Block differences?

joedown

Reaction score
Alright what's the differences between the OBS -99 blocks versus the later ones? What's a short block and long block? I thought all 7.3's from the factory were basically the same with the exception of injectors etc.

stroker2

Reaction score
Short block is basically without heads and intake manifold and a long block is with those items. The superduty block has a little more meat somewhere im not sure where

golfer

Reaction score
:whs:

but there isn't any difference in terms of rigidity from what we've seen between the early style block casting (94-96) and the later style (97-03)..

completely interchangeable/functionally

joedown

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought so why would someone prefer a pre 00 block? Did they change the way they are cast?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
94.5 - '97 cams have the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump, so if you have an early model PSD and get a '99 - '03 motor, you'll need to run electric fuel.

farm boy

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought so why would someone prefer a pre 00 block? Did they change the way they are cast?

I believe that person was referring to connecting rods, not the block itself.

99-00 block will for sure have forged connecting rods. If your needing a motor that you can just buy and throw in a truck, these year models are desired. No one wants to put a motor with PMR rods back into a truck.

Some 2001 trucks have forged, some PMR.

2002-2003 all have Powder Metal Rods which is not desirable for most power seeking enthusiasts. :D

TARM

Reaction score
I believe that person was referring to connecting rods, not the block itself.

99-00 block will for sure have forged connecting rods. If your needing a motor that you can just buy and throw in a truck, these year models are desired. No one wants to put a motor with PMR rods back into a truck.

Some 2001 trucks have forged, some PMR.

2002-2003 all have Powder Metal Rods which is not desirable for most power seeking enthusiasts. :D

Not quite accurate. There is a short run of PMR rods during the 2000 manf year. A number of 2000 have been checked and had PMRs. IIRC its like 15K from serial number 1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods. These seem to have been manf in mid year 2K. Then you have end of year to early 01 had Forged before it was switched over for good to PMRs. There are the odd one here and there that got Forged but its rare after early 01. Of course the only for sure way to know after 99 manf dates is to check visually.

Here are the generally correct serial number ranges:

Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods.
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods.
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods.
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered.

farm boy

Reaction score
Not quite accurate. There is a short run of PMR rods during the 2000 manf year. A number of 2000 have been checked and had PMRs. IIRC its like 15K from serial number 1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods. These seem to have been manf in mid year 2K. Then you have end of year to early 01 had Forged before it was switched over for good to PMRs. There are the odd one here and there that got Forged but its rare after early 01. Of course the only for sure way to know after 99 manf dates is to check visually.

Here are the generally correct serial number ranges:

Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods.
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods.
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods.
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered.

You are correct.

In the other thread Joe (CSIPSD) was referring to running 99-00 engines in his trucks until he doesn't want to run 7.3's any longer.

I believe the 99-00 reference was to be able to go get a pull out engine and not need to look at the inspection hole or serial numbers (which aren't 100% accurate). Just stick it in the truck and drive.

Your right though. Thanks for clarifying.

Jason

Reaction score
Nothin wrong with a good ole pmr motor....

A lot of times, the trucks build date, and the motor arent close....my truck was built in june of '02, and the motor was built in like October of '01. So i woukd guess it is possibke to find a late '01 or early 02 with forged rods. There have been a few 01 and 02 trucks with factory forged rods...when I say few, I mean like 2-3 that I have seen.

TARM

Reaction score
Nothin wrong with a good ole pmr motor....

A lot of times, the trucks build date, and the motor arent close....my truck was built in june of '02, and the motor was built in like October of '01. So i woukd guess it is possibke to find a late '01 or early 02 with forged rods. There have been a few 01 and 02 trucks with factory forged rods...when I say few, I mean like 2-3 that I have seen.

Those serial numbers and dates I gave are for engine serial number and build dates not vehicle. I figure you know that and are just putting info so people know to check vs think its there vehicle build date but I wanted to make sure it was clear. Its been a LONGGGG time since we have had a PMR vs Forged check thread on here so......... a bit of a refresher.

Jason

Reaction score
Yeah, basically what I was saying. Woth some of the weird crap I have seen, if forged is important to you, you may stumble across an oddball...or get a truck that should have them, and doesnt.

TARM

Reaction score
Agreed. Seen a 02 with forged engine and serial number way into the PMRs. From what I have seen this following statement has held true as far as I know: If you have a Serial number that falls into the Forged numbers you have forged rods. If you have a serial number that falls into the PMRs there is still a possibility of getting a Forged. The closer to the forged serial numbers the higher the chances.

As far as I know someone with a forged serial number has not gotten a PMR. But I would think if there are some the chances are greatest the closer to the serial numbers at the switch overs.

Latest posts

Members online