Hybrid injector tow tune power vs others

Addicted4

Reaction score
Looking to do injectors in my truck this year, 318k miles on the stockers. I’ve been out of the diesel world for along time so I’d figured I would ask a couple questions.

Do you go with a bigger injector with less pulse width or smaller injector ? I remember lots of threads and it would go back and forth on this topic but I’m sure that tuning has evolved some in the last 5 or so years.

238/80 hybrid vs 160/0 vs 200/30 for a towing injector only as it’s a truck not a race car.

How much power does a hybrid make in a tow tune vs other injectors?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I use my second hottest file with my setup for everything. I dont ever need to change it. I have to work to exceed 1250*

INFRNL

Reaction score
Where are you located (elevation)?

Mike says he has no issues with his 238/100's; if he came to Colorado I bet that would change real quick. I can hit over 1600* easily with my 250/100's on my top 2 hottest tunes. I can break 1250 on any tune other than modified stock and this is with the truck empty.

My point is elevation plays a huge role in what ea setup does. No matter what you are after there are going to be a ton of opinions on which route to go.

some like 160/0 because you can easily get replacements from international if something were to happen. I think all 3 of you listed choices would do just fine. from those I'd probably go with the 238/80 as you would have plenty of headroom if you want to play every once in a while.

there are different levels of tow tunes, 25, 40, 65, 80...econo, med, hvy. different tuners use slightly different strategies as with all tuning. I'm not sure what the actual power points would be.

I just realized that there has been nor response in the past month. Have you made conclusions?

Addicted4

Reaction score
I haven’t as I’ve been doing a coil swap on the front and 14 rear springs. Decide ride and comfort was more important.

I want one tune not multiple, I’ve done my share of chasing power in the past and that’s not what I’m looking for. A solid 300-350 at the tire that can tow without egt issues no matter what I’m towing.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I hear you on the comfort part. Air ride seats like in a semi would make our trucks feel better. My 1ton dually can ride like a tank at times and is horrible on concrete roads.

Last time I had my truck lifted i used Bilstein shocks, this time I used fox and I think my truck did a bit better with the Bilstein. I think my rear is too stiff atm.

I hope your plan works out for you. I'm not sure what the best route is to go on that. I've heard going to coils up front and later model rear springs (2011 and newer?) Because they are longer and work better.

14 leaf packs in the rear... That's a lot of spring but should also help carry your load. Best of luck and hope it turns out to be worth all the effort

Addicted4

Reaction score
The swap is done and the ride and turning is greatly improved. This is my third truck I’ve swapped the coil front end. First time for the rear spring upgrade and it was worth it and recommend it to anyone willing to do it.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
14 leaf packs in the rear... That's a lot of spring but should also help carry your load. Best of luck and hope it turns out to be worth all the effort

I think he means 2014 leaf springs, not a 14 leaf spring pack. They're much softer and longer.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Yes they are 2014 springs, 2 leafs plus the bottom overload. Much softer and 8” longer.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Oh... Hahahaha. I guess I misread that part.

I thought about doing the coil front end upgrade and newer rear springs but never motivated myself for a project like that.

However that doesn't make too much sense, since I'm building a 76 f350 cclb on a 2001 rolling chassis. I went with a coilover kit in the front and just 99-03 rear lift springs. I have to shorten the frame, so i suppose I could look into the newer rears. I'll see how these lift springs ride first before I shorten the frame. I probably should have went with the better turning front end but didn't think about it too much, oh well. I'm used to non turning trucks.

Glad you are happy.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just ordered 250/80 hybrids for my dd/tow truck hopefully have them installed by next weekend

Addicted4

Reaction score
So far so good, stock turbo with ported housing spools fine and egts aren’t a issue in my 2 tow tunes. T500 keeps oil flowing and walbro gsl392 fuel pump. Going to pick up a CCSB obs Saturday so it’ll be my first real tow since the swap

Addicted4

Reaction score
So towed 4k lbs 194 miles with no issues. Egts were in check never over 1050. Once I loaded the ccsb powerstroke on 35’s the truck seemed to lug a little and build some heat but once in 3rd ran clean at around 1-1100* no issues. I wish with the 35’s and 3.73’s I had a little more gear like 4.10’s or 4.30’s. I don’t tow super fast 60-65 mph. I did pull a pretty good grade and ran up to 72mph to get the rpms up and the truck pulled no issue. I 364.5 I believe is in my future as well as 4.30’s just my opinion

JDelaney

Reaction score
I would do the turbo first, then reevaluate weather or not you need more gear. I went 4.30s, upgraded injectors, upgraded to a 364.5, then went back to 3.73s.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Copy, just seems to not like running at 20k lbs at 15-1600 rpms on small to moderate inclines. Maybe a turbo would help but I know rpm helps. Granted the stock turbo with ported housing is doing fine with the hybrids and keeping heat in check just don’t know if I’ll gain that much at this power level to warrant a turbo at the moment.

How much of a difference did you notice in your tow tune when you switched to the 364.5? What turbo were you running prior with what injector?

JDelaney

Reaction score
I was running a van turbo with 160/30 injectors. The 364.5 made a WORLD of difference. I never used the tow tune, kept it on 80hp/economy. At 1800RPM it felt like the turbo was directly connected to the pedal and EGTs were never a problem towing a 40' toy hauler. My gearing and tire size put me at 2000RPM at 70.

Addicted4

Reaction score
One complaint I do have is the blue smoke on start ups, don’t know if it’s a injector issue or tuning. Once oil temps get up it stops like a light switch.

Addicted4

Reaction score
If I keep rpm at 1800-2k I have no issues but I’m hauling the mail in od. I still need to swap the rear axle out so I may go 4.10 or 4.30. The truck is a tow rig/ second rig not a daily. I have the Honda or the wife’s Acura for that.

Latest posts

Members online