5r/6r trans swap

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
For the cost you might as well buy a bts... That'd be cheaper than the adapter plate, the stand alone controller and the tranny itself. Fwiw there are 6.4 race trucks that put in a 4r

TARM

Reaction score
For the cost you might as well buy a bts... That'd be cheaper than the adapter plate, the stand alone controller and the tranny itself. Fwiw there are 6.4 race trucks that put in a 4r

Yes I was talking with Brian about this awhile ago. TIIRC, the 4r100 can be made stronger apparently but also with the turbo engines the longer gears are actually proving to allow for faster times. More time for the turbo to be at full boost without the drop down from more shifts. At least that is what I took from it.

On a DD I can see the benefit to wanting a 6 sp whether it be Allison or the Ford units. I had seriously considered swapping in a built A1000 6sp but I got a good deal on a BTS and that settled it.

PDT1081

Reaction score

There's a reason Powerglides are very popular amongst dragsters. Although, they aren't very popular when it comes towing. When racing, the less time spent shifting gears is more time spent putting power to the ground. Towing is all about maintaining optimum RPMs for any given speed.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have thought about this with the 6R140. If it could be controlled with a stand alone controller then I would seriously be thinging about it for my excursion project. Unfortunatly, afaik, there is no provision for this yet. I believe this could be the best dd trans to be seen in a ford ever. Still holding out and hoping that this will become a possibility in the near future.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yea I already have a built 4r equivalent to a BTS, just looking for an extra gear or two for towing here in the CO mtns. I know HRT was doing an Allison at one time and that might be interesting too. I might end up with a newer 6.4 truck in a year, so this might be a moot point. Otherwise a ZF6 is looking very appealing for a tow vehicle. Not interested in a Gear Vendor.

Thanks for the input gentlemen, feel free to keep it coming.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Having driven and worked on a 5R with a stand alone controller...don't do it! Never makes the same shift the same way, even with all the factory "adaptive learning" crap gone. One minute its shifting nicely, the next it's banging hears hard or slipping.

A 4R with a Gear Vendors is a much better bet. You can split gears, have an extra overdrive and still have the advantage of a torque converter that you lose with a manual trans.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Having driven and worked on a 5R with a stand alone controller...don't do it! Never makes the same shift the same way, even with all the factory "adaptive learning" crap gone. One minute its shifting nicely, the next it's banging hears hard or slipping.

A 4R with a Gear Vendors is a much better bet. You can split gears, have an extra overdrive and still have the advantage of a torque converter that you lose with a manual trans.

Didnt you have one in your dually years ago?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Gear vendors, but reading too much lately about them failing for guys towing heavy in the mtns, and with a turned up truck that just seems even more risky. And I don't like the idea they don't work in 4x4. I know people say "well if you're in 4x4 you don't need it", but I can tell by that statement they've never spent a lot of time towing in the high country, and I can't tell you how many times over the years I've been in 4hi towing up here. I really wish someone would make a beefy splitter that goes between the transfer case and tranny. However with the new trannies with more gears it's becoming obsolete. The other reason I want another gear is to go to taller R&P.

Hell I may just scrap it all and do a 12v/ZF6/3:55's.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 6.0 to get the extra gear and "upgrade" to a nicer truck, boy was that a mistake. It's been one thing after another. How would/ does the transfer case hold up to towing passes in low range? I'm about to ditch the 6.0 after 500 painful miles and drop back to a low mile 7.3.. I was wanting the extra gear because we are planning a camping trip next summer to Taylor park reservoir with a 5er and a 7x14' enclosed with the rhino and extra supplies guesstimated gross is 22-23k. if I can tow passes in low range 2wd I will be even more inclined to ditch the piece of **** 6 liter.

Last edited:

Big Bore

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 6.0 to get the extra gear and "upgrade" to a nicer truck, boy was that a mistake. It's been one thing after another. How would/ does the transfer case hold up to towing passes in low range? I'm about to ditch the 6.0 after 500 painful miles and drop back to a low mile 7.3.. I was wanting the extra gear because we are planning a camping trip next summer to Taylor park reservoir with a 5er and a 7x14' enclosed with the rhino and extra supplies guesstimated gross is 22-23k. if I can tow passes in low range 2wd I will be even more inclined to ditch the piece of **** 6 liter.

I never used low range on the road so I couldn't tell you, but I never needed it. I had a ZF5 and 4:10's when I was towing heavy a lot. The only time I used low range was backing up a heavy gooseneck or moving it around on a rough/steep terrain jobsite. If I were planning on doing a lot of heavy towing again, I would do a SD/7.3/ZF6 and 3:73's. I've towed heavy with the 4r and 3:73's and it does ok, but I just didn't like the way it felt with the rpm changes between gears being more than I like. Maybe it will feel different with the compounds if I can hold a higher gear and keep egt's down.

Latest posts

Members online