6.0 or 6.4

notbrettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Honestly if you're just looking for a toy, want to make some power... Hard to beat a 6.4. They can also be had pretty cheap. Making 1000HP is really nothing on a 6.4 and I'm sure it can be done on a $30k or less budget. Really up to you. If you got a 6.7 and drive it daily like I do, I doubt you really care about the reliability of your toy. How much are you going to drive it? 20 miles a week? Maybe 50? MAYBE?! If you live in areas that snow, maybe even less

sootie

Reaction score
Honestly if you're just looking for a toy, want to make some power... Hard to beat a 6.4. They can also be had pretty cheap. Making 1000HP is really nothing on a 6.4 and I'm sure it can be done on a $30k or less budget. Really up to you. If you got a 6.7 and drive it daily like I do, I doubt you really care about the reliability of your toy. How much are you going to drive it? 20 miles a week? Maybe 50? MAYBE?! If you live in areas that snow, maybe even less

1000hp is nothing for a six four?? How many trucks have you built to that level? And 30k wouldn't even cover the motor and turbos nevermind transmission, TC, traction bars etc. Quit spewing garbage as fact when you have limited experience in what we are discussing.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
1000hp is nothing for a six four?? How many trucks have you built to that level? And 30k wouldn't even cover the motor and turbos nevermind transmission, TC, traction bars etc. Quit spewing garbage as fact when you have limited experience in what we are discussing.
If you are doing your own work and can pick up some deals 30k would be a realistic budget.:gun:
If you pay a shop to do it go ahead and double that figure.

RSK

Reaction score
having a 6.0 and a 6.4 myself and looking into the cost to get the 6.0 to 600hp i decided to not even bother...if all you want 600-700hp the 6.4 will be cheaper to get there after the intial cost of buying the truck. i haven't dynoed my 6.4 or gone to the track with it since putting the single turbo on in the fall but with an s467 with a .90 housing and race cover it should be between 600-700hp but the same power level can be achieved with a drop in 72 atmo... or add a 59 high pressure you'll be a little closer to 700 stock fuel. that being said my 6.4 is for sale and most likely sold and i had it up for 23k obo so the guy that is buying mine is buying a 600hp+ truck for 23k or less. and plenty of 6.4's are for sale with single kits on them, and upgraded compounds already done, so just need to pull the cab and do rocker arms and could stud the heads and do new lifters while you are in there for reliability and just enjoy the truck and have fun with it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
So much experience with 6.0s, 6.4s, and 6.7s and higher horsepower... Funny considering you're still trying to modify a clapped out hoopty 7.3.

Same bull chit, different user name (again)!

sootie

Reaction score
If you are doing your own work and can pick up some deals 30k would be a realistic budget.:gun:
If you pay a shop to do it go ahead and double that figure.
Agreed. But you have to budget two or three times to cover the lifter failures, freak k16s ripping out your fuel system etc

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Ryan if you can just buy one of the modded 6.4's available on this site, like Tarrier's (Black AOD) or if Ryan's (RSK) doesn't sell there you go!

NotbrettboatIswear

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

There's a guy in Georgia who did pretty much just that. Stock bottom end, lotta boost, lotta fuel.

Transmission would make a few passes before going boom. but even his POS ATS has held up. Not sure if the numbers are 1000RWHP or BHP but regardless it gets up and goes for very little money.

So I think for toy factor it's something worth considering.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
There's a guy in Georgia who did pretty much just that. Stock bottom end, lotta boost, lotta fuel.

Transmission would make a few passes before going boom. but even his POS ATS has held up. Not sure if the numbers are 1000RWHP or BHP but regardless it gets up and goes for very little money.

So you're spewing out your arse again without 1st hand experience. Thanks for proving sootie ' point.

sootie

Reaction score

New account again I see?

sootie

Reaction score
He didn't say what it takes 10 seconds to do....1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? Between breakdowns?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.