Fueling Small Hybrids

spencer922

Reaction score
What specs are generally required for adequately fueling of small hybrids or stage 2's?

I want to step into a 200/30, but I have not done E-Fuel yet and wonder how viable it is to install and monitor pressures before assembling & installing the e-fuel setup. I haven't had a chance to get a reading on my fuel pressure but right now my HPOP is at around 2300 psi @ WOT on stock sticks. Comments/concerns?

On a side note, does anyone have experience with this injector setup and KC Turbos OBS drop in?

Thanks for the help!

-Spencer

ghohouston

Reaction score
You have either a weak hpop, or a high pressure oil leak, if you can only make 2,300 psi. You need to go e fuel, without a doubt. I went to a 6.0 electric pump, and a super duty 7.3 hpop reservoir/fuel filter housing/and sd lines that run up the side of the engine.Other than the 6.0 pump, that stuff bolts on, looks factory, and filters are available everywhere. It can also likely be found cheaper than an "e fuel kit", from this forum, online, junkyards, etc. I dont have an exact number, but I'd say in total, less than $200 in e fuel, plus a 38 gallon super duty plastic tank with hutch and harpoon mods. Of course, if you actually have money to spend, the e fuel kits are nice.

mandkole

Reaction score
Tell us a bit more about the truck-- any tuning, miles, etc? I ask because 2300 on stock tuning is a tad weak but isn't completely out of range. I ran 2500 on stock tuning with tired injs, 15* pump, good orings.

As said a larger inj like a stg2 needs good oil and fuel supply for best performance. Minimum, 17* pump and efuel.

spencer922

Reaction score
So the truck is mostly stock. I've owned it for 10+ years I've just now gotten to the point where I can afford to get some updated parts. CCLB truck w/ 4.10's and 33's. Original injectors as far as I can tell. It was owned by a family member since new before me. 272k

Has PHP tuning. Pretty much stock everything other the transmission which is built sans billet hard parts. I was thinking about trying to get away with not doing HPOP or fuel system at same time. I could probably swing 1 or the other along with injectors but was hoping to avoid burning tax refund in one full swipe.

Heaviest loads on 5k-7k boat, car trailer, small RV, and horse trailer during the summer. Do pull over the mountain ranges here in WA & OR.

Over time I envision it will have Adrenaline HPO, intercooler, KC drop in, and e-fuel. Then be done with it.

JCart

Reaction score
There are a number of ways to do efuel. If you have time to source parts it’s not that bad, regulator, e pump, oil pressure switch, fuel filters and odds and ends for plumbing in. Lots of different configurations out there you just need to research some. I’d recommend the 7.3 stock E fuel pump as they are bullet proof can be sourced anywhere. I purchased two from a wreckers and they have (one) has ran strong for thousands of Kms. Other one is still on the shelf in my shop. I bought filter heads that fit a Donaldson P55800 water separator/20 micron filter, then ran through pump into Cat 1R-750 that filters down to 2 microns. Both filters have same thread and pitch so same filter head, these filters are very common and good quality. They are spin on steel canisters that I’ve mounted on a plate with pump inside driver’s frame rail before front tank. Use a quality Relay and I’ve ran the ground circuit through an oil pressure switch to the pump. Pressure switch is mounted on small port at stock oil filter head assembly, 1/8” NPT as I recall. This is in case you flop the truck over/accident loss of oil pressure shuts down pump. Some guys also wire in an enertia switch, system shuts down in accident. Not a lot to it just do some research on here and PSN.

j

superpsd

Reaction score
You can detune it for a mechanical pump but E-fuel is so much better on many levels. Better stable pressure. I've ran the mechanical on big injectors in fact I had a new mechanical Carter (oem) pump not last more than 1000 miles and sent debris in to my regulator. I yanked that junk and went E-fuel with a SD pump. A mechanical fuel pump are also a pain to swap out. A electric pump is an easy road side repair and I keep a spare in the truck. As for the hpop just install some hybrids with good tuning and if it cant hold the pressure desired upgrade the pump. Low ICP will not hurt injectors however low fuel pressure can damage injectors. Just get some Hybrids and Efuel now and upgrade the turbo latter. The stock turbo will be ok as long as your not pushing it too hard.

Latest posts

Members online