1978 Crew Cab F250 4X4, 7.3 POWERSTROKE Conversion

1killerz

Reaction score
baja rack

So not that I have stopped the process, its just that more of my time was spent with my little one as he has team sports currently. That didn't stop me though from Craigslist and ebay searches for what I needed/wanted, including a Baja rack.

For you purist on these old trucks, please turn away, back out etc. You will be more than likely be butt hurt by what I am adding to Eleanor (as if the diesel wasn't bad enough).
As for the rest of you that are not going to be butt hurt, This is essentially something I wanted all along, just not in this color...
RACK_4_.jpg

The good news is what I paid for it, I couldn't have even bought the metal to try and make it.
RACK_3_.jpg

A quad will fit between the rails ( a smaller quad that it is), although it is designed to handle two dirt bikes.
RACK_2_.jpg

It designed to handle two spare tires, but not sure if:
a. it will fit with these 37" MTR's
b. that would be a heavy lift.
RACK_1_.jpg

Lights were included. Looking for military grade lockers (weather proof) such as Pelicans to put on the top rack for storage, etc.
RACK.jpg

gwunter

Reaction score
I never was a fan of Baja racks, but I'll still keep watching this thread. Whenever I see racks like this I think of Africa, Kenya, etc. Whenever I see a Toyota or land rover with a rack I think the same thing.I never think of Baja desert racing. But who knows, maybe this thread will change my thinking. Lol. Carry on good sir.

1killerz

Reaction score
I never was a fan of Baja racks, but I'll still keep watching this thread. Whenever I see racks like this I think of Africa, Kenya, etc. Whenever I see a Toyota or land rover with a rack I think the same thing.I never think of Baja desert racing. But who knows, maybe this thread will change my thinking. Lol. Carry on good sir.

Initially I wasn't either. But once I got to looking at the amount of crap I will be hauling around for extended wilderness adventures, it makes sense.

1killerz

Reaction score
spare tire carrier ideas

38.5 and a half inch tire on a 78-79 bronco. would still have access to my bed with the bronco inspired design...
bumper_idea_1_.png

bumper_idea.png

But since I am running 37's, and I know the possibility of finding a replacement tire in BFE would be a small challenge, I wanted to at least be able to run the capability of carrying two spares...left side is for Jerry Can style carrying...but replace and modify for another spare tire holder...

bumper_idea_2_.png

bumper_idea_3_.png

1killerz

Reaction score
in bed storage

Having my two spares on the out side of the bed will allow me to make/buy a slide out storage kit in my bed for my..uh..tools... like so...thus leaving room on the baja rack above for more crap.

in_bed_storage.png

1killerz

Reaction score
got the D60 back

New from end to end...
d60_3_.jpg

d60.jpg

d60_1_.jpg

d60_2_.jpg

My better half has volunteered to add some artistic touches to the differential cover. We shall see...

1killerz

Reaction score
spaghetti...everywhere!

so I now have two steering columns, cause we butchered the first one unceremoniously. Master Chief Willard and I are hoping to patch the new column, the old harness, and all my crap and have a go at firing up Eleanor this coming weekend.
Mind you, not road ready, but after all this so far, it would be nice to hear her purr as only a diesel can. But we shall see.
If we manage to get everything situated, I will post a video.

Having said that, this is my current hell in the garage...
electrical_1_.jpg

electrical.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
go, no go...

So the weekend did not go completely as planned with firing up Eleanor.

Upon topping off the fluids, I noticed a consistent stream of oil pee from under the truck. Closer inspection revealed a small hole in the oil pan. Upon closer-closer inspection, I noticed at least four jb weld points on the oil pan (keep in mind the donor vehicle used to be a plow truck).

We had everything set up to fire, and now here we sit with a pissing dog urinating oil all over the ground (now oil pan).

I visited my 1996 shop manual for the power stroke trucks. Apparently now I know why they welded the **** out of some spots instead of simply changing the oil pan. Apparently the motor needs to be partially lifted out of the bay to accommodate the pans girth and clear the cross member.

Well s!@$, mine has a 4" body lift, is not the correct frame (78 versus 96), I should be fine.

NOPE.

The good news is I have no idea how long that hole was present, was there enough oil to keep the internals lubricated, how the hell do I get this out.

First thought, rotate the motor using the crank shaft pulley, see if this helps the pan clear the bottom end. Nope! But, the motor spun freely, so no worries about the presence of internal lubrication.

Cherry picker time. Nope, wont budge cause the arms to far extended to snatch the weight of the drive train even two inches.

More good news, my neighbor has a bobcat. We will be lifting the motor the required distance and installing the new oil pan this coming Saturday. So no video of it running as of today. Shooting for next weekend.

Bluke

Reaction score
To do a oil pan correctly. It need to come all the way out. Turned upside down and cleaned throughly. Then sealed up with the grey ford rtv. If you do not do this it will leak again.

1killerz

Reaction score
To do a oil pan correctly. It need to come all the way out. Turned upside down and cleaned throughly. Then sealed up with the grey ford rtv. If you do not do this it will leak again.

much appreciated. It was unsavable though. Bought a new pan.

1killerz

Reaction score
oil pan and trying to fire the powerstroke

So, not all goes as planned sometimes, and life is just that; something new every moment.
My neighbor that was to help me lift the PS with his front end loader. Well, my neighbors a hunter. His dad's Bobcat is only to be run by their family. So he's hunting.
What to do? Grabbed the cherry picker (engine hoist), a bottle jack, and a few beers.

Now I always say this, and its worth a repeat. No hillbillies were harmed in the process, but damn near.

Some pictures, cause it didn't happen without a picture, right?

Not in this case. No time for picture.

The cherry picker was able to lift the girth. but just enough to tease us with maybe 1/2 inch of clearance of the front cross member. Well, lets grab a bottle jack, push up on the bell housing with it, and make it happen.
Now, at this point, I must throw out a disclaimer. Master Chief Willard was under the truck working the bottle jack, we had (disclaimer alert) assumed the transmission was bolted into its cross member (we were wrong), and I was asked to pump one or two more times on the cherry picker. The disclaimer here is never be under a truck with 1000 plus pounds overhead, without checking all mount points.

So I pumped on the Cherry Picker, Master Chief Willard pumped on the bottle jack, then the motor jumped. Not to life mind you, but forwards and up about 3 total inches, as the transmission mounting bolts freed themselves from the cross-member, enough that the oil pan freed itself from its snuggly confines and crashing to the concrete. Willard may (or may not) have shat himself at that moment, but all I could think of was "so this is how one of us dies; under a truck?"

Once again, no hillbillies were injured. Willard and I lived on to fight other battles. But I digress...

We cleaned up the oil pan mounting surfaces on the block using 000 steel wool, brake cleaner, and a modified steel scraper. Works great, as there was a ton of sealant on the mating surfaces, enough to make me wonder why I didn't have Small Block Ritchie (the guy who put in the motor and fabbed the motor mounts) at least check all that crap out first. Oh well, next time.

Oil pan went on smoothly, everything torqued down to spec, good to go, or are we?
Guess what, now we have to line it back up to make sure everything can be securely mounted again (this time with the transmission mounted as well).
That took a while...but its done....

1killerz

Reaction score
oil pan

The old one was crusty, JB welded, and leaky. Was a now brainer to simply replace with the new (now that its free from under the truck).

oil_pan_old.jpg

The new one, well, its an oil pan. Nothing sexy to report here...

oil_pan_new.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
how to post video?

So, the oil pan is in. Sealed up, no leaking, and ready for a new life in Eleanor.

Speaking of, we test fired the set up finally. And I have video... but how do I post videos on this site?

Once I have that answer, I will post up.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
So, the oil pan is in. Sealed up, no leaking, and ready for a new life in Eleanor.

Speaking of, we test fired the set up finally. And I have video... but how do I post videos on this site?

Once I have that answer, I will post up.

Typically most people host the video elsewhere (mostly YouTube) and then post a link. Here's how to embed the video: CLICK HERE

Latest posts

Members online