HPOP Removal and Installation

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I have gotten some questions about the R&R with an HPOP so I did a little write up, if this is in the wrong spot feel free to move it mods.

HPOP Removal and Reinstallation

Fuel bowl removal:
3/4 end wrench for feed line
5/8 end wrench for return line
9/16 end wrench for lines to heads
#13 for fuel bowl bolts thru HPOP res

2011-07-08_08-28-34_925.jpg

To get to the second bolt you’ll need to remove the front cover plate. Use a #8 socket with a wobble extension or however you can get access, they can be a pain.

2011-07-08_07-59-42_827.jpg

To remove the ebp tube use a stubby #15 end wrench and a 5/8 crows foot for best results, again its really up to you what you use, however you can get it out easiest for you. Here we used two wrenches since we already pulled the motor and had room.

2011-07-08_08-22-23_748.jpg

Once removed you can pull the left fuel bowl bolt and yank it out for more room.

2011-07-08_08-09-14_136.jpg

Remove the cover plate and clean it up.

2011-07-08_08-08-11_847.jpg

Inside you’ll see the drive gear you need to remove next.

2011-07-08_08-23-54_405.jpg

Use a #18 socket with a breaker bar of some sort, you’ll have to pop it to get it to come loose, if you turn slow you’ll just turn the engine over.

2011-07-08_08-25-22_990.jpg

When you smack it good enough it will sound like you broke something but the bolt and washer will easily come out now, don’t drop the washer, its no fun trying to fish it out when you drop one…ask me how I know.

2011-07-08_08-11-31_894.jpg

Next you can unplug your ipr and remove the two #10 bolts.

2011-07-08_08-09-35_892.jpg

2011-07-08_08-09-14_136.jpg

Lastly remove the hpop lines, you can buy the tool or just use two flatheads and push from the metal side onto the rubber (towards the pump)

2011-07-08_08-33-29_621.jpg

When you pull the pump the oil will drain out of the resi so be prepared with lots of paper towels!

2011-07-08_08-35-41_412.jpg

Make sure you clean the mating surfaces very well, any little bit of grime on the motor can cause a leak

2011-07-08_08-14-46_424.jpg

Reinstall is pretty much the reverse procedure. Make sure you install the cover plate after you have installed the fuel bowl because you can’t get to the left bolt with it in there. Also make sure you have a good ring of RTV around the cover plate so you don’t have any leaks.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post or PM me!

Big thanks to Chris aka Vanderchevy18 for getting greasy while I took the pictures LOL

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I will add a couple of suggestions on here.

I personally use a suction tool to drain the HPOP reservoir before I break the loose the HPOP which helps limit size of the oil spill.

I know these photos were taken on a core motor. Please clean up the motor before doing this job if you are working on your truck. The HP oil system is not the place to be getting motor gunk into.

It is pretty common that you will need someone down below preventing the crank from turning with a breaker bar and socket on the damper bolt to get the HPOP bolt tight.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Thanks for the added comments. Sad thing is, this motor was running right before we pulled it two days ago. It was literally the dirtiest one I've ever seen. Dirt was baked with oil and fuel almost an inch thick in places, it had one AE injector, 6 ADs, and 1 AA, fuel filter was black as the gunk on that motor...it was in very sad shape. The motor we put the pump into is much much cleaner...thanks to 6 cans of degreaser and about a dozen cans of brake cleaner :doh:

P97S

Reaction score
Thank you for your time and pictures , this will help me take care of my problem ..

again thank you for your time.
you all do a great job helping one another.

brian89

Reaction score
What are some of the torque specs for these bolts? Or should i just use german engineering and go with gud an tight? And all i have access to is a little bit of hondabond from my school, will that work instead of rvt?

Bushwakd

Reaction score

greasygas

Reaction score
HPOP R&R

Hello All Im new here names Leon did this R&R to nite in 2 hrs but without this thread to show me the hidden bolt it would still be stuck on my 02 standard single cab 2wd stick F450 flat deck , instead its now on the bench to rebuild it ! thanks ! .. small tgips I can ad to make sure i did not drop the washer down the engine i stuffed a soft rag in there to catch it if it fell . I also jacked up the rear of the truck as high as possible blocked it ,and then let most of the air out of the front tires this gained me about 6 inches lower to work on as it is a very tall truck and i am 6 foot 6 .
I anticipate no problems putting it all back together ..when it happened the first thing i thought it was was a blown rear main seal but after some surfing discovered this is common ,I also plan to reseal the fuel bowl .thanks again for taking the time to take the photos it gave me the confidence to do it myself