Front Dampner Removal

PVXCummins

Reaction score
Helping a friend rebuild his OBS 7.3. We tore the engine down yesterday and all that is left is to remove the damper, front cover and then pull the crank out. We bought one of those $15 puller sets from Harbor Freight that comes with 30 different bolts. I tried a few from the set and only found one that seemed like a good fit with the threads on the front of the dampener (3 holes on the circumference).

Can anyone confirm the thread size of those 3 threaded holes on the front of the dampener/harmonic balancer for me? Want to make sure when i go to yank this sucker we dont screw ourselves and strip them out.

Last edited:

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
I have a stock balancer here in my garage from a 1997 7.3L. I ran a 3/8"-16 bolt into the holes and it feels pretty damn solid. Nothing metric felt as solid as those did and considering the years of the OBS they SHOULD be SAE thread anyway. If those wont run in on your, the threads could be gummed up and may need to be chased. Hope this helps some!

PVXCummins

Reaction score
I have a stock balancer here in my garage from a 1997 7.3L. I ran a 3/8"-16 bolt into the holes and it feels pretty damn solid. Nothing metric felt as solid as those did and considering the years of the OBS they SHOULD be SAE thread anyway. If those wont run in on your, the threads could be gummed up and may need to be chased. Hope this helps some!

Awesome! Yup that helps alot. Im going to grab some 3/8" - 16 bolts and try them. The threads in the dampner were pretty dirty and could definitely be chased.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.