twin PSD powered 10 M

psduser1

Reaction score
A stock forged rod engine is easily capable of supporting 500 hp. A girdle and some other simple mods will add to reliability. The money will be in the heads, injectors, and air side. Once again, someone like swamps is going to be a valuable resource. Carson Stauffer is another, diesel innovations, just guys offhand that are associated with this forum.
You'll find the info on this site generally accurate, obviously there is a few different approaches.
I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I'm pretty sure the pcm will need a tps to control the throttle. That's part of the electronic package, lol. No throttle cables.

Reaction score
i guess the best thing to do then is to build the internals for 500 hp range and just dial it back!
great thing about the early engines is that they have forged rods, right? not that powder crush garbage.

are the cranks forged or cast?

i wonder if they make a fully forged rotating assembly for these and H beams instead of the I beams.
ive seen some pretty gnarly 7.3's on youtube. but there a little more costly than my pocket book allows.

the 340 cfm heads i had shipped to the east coast to a pontiac builder.
i need to find a place than has a flow bench locally than can port these..
again, more research needed.

My shop is just over an hour north of Sacramento, let me know if you need any parts or advice. We have a machinist local to us that is diesel friendly. Just finished a set of ported 7.3 heads for me.

IDIoit

Reaction score
A stock forged rod engine is easily capable of supporting 500 hp. A girdle and some other simple mods will add to reliability. The money will be in the heads, injectors, and air side. Once again, someone like swamps is going to be a valuable resource. Carson Stauffer is another, diesel innovations, just guys offhand that are associated with this forum.
You'll find the info on this site generally accurate, obviously there is a few different approaches.
I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I'm pretty sure the pcm will need a tps to control the throttle. That's part of the electronic package, lol. No throttle cables.

yes throttle cables!!! haha
and yes TPS's. i know that the engine needs a TPS, but the helm controls are cable.
the cables reach from the helm to the engine bay.
and theres one on each side.
i do agree 100% that the PCM will need a TPS,
but instead of modifying the helm controls i will make some sort of bracket to attach the cable to the TPS.

My shop is just over an hour north of Sacramento, let me know if you need any parts or advice. We have a machinist local to us that is diesel friendly. Just finished a set of ported 7.3 heads for me.

i will take you up on this!!! i travel to plumas county quite a bit, it will give me an excuse to visit my parents lol
do you guys have a flow bench?

another thing ive found on my research is that the 97 and the 01 heads are the same exact part number and appear to look identical.
cali version of the 97, and a federal 01.
am i missing something?
the only difference i see is the placement of the fuel input.
but both heads have the same amount of plugs.

Help like this will be invaluable
agreed!
the only places around here are places that only do bolt on type stuff...
i will not be paying someone to install a tuner.
i can do that crap on my own, and the machining of the engines i will be doing also..
but i cannot do port work in my rookie state.

perhaps i can pay extra and be taught how to do my own port work nudgenudge

Last edited:
Reaction score
We don't have a flow bench here but I believe a hot rod shop in Chico does. With a diesel, the gain we're after with the head porting is just to reduce the restriction to boost entering the cylinder. There's no fuel in the air charge to worry about.

As far as the blocks go, the heads should inner change, but the Superduty block as more webbing cast in. Early Superduties still had factory forged rods.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
How do you plan on offsetting the weight difference. A dressed BBC weighs around 650lbs where a 7.3 is around 1000lbs each.

IDIoit

Reaction score
a BBC does indeed weigh 650 lbs. but marine applications throw everyone off.
with water cooled exhaust on a BBC they are cast iron, we weighed an exhaust manifold that had a cut out so that you can route the exhaust through the drive or the transom, one manifold, and the elephant (elbow) weighed in at a whopping 123 lbs
a dry 7.3 is just shy of 1/2 a ton, 940 lbs IIRC
so the weight isnt so much different.

i just wont invite fat chicks :D

BTW, nice rack

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
they run Bravo 3 drives with these marine powerstrokes.
you can get several different gear ratios, im bouncing inbetween 1.85's and 2.0's
these are a dual prop drive, they can handle the torque!
im not trying to make this super fast.
im targeting for 60-70 mph range.
and most of all, make it super reliable.
i wont be racing it, if i wanna race, ill grab one of my v-drives!
theres always someone faster than you. so im gonna do my best to satisfy my soul rather than someone else!

Bravo 3 will not hold up behind those motors stock, The reason they work with the marine PS is they derate them till about 2800rpm.

If it was me I would ditch the twin motor for one built motor with a surface drive. With the weight of two diesel motors and two outdrives you will be money ahead with one.

If your shooting for 500 a motor why not do one 1000hp 12v,CR, or 6.6, I know they are not a ford motor but they are cheap to build and way eaiser to get 1k out of.

I have been around boats my entire life this idea has crossed my mind way more then I should admit but at the end of the day you are going to have a heavy noise turd that will eat bravo 3 for lunch.

I hope your prove me wrong trust me I do but I dont think you will.

IDIoit

Reaction score
the length of a 12V wont fit in the engine compartment.
... arnesons will hold up just fine!
ive seen bravo 3's behind 750 hp big blocks!
thanks man, you just made my search even more exciting!

TurboM700

Reaction score
Hey best of luck to you I really hope it works out and I think it will if you go easy on the sticks till you are up on plane.

Just keep in mind a 750hp big block is about half the tourqe of a 500hp PS. Its the low rpm tourqe that will kill those drives. The gears just cant take the stress at low RPM.

I cant prove it but single prop bravo seem to be stronger then the dual prop from what I have seen, can be because single prop are usally on a smaller lighter boat that gets on plane quicker IDK.

My little LS1 in my pontoon if I'm hard on the stick getting out of the whole alot will chip my top teeth on my Alpha 1 gen 2. I have a bravo sitting here for the next time it happens but I have learned to be nice to it till its up on plane.

Mike

superpsd

Reaction score
With correct tuning the 7.3 should be able to be De-tuned down low to pull some torque out of them. Why not find two good forged 7.3s that have been comp tested and get them in. Derated the torque limit hp to 400 each? Also I think it would be cool to modify the helm controls to direct link to the TPS. A little fabrication is all it would take and voila....drive by wire.

Last edited:

IDIoit

Reaction score
With correct tuning the 7.3 should be able to be De-tuned down low to pull some torque out of them. Why not find two good forged 7.3s that have been comp tested and get them in. Derated the torque limit hp to 400 each? Also I think it would be cool to modify the helm controls to direct link to the TPS. A little fabrication is all it would take and voila....drive by wire.

the problem with that is, the sticks also incorporate the transmissions in the drives.
its a 4 stick set up
took my buddys 26' checkmate out today, and a long conversation, a 12 pack
and cali's finest has me thinking it would be easier and more reliable if i stuck with gassers. this lack of handling torque drives really has me flustered.
i dont wanna run gassers!!! lol
would be cheaper tho...
i have the makings of a pontiac 472, all i would need is another rotating assembly and a couple MSD boxes........
talk me out of it!!!

that MANchero will be a cool lill project, if i ever get back on it!

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
As For headers my suggestion would be ceramic coating, wrapping and making some stainless steel heat shields. And good air flow in the engine compartment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.