No HPOP pressure

haligen

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been trying for several weeks in vain to get this fixed. To begin with the problem started shortly after changing the injectors. I had some hybrids that were not playing nicely with my tuning and decided to pull them out until I could get them looked at. I installed the stock injectors with new o-rings and washers. The truck started up and was running pretty good. I was planning on leaving for a camping trip the next day so I took it out to run it fairly hard in hopes of getting all the air worked out. About 15 mins into the ride I punched the throttle and heard a pop, the motor shut down like a bad CPS. Trying to restart it I had RPMs when cranking but was making no high pressure oil (I have a DP tuner infinity), duty cycle was at 54%. Had it strapped to a friends house and started looking at things.

Disconnected the ICP sensor, still no start
Removed and checked every injector, all o-rings where good and the injectors were firmly seated. No oil was coming out of a spout so I assume no stuck poppets
Changed to another IPR, got it to run but then immediately died if you put it in drive.
Swapped the old one back in, same thing
Changed the CPS for the hell of it with a NAPA Echlin
Checked the oil filter relief valve (or whatever its called under the filter) was still in place.
Had a melling LPOP that I had been meaning to install, still no difference, reservoir always had oil in it when I pulled the plug.
Changed the HPOP, it ran for a little while but once warm died and wouldn't restart till it cooled down
Installed a new motorcraft IPR
Finally started building high pressure oil, got the truck started and took it for a decent ride. The whole time I was driving it I had a decent amount of smoke coming out of the tail pipe and a good bit of smoke coming out of the crank case vent (figured it was from the oil that had collected in the cylinders and exhaust from changing the injectors).
Since I had been messing around under the valve covers I had only put a few bolts back in to hold them on while testing. During which I somehow blew almost all the oil out of the drivers side valve cover and caused the truck to shut down. The whole side of the truck and underside were coated in oil.
I refilled the oil and have yet to get the truck to start.
Thinking I might have had a leak in the heads and to rule out the pump I deadheaded it and got an adapter to use a spare ICP sensor to check pressure. At 54% duty cycle and a good bit of cranking I max out at around 115psi. Probably this LPOP pressure but haven't confirmed.
A second pump acts the same way.

At this point I'm lost as to where to go next. I know the HPOP gear is engaged, I have the right gasket style for the pump, the bolt is tight, and the reservoir has oil in it. I should be making at least some pressure I would think. Any help as to what I could be overlooking would be wonderful.

Current mods and replaced parts:
New head gaskets with ARP studs, Comp Cam springs, and new injector cups.
KC38R turbo
E-fuel
all oil galley plugs replaced (internal and external)
oil cooler rebuilt
EBP valve removed
Melling LPOP
PHP Hydra, but running stock tune while trying to sort this mess out
BTS Trans
Mishimoto Radiator
Upgraded to Super Duty UVCH
Modded IDM
and probably other stuff I'm forgetting

MossBack

Reaction score
I would pressure test with shop air. -5 ORB is the fitting size in the head and get something to thread in a air fitting and see if she leaks. I know you checked o-rings but you have to have a pretty good leak somewhere. I had one 7.3 that i did injectors in and 20,000 miles later had the similar hard start.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Have you had the valve covers off to see if oil is coming from we’re the injectors go in while your cranking?

haligen

Reaction score
Have you had the valve covers off to see if oil is coming from we’re the injectors go in while your cranking?

I have, and didn't notice anything. Right now I'm not even connected to the heads. I'm measuring right from the pump with it deadheaded and can't build more then about 115psi.

79jasper

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the hpop is even filling?
You say the gear is engaged and bolt tight, but you should pull the bolt to make 110% sure the gear is seated to the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
As long as the HPOP is good, that’s the only left. You Hearing the “Pop” has me concerned

DieselDC

Reaction score
I’m doubting the hpop. Like above, pull the bolt and make damn sure it’s installed and tq down correctly. Brand new hpop should give you them trouble.

The other (I know stupid butttt) was the injector removal and reinstall - washers came out with each injector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haligen

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the hpop is even filling?
You say the gear is engaged and bolt tight, but you should pull the bolt to make 110% sure the gear is seated to the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's the crazy part, the reservoir is full. When cranking I can reach about 115psi, when I stop the pressure drops off. I have a mechanical gauge, I'll see if I can get it plumbed into the reservoir plug tomorrow to validate the LPOP pressure.

I pulled the bolt from the front and could feel the gear engaged and seated, then I torqued it to 100ftlbs. The system is relatively simple that's why I'm so aggravated. The only thing I haven't done yet is force the IPR shut with a steady 12v's. I can see on my monitor the computer is requesting 54% but whether it is actually getting the voltage to do it I've yet to check. Maybe thats the next place I need to visit.

Last edited:

haligen

Reaction score
I guess I could best describe it as like a louder version of a kids cork pop gun. Wasn't a metallic noise or anything.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I would put your factory cps sensor back in. Take the new ipr back to ford and tell them it was bad so you can get another new one to rule that out or borrow a known good one. I’m not sure why your ipr duty cycle would stop at 54 if it isn’t starting. It should keep going up. Next would be set your hydra to 00 then key off and key on again and see if it starts. Not starting might be tune related. Being super Smokey could be a blown boot or turbo issue even though it seems it’s fairly new.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Need to find out if it's electrical vs mechanical.

Do a visual inspection of the engine harness, making sure no bare/cracked insulation, didn't mix up the ICP connector with the EBPV connector.

I would verify LPO

Then deadhead the HPOP with a manual gauge. And go from there.

Report back your findings

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don’t think so. The ICP plug is the same 3 wire pigtail as the Exhaust back pressure sensor.

haligen

Reaction score
Need to find out if it's electrical vs mechanical.

Do a visual inspection of the engine harness, making sure no bare/cracked insulation, didn't mix up the ICP connector with the EBPV connector.

I would verify LPO

Then deadhead the HPOP with a manual gauge. And go from there.

Report back your findings

Billy T.
[email protected]

A manual gauge in the reservoir plug hole shows 40psi cold. I'll assume that the LPOP is functioning as it should. I double checked all the wiring, getting battery voltage to the IPR connector (which is new) with KOEO, then I made a quick pigtail harness and went directly to the battery. No change in HPOP pressure while cranking. I need to get a 4k pressure gauge to check the HPOP manually. Right now I'm using a spare ICP sensor with an adapter to fit it to the HPOP discharge hose.

Latest posts

Members online