Little project for my parents first diesel

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well after my parents sold their house and moved north to their vacation home permanently, they decided it was time to get a truck. So with the budget I was given they have me the job of finding a good truck for them and making it as solid and reliable as possible. They live 8 hours from me so a service call will be a little bit of a drive. With a budget of around 17k I decided on a 6.0 for them. I know it may sound crazy considering I pulled the 6.0 out of my truck, but I still believe a 6.0 can be made into a reliable vehicle. They also really like the interior of my truck so I wanted to find a king ranch.

After a couple failed attempts I finally found one after leaving a dealer that had just sold the one I was going to look at. This one I ended up with is an 04 king ranch with a completely rust free body and an interior in great shape. It has 172k miles on it but drives amazingly well and has plenty of power for a stock 6.0. Only issue is the egr valve sticks when its cold and has 4 bad glow plugs. Its a 2wd but for $9950 and the shape its in I could pass it up. Plus for that price it gave me plenty of money to improve upon the truck. I plan to start tear down this sunday so here are the plans:

Suspension:
08 Chrome 20" 8 spoke wheels with almost new 33" Nitto terra grapplers (going to pick up saturday)
03 dana 60 front axle and everything else needed from donor truck here at the shop
Manual 271 transfercase, tail section of transmission, driveshafts and manual linkage from 08 F250 parts truck at the shop as well
zone 2.5" leveling kit with adjustable trac bar
4" rear blocks
new sway bar links
all new shocks
all new spicer u joints

Interior:
swapping the rear captains chairs for my bench seat (parents prefer a bench)
Possibly double din head unit
cleaning and conditioning of leather
weather tech floor mats

Exterior:
Full clay bar and wax
Full 05 front end, chrome gille, bumper and headlights
recon clear mirror lights
possibly cab lights
Low pro agri cover vinyl tonneau cover
20% tint on from windows and 8" brow on windshield

Engine:
Arp head studs
OEM headgaskets
Lifters
Glowplugs
Egr delete
Updated STC fitting
Updated stand pipes and dummy plugs
injector o rings
IPR screen kit
Oil cooler
Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
Turbo cleaning
Sinister coolant filter (already installed)
S&B intake
Flo pro 4" exhaust with muffler
All new fluids and filters

There will probably be some other things as well as I go. Here are some pics for now

16391249092_234a5ee9f1_c.jpg
Untitled by mattpopiel, on Flickr
16390427531_4d5d90ed7c_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr
16390427551_8216bb1894_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr
16204772670_823d7188e7_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr

New front end
16391250462_894a63c8fb_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr

16206273737_1e3bcf9119_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr
Other 4wd parts from the 08

16366190306_d3f34b22fb_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr

Matt_P

Reaction score
Mainly just because This donor truck was at the shop already with the correct gears and i really kinda like the way my truck rides with leafs in the front and I know they don't mind it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lysons

Reaction score
Ahhh makes sense.
Well looks like it will be a solid build for sure and knowing your track record with builds, it will for sure be well done.
Good luck!

Matt_P

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it! I just want to make sure I give my parents back a good running solid truck!

swinky

Reaction score
Nice man!

Maybe add an Hpop to the list? Also the 08 20s are going to be very narrow on a leaf spring truck.

Looking forward to the outcome though.

Matt_P

Reaction score
I'm kinda jealous of that truck, mainly because it's 4 bucket seats.
I would kill to have that truck!

Yeah I love the rear captains chairs! I was glad they said they would rather have a bench lol

Sounds like it will be! Looks dam nice from the pics!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Thanks! I definitely go lucky that the truck came straight from arizona and got traded in

Nice man!

Maybe add an Hpop to the list? Also the 08 20s are going to be very narrow on a leaf spring truck.

Looking forward to the outcome though.

Thanks man! Im gonna run 2" spacers to take care of the narrow issue. Honestly everything on the oil system looks great when I had the truck on the scanner today and we dont replace a lot of HPOPs at the shop so Im not too concerned with replacing that since its an expensive part as well. I just wanted to focus on replacing all the common HPO leak areas. I will be replacing the HPOP o rings though as well.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Yeah I got really lucky that all the parts were here at the shop for the four wheel drive swap already! And I love that's it's getting a manual t case as well. I'm actually jealous their truck is getting one cause I've wanted one for a while but it's a little more difficult to find a 271 with a 47re input lol

Matt_P

Reaction score
It's in great shape for 172k and you got a great deal on it. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Thanks! Yeah for the shape its in and for how easy it is to make them 4wd I could pass it up!

damn i wish my parents were cool enough to let me mess with there vehicles. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Yeah I finally convinced them to buy something I could actually mess with for them!

Not a whole lot of progress yet. Got the axle pulled out of the donor chassis and took a trip to tennessee this weekend to pick up the new wheels and tires.
15812769703_db90808804_c.jpg
Untitled by mattpopiel, on Flickr
16246922117_4fc43778e8_c.jpg
by mattpopiel, on Flickr

Should have a lift free in the shop on wednesday so I can get the truck in and get cab off, engine tore down and get all the 2wd stuff outta there. The leveling kit, blocks and shocks showed up today so I have everything I need to get the 4wd under the truck now.

smcox1

Reaction score
Can't wait to see it done. Every other truck you have built has turned out awesome and I'm sure this one won't be any different!

Latest posts