Need Advice Please/Intermittent No-start

TXPower

Reaction score
Howdy all, new to the forum. New to 6.0 ownership and learning a lot about these vehicles. I need some help. Please excuse the post it will be long but explanation is the best way for ya'll to help me. If I miss information needed please advise.

I bought a 2005 ext cab with 211k about two months ago. Best I can tell, its been studded, egr ******d, has an older SCT Tuner, AFE intake tube/air cleaner. It has a few other modifications I'm trying to figure what exactly they are, like something in the valley of the motor I cant see very well that has IDP stamped into the part I can see?? That's not the main question in this post but I'm just trying to be as complete as I know how.

Anyway, this truck is a hoss, runs strong, but its done something weird a several times lately I'm trying to diagnose. I bought an Edge CTS2 and got installed over the weekend to start monitoring things.

Here is what the truck has been doing. 3 times, after sitting for 24hrs or more, it would no-start. It would turn over strong but not start. The first time it happened I'm still not sure if it was run too low of diesel, the gauge indicated it had around a 1/4 tank but my research indicates these things are notorious for sticking fuel gauges and fuel tank pickup tubes that break and suck air introducing air bubbles into the fuel system. The other times though it had plenty of diesel, one time it was full. 1 of the incidents was after I drove the truck a few miles, parked, went in somewhere and came out 2 hours later and it wouldn't start.

During the 1st incident, I pulled the cap off the secondary fuel filter to make sure the bowl was filling, I turned the key on till it almost overflowed with diesel, buttoned it up and it started right up. The other 3 times it happened I tried the same thing and it did not appear to work because it wouldn't start right up each time afterward. After sitting a little while after each of the other 3 incidents, the truck started right up. It always runs just fine once it starts. I got to thinking yesterday, on two of the occasions I pulled the filter cap when this occurred and turned the key on to see if the bowl was filling, there were bubbles but I wasn't sure if the bubbles were because the fuel was cascading to the bottom like a waterfall causing bubbles or if the inlet was pumping already aerated fuel in as it filled the bowl. The bowl has never been lower than a little more than half full and if you account for the displacement the filter causes when installed, I'd say it was probably full. I ask because I have read some posts about air in the fuel lines entering the bowl, leading to no-start issues.

I think I understand from reading that at a minimum, monitoring the 6.0 should include: ECT/EOT deltas, FICM Voltage, but wonder what everybody else thinks is a must monitor? Aside from fuel pressure, which is in my future as soon as I glean enough information from this site to get that going.

Information so far after monitoring, ECT, EOT delta after driving 1/2hr, tested on flat road at 65mph is a 3 to 6 degree variance in the 190 degree range. I guess this means for now, my oil cooler is satisfactory. The truck is ******d. FICM runs 47.5 to 48.0 volts all the time.

ICP Pressure runs around 775 psi, a little higher when truck is cold.

Battery with key on engine off has read as low as 11.2 but FICM stays at 14.0, once started the alternator keeps the battery reading at 13.9 to 14.0. Is the battery voltage with KOEO too low? The starter turns hard and fast when I engage it.

I used the diagnostic function and had the following codes:

P0113 IAT Sensor Circuit High Input

P0263 Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance Fault

P0266 Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance Fault

P2614 Which I think is a cam or crank sensor code?

P0403 and P0405: Which I think are EGR codes? The truck is ******d, no CEL on dash. I have an older SCT Tuner (may be why no CEL).

Other than the intermittent no-start issue, this truck runs great and is a hoss.

Can ya'll help me out?

Thanks,

TXPower

TXPower

Reaction score
I gather from the amendment to my post I can't use word that is synonymous with removing or getting rid of something. Sorry, I missed that rule.

Any one have any feedback on my post though?

Thanks,

TXPower

bismic

Reaction score
You need to fill the fuel filter bowl and then crank with the starter wire (on the passenger frame rail). This way you can crank without the fuel pump being on. If you have bubbles coming up from the side, it is from a bad injector/ injector seal.

ghohouston

Reaction score
You have two contribution codes, that is where i would start. Gathered by your screen name, can i assumer you're in Texas? Where at if so?

TXPower

Reaction score
Bismic, thanks, I'll do that today.

ghohouston, yes, north central Texas, northeast of Dallas.

Thanks,

TXPower

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
this will more than likely be a very early on high pressure oil system issue.

Wait until you monitor powers up then crank and see what ICP is doing

bismic

Reaction score
Could be, but it does it cold (at least that is what I read into the post).

The cam sensor code might indicate an issue or it could be from excessive cranks.

When it doesn't start, verify cam/crank sync AND FICM sync.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online