1978 Crew Cab F250 4X4, 7.3 POWERSTROKE Conversion

1killerz

Reaction score
FYI, this build is not dead. I have just been super busy with consulting and general day to day with my kid.

Big change since my last post though.

Friend of mine has a pole barn. Said friend has allowed me to not only store Eleanor in his pole barn, but to work on it while its stored there. Extra extra bonus (for anyone who lives in MI), ITS HEATED. so now that its moved, time for more progress.
Additional bonus, my friend has a son the same age as my boy, so they can play together while dad plays in the pole barn.

Done with one client, so now I have some additional free time to get to crackin on this pig...

1killerz

Reaction score
New Home

As discussed, moved Eleanor to my buddy's pole barn. As it is essentially climate controlled (fancy talk for heated with a roof), weather will no longer be a hindrance.

We cleaned out the bed (again), and removed all the tools and bits we had in the cab.
eleanor_at_dereks.jpg

Plenty of room to do what needs to be done.

eleanor_at_dereks_1_.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
The bumper has been adjusted and new mounts made. It now fits better than previously.

eleanor_at_dereks_2_.jpg

Plenty of room to do what needs to be done.

eleanor_at_dereks_4_.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
Ran out of time Saturday. Was able to complete the following:
1. bring all shop manuals out
2. bring out electrical schematics for the donor
3. start labeling factory wire harness
4. remove rest of dash components
5. Install my Pina Colada air freshner (smells like strippers from Missouri)

eleanor_at_dereks_3_.jpg

eleanor_at_dereks_5_.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
Hahahaha we always went across the river to Illinois...

OP, love the project!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We did too. My oldest was stationed at Scott's AFB. Went down for his 21st. Went across the bridge as well...for some cotton candy and pina coladas...

cbf9703

Reaction score
We did too. My oldest was stationed at Scott's AFB. Went down for his 21st. Went across the bridge as well...for some cotton candy and pina coladas...
My sister used to live in Collinsville and work by the base. We would go over from Cape Girardeau when in town and there wasn't anything else going on... Always entertaining, although half the time just from people watching in the classy establishments. 😂

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1killerz

Reaction score
update

Old wiring harness is finally out of Eleanor. Made a list of internals that I will replace just in case, since the dash is already out:
1. Heater core
2. Heater blower
3. windshield wiper motor
4. sound deadener

Anybody have any other suggestions?

1killerz

Reaction score
Pictures or no proof

As stated, I got the old 1978 harness out of Eleanor. Not really very exciting, but some good reference pictures for myself.

Buzzer
eleanor_wiring.jpg

reference:
eleanor_wiring_1_.jpg

These will need to be modified to hold the thicker harness
eleanor_wiring_2_.jpg

cleared out:
eleanor_wiring_4_.jpg

Not much room here;
eleanor_wiring_5_.jpg

Modern-ish technology portal to link to the "brain"
eleanor_wiring_6_.jpg

Last edited:

1killerz

Reaction score
need a break

Between my business, the truck, and other normal stuff, twas time for our annual-ish run for the best place IMO to be an adult and do adult things; Key West
key_west.jpg

1killerz

Reaction score
Now that my head was cleared after the mini-vacation, time to lay out the harness to see where everything needs to go.

Before I do, word to the wise. When flying out of O'Hare airport, a 1996 CC with 35" tires and an 8ft box will fit, just barely, in their short term and valet parking. (yes, I valet parked Lucifer. Ran out of time to find a spot to accommodate the behemoth.)

So we got everything roughed in to see where we will need to make modifications to the harness. Had to remove the hood to give us better angles to work in.

donor_harness.jpg

donor_harness_1_.jpg

donor_harness_2_.jpg

donor_harness_3_.jpg

donor_harness_4_.jpg

Also contacted Wild Horses about their 78-79 BIG BUBBA REAR BUMPER W/ TIRE RACK, Item #: PF310, modified to hold two tires versus just the one swing arm. Should hear today if its a go, including modifying to fit an F250 instead of the Full Size Bronco.

1killerz

Reaction score
Wild Horses is still looking into my bumper thought. Looks doable on their end. Won't know for another week.
On a side note, looks like I will need to replace the front floor boards. While we were underneath removing some old wiring, noticed fiberglass. Closer look, and with a second opinion from the fab guy, it needs them replaced. But that's down the road.

gwunter

Reaction score
This is going to be great when your done. Keep your eye on the prize!! I don't remember if you discussed color or not yet. Are you sticking with the black? You looking at gear changes in the axles or are the ratios good?

Latest posts

Members online