2003 Ford F-350 Overdrive light flashing and won't turn over now help needed

jamesdeboef

Reaction score
Ok so I recently got a 2003 f350 that had a failing high pressure oil pump and took it straight to the shop to get it fixed. I only drove it a few times due to it would sometimes die at idle and or after shutting off wouldn't start until it was cold. Repair went fine as far as I know but now I have a new problem. When I picked it up it started funny. I had to turn the key on and off a couple times to get it to turn over long enough to start. I started down the road and it seemed like a dog like it had no power and shifted harder than normal. I thought at first maybe it seemed doggy because I was used to driving my 08 dodge with all ******s and h&s mini max programmer. Then I noticed the OD light flashing and turned around and went back to the shop. He said he didn't touch anything that has to do with the trans and he's flywheel forward diesel shop. He brought out his laptop and hooked it up and he said it wasn't registering that it was in gear or the proper gear. He went under it and wiggled and disconnected and reconnected the harnesses going to the trans and cleared codes and it was back working normally and had power and shifted beautifully. Well the next time I took the truck out it did good for about a 100 miles and then getting on the highway it started shifting funny and OD light flashing again. Pulled over and played with the connectors and plugged and unplugged them and about the 4th or fifth time fooling with them in a parking lot and turning the truck on and off it started working properly (no OD light flashing) and finished the drive just fine. The next time I went to start it, it wouldn't even turn over and I didn't have time to play with it and just took the dodge. Then I went to fool with it a couple days later and it started right up but OD light flashing and no power and felt like trans was slipping bad. Turned off and had a friend who knows a little more than me come to check it out and it didn't wanna start played with shifter going through every gear while trying to start and back to park and after about the 10th turn of the key it started right up and no light flashing and drove all day just fine. Well today I went to take it to put brakes on at a friend house and wouldn't turn over once again. I pulled all connections apart and put electrical grease on all pins and all looked like new and had grease on them already. Still nothing wouldn't even turn over still. I even took off batteries and cleaned all connections and left off for around 30 minutes before hooking them back up and still nothing. I did notice that the electrical box (some sort of computer) on the passenger side tappet cover had one plug that can be pulled off without having to push in a clip or anything it just pulled off when I wiggled the connection. Put so electric grease on the pins and plugged it in and put black tape on it to make sure it didn't come off. So nevertheless it still won't turn over and when I jump the wire on the passenger side to the battery and make it turn over it starts but the OD light is still flashing and it reads that it's in 1st gear (via scan tool) and doesn't change when you move the shifter from park to reverse or neutral or drive. I'm guessing reading in 1st is why it's not turning over and not shifting right due to line pressure and... but I still can't figure out what is actually going on with it and could it be a coincidental or could it have something to do with the shop having the top half of the motor off and they just didn't hook up some or maybe shorted out something when taking out/off batteries or is this a common issue with a regular known fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I suspect the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) has failed. It's located inside the pan. Getting the codes will confirm or disprove my theory.

jamesdeboef

Reaction score
Ok I'll find out something today when I bring it back to the shop that did the HP oil pump

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Could be the fan clutch...03's and 04's had a issue similar to what you have. Unplug it and see if it starts or the problem goes away. If you hook up a scanner, it will give you range sensor codes even though the fan clutch is the real problem. I forget if it throws any codes for the fan, I don't think it does.

jamesdeboef

Reaction score
Well that sounds odd that the fan clutch will mess with the trans but I'll definitely give it a try. And just to update I am just picking it up after having brakes done and now the speedometer and tachometer don't work along with the light flashing now. This truck is driving me crazy lol I'll unplug the fan clutch and let you know what happens shortly

Latest posts

Members online