1978 Crew Cab F250 4X4, 7.3 POWERSTROKE Conversion

1killerz

Reaction score
more questions: steering column

Spent the weekend "shaving" the calipers to accommodate the rims, working on replacing the rear driver door lock and handle assembly (using a spare door I procured with Eleanor), and was evaluating the electronic situation.

It is clear there can only be two paths (in my head anyway). Please tell me if I am wrong... :lame2:

1. Use the original steering wheel. The majority of the electrical components on the donor steering wheel do not have direct plugs, more like mounting points. I would love to use the original steering wheel, thusly avoiding...#2

2. Modify the donor steering wheel to install in place of the original. The mount holes are 2 inches shorter from the wheel on the donor versus stock. Additionally, the steering shaft is 6" shorter than the stock, so I would need to have a steering shaft fabricated to make up the difference.

Oddly enough, number 2 sounds more reasonable in regards to ensuring reliability and functionality as :
1. I am not an electrician, nor electrical engineer. If something is to get FUBAR'd, it would be here and by my own hands
2. As we get older, we typically get fatter. Wouldn't 2" more of breathing room between my gut and the edge of the steering wheel after a late night 4th meal run make more sense?

I don't know yet. Still weighing the two options. If anyone has a thought, please feel free to chime in...:hammer:

calawayfarmer

Reaction score
Maybe get a telescopic and tilting Colum out of a semi truck and the Do a race starter panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markfuga

Reaction score
Not sure what the question surrounding the steering wheel is about? Are you trying to keep the cruise control buttons? If so, find a 78/79 wheel with the buttons. Personally I never use cruise so I would just ignore it in the swap. You do want to wire the trans control button (OD light on shifter) since it's an indicator light when something is wrong (it blinks). It will also allow you that control (OD lockout). Any momentary switch/light combo can work for that and be mounted on the dash. Not wiring it won't hurt anything, you just won't have the control or the indicator.

1killerz

Reaction score
Not sure what the question surrounding the steering wheel is about? Are you trying to keep the cruise control buttons? If so, find a 78/79 wheel with the buttons. Personally I never use cruise so I would just ignore it in the swap. You do want to wire the trans control button (OD light on shifter) since it's an indicator light when something is wrong (it blinks). It will also allow you that control (OD lockout). Any momentary switch/light combo can work for that and be mounted on the dash. Not wiring it won't hurt anything, you just won't have the control or the indicator.

Sorry.
The question was can I use the stock steering wheel in this project. I wasn't sure if everything mounted on the donor steering wheel (1996), tied to the wiring harness, was simply mounted to the the donor wheel, or if there were any grounds/issues/etc if I put the connections else where on the 1978 steering wheel/under dash.

Essentially, I believe you just answered my question. The only two electronic controls are the cruise control and the trans control button, which would make this swap a lot easier by simply keeping the stock steering wheel in place.
Thank you very much.

1killerz

Reaction score
any updates with this project?

Actually yes and no.

Updates:

Found a new fabricator dude here locally. He is doing the following:
1. Tied in the Baja rack to mount to the frame, through the bed, as required. Pictures to come once I get the truck back.
2. Is re-doing the massive front bumper so it attaches properly. This bumper was on a f-150 frame, which is why it fit sooo nice on my 1978 Bronco, and why it won't fit so nice and snug on my f250 frame. Once the fab man is done, it will fit as snug as it once did on my Bronco.
3. The fab man is making a piece to hold my shifting cable properly so it can be used with my stock 1978 shifting column. This will allow me to use the 1996 shifter cable as designed on 1996 trans.
4. I bought another crew. I sold my Denali to a local friend who's been eyeballing it since I bought it 3-4 years ago. Couldn't go without some kind of truck. I ended up buying a 1996 f350 crew cab, long box 4x4 powerstroke. This will also help serve as a great reference point as I finish up Eleanor.

The not so update----

The 2008 king ranch seats don't seem to fit. Way too tall. Fab man says we would need to modify the floor pan to make these work. SOOOOOO bummed about that. Wonder if they will fit in my 1996....:popcorn:

Also, headed to Hudsonville, MI Fairgrounds this Saturday for The Ford Truck and Bronco swap meet. Anyone else going?

Last edited:

suprhlr

Reaction score
1killerz Also said:
A friend of mine puts this on every year, this will probably be the first year I wont be there, I sold all of my bronco stuff years ago but usually still go just as a social event.

1killerz

Reaction score
bringing it back from the fab man

What a hectic week...

Taxes are done, trucks done, swap meet was full, springs in the air (so more yard work)...

But I digress....

Picked up Eleanor Thursday night from Four On Fabrication. If you need a guy, I know a guy. Gary's a good dude who enjoys this type of work.

The Baja rack is secured in place know, properly thanks to Gary.

The big bumper wouldn't sit right on Eleanor, so Gary fixed that too. And then trying to use the 1978-1979 column shift mechanism, while hosting a 1996 Powerstroke drive train that was also column shifted, well Gary made that a possibility too by making the bracket to secure the shifter cable properly.

bringing_home_from_the_fab_guy_retouch.jpg

bringing_home_from_the_fab_guy_1_.jpg

bringing_home_from_the_fab_guy_3_retouch.jpg

We were however, unable to devise a way to make those King Ranch seats fits without modifying the floor pan. I am not a tall guy, nor am I short. but mocking those seats in, I was literally an inch, maybe 2 from the roof. So....I don't know yet. Current plan is to get it drivable and use stock seating until I figure out another plan...

bringing_home_from_the_fab_guy_2_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1killerz

Reaction score
dana 60 upgrade, along with springs

front_axle_swap3.jpg

rear spring shackle shows how stressed the suspension is from the new found weight...

front_axle_swap1.jpg

front_axle_swap.jpg

front_axle_swap2.jpg

front_axle_swap4.jpg

Last edited:

1killerz

Reaction score
skyjacker spring number as recommended by their tech service based on newly added weight on front side...

front_axle_swap7.jpg

go time...

front_axle_swap8.jpg

its in and situated

front_axle_swap91.jpg

need to shorten the u-bolts. Has to re-use them from the monster spring packs that were on the axle when I bought it.

front_axle_swap11.jpg

front_axle_swap10.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
I need to put the 37"' 's back on, so I can re-measure my front height to determine how much add a leaf I will need in the rear to level the ride out.
Once that's done, and add a leafs are situated in the rear, off to the driveline shop for some custom drive shafts.

Ford460power

Reaction score
Wow so I just read thru this build and realized that's my old ford you originally bought from me in forks. Miss that truck so much and awesome build so far.

Ford460power

Reaction score
I can give you some history on the crew cab truck, it was originally bought in forks as a crew bus for a logging company, it made its way thru a few companies. I'm fairly certain the body is NOT original, I was told at some point it was changed. The guys dad I bought it from swapped body's and put the body lift on it. I think the truck was a 4speed truck at one time, it had some brackets n pieces left and someone put a c6 and floor shifter which I later removed and put a tilt column and shifter. The lift, suspension and rear bumper were all on the truck when I purchased it. Had some repaired floor boards which looks like they used fiberglass?? And somebody had covered it with bed liner. My foot went thru the drivers side floor and I had to make due with the sheet of metal to cover. The doors and front clip and fenders have been changed a few times from being wrecked a couple times. I know it got stuck off road before I bought it and they bent the front pretty good and I totalled a Toyota truck with it as well. Truck has had many miles and fun times. Been repaired many times some repairs not so great but it always got me down the road. Really miss the truck and wish I'd still had it. Good to see someone taking care of it and rebuilding.

If you wanna know more or anything else about it I can find out or probably know. I still know and talk with the guy I bought it from.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.