66mm inducer and 80mm turbine and a 1.00 turbine housing (that’s a/r on exhaust side?) how would this setup turn out with 238/80 or /100 swamps? Do I need a new manifold? New d/p? What flange does the d/p need, is it 3”? Like I said I’m newbie with turbos I know more about the simple stuff but this is something I don’t wanna chance and not have things that aren’t meant to go together like too big of injectors and risk a runaway turbo or surge it bad, does the BorgWarner have a wastegate?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info everyone! So I basically need a whole kit is what you’re saying. Obs intercooler kit, t4 setup (pedistal) maybe a s300xe with 66mm inducer and 80mm turbine and a 1.00 turbine housing (that’s a/r on exhaust side?) how would this setup turn out with 238/80 or /100 swamps? Do I need a new manifold? New d/p? What flange does the d/p need, is it 3”? Like I said I’m newbie with turbos I know more about the simple stuff but this is something I don’t wanna chance and not have things that aren’t meant to go together like too big of injectors and risk a runaway turbo or surge it bad, does the BorgWarner have a wastegate?

https://www.iratediesel.com/irdie/7-3l-power-combos/ultimate-7-3l-tow-package-400-475rwhp/

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
This I agree with.

Coming from someone who did a SD setup on an OBS, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Especially when looking at n aftermarket turbo for the setup.

Spend the time and money on a T4 setup and you'll be ahead in the long run.
Holy chit.... did hell just freeze over? You actually agreed with berman on something?

Its funny when people are talking about going to a t4 setup on a obs.. must not know that a obs has a t4 flange on it already. Lmao!

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
Holy chit.... did hell just freeze over? You actually agreed with berman on something?

Its funny when people are talking about going to a t4 setup on a obs.. must not know that a obs has a t4 flange on it already. Lmao!

live life full throttle
Believe me... It was difficult!
I know that the OBS trucks have a T4 flange but it's easier to say a T4 conversion to a newbie. On an OBS, you're just changing the style of turbo to a normal rotation.

Billy T.
[email protected]
^This...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.