I Need some help / Advice

Loneranger307

Reaction score
I have a 2002 F250 7.3l Lariat 4wd automatic transmission 230,000 thousand miles the last owner always changed the oil and took care of it , Well 2 years after ownership and a Couple thousand dollars into the truck recently, I’ve been having issues with it starting at all , I just changed glow plugs / Glow plug relay , I shimed and put new o rings on the injectors , new starter, new batteries , changed all the relays and fuses , cam position sensor and I’ve bought 2 starters because I thought mine was bad , When I go to start it I just get a mechanical sound and the tach goes up and down , it sounds like the solenoid in the starter is not engaging the fly wheel , so that’s where the second starter came in and the same problem I’ve tested everything with a volt meter that gets power or has to do with starting the truck and I’m still getting that whining sound when I go to start , I just don’t get it I’ve replaced everything that allows the truck to start , cleaned battery posts I’m mean everything, I would like someone to tell me what I’m doing wrong ?? Please and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
So your having issues with the starter turning the engine over? Where are you getting your starters from?

What’s shimming injectors?

Loneranger307

Reaction score
So your having issues with the starter turning the engine over? Where are you getting your starters from?

What’s shimming injectors?

Shimming the injectors is basically checking the tolerances on the injectors and if it’s not the correct tolerance you as a shim to it , and ones an OEM Ford motorcraft and the other one I bought was from O’Reilly auto parts

Loneranger307

Reaction score
So it’s not turning over?

Yeah it doesn’t even sound like the solenoid is being activated so that the gear can make contact with the flywheel to start the engine, the whole reason I’m posting is just to get clarification that I’m not missing something , I’ve went through the whole check list of things that cause a 7.3 to not want to start . I don’t know what else would cause this ? I’ve combed through the forums looking for an answer , I’m not a mechanic by any means so I could just be a dumb ass and am missing something simple that’s very possible

Loneranger307

Reaction score
Flywheel missing some teeth?

Yeah I’m going to have to check that out , I never thought of that because the starter I took off from when I had bought the truck didn’t look beat up , the starting gear was not missing any teeth .

Arisley

Reaction score
Pull the starter and the flywheel cover and see if you can turn the flywheel by hand. These flywheels have been known to break.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Isn’t the tach based on the cam position sensor. Kinda weird that moves to read rpm if the engine isn’t turning over.

19.5s

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with mine except it was a cold-start problem and shimming the injectors worked. At the same time, i did have a battery issue too. I took the batteries to O'Reillys twice to have them checked out and they said they tested fine even though they would not turn the truck over but 1 revolution. Long story short, I replaced the batteries with AGM batteries from the same place and the truck turned over fine.

I have had experiences with large inch/high compression V-twin bikes not engaging the starter due to low amperage in the battery even though it measured 12 volts.

The 2 things I would look at are your starter solenoid and batteries, regardless if they are new or not. If a solenoid is out, you wont hear the starter gear engaging the flywheel. If it is batteries, the starter gear might engage but not have the amperage to turn the truck over.

TjMiller

Reaction score
Jump the starter out and check the voltage drop - that should give you a clue. Post a video

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So the starter engages but doesn't turn the flywheel? Or it just clicks? Either it is hydro locked or you dont have enough amperage to spin it over.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online