Gas pedal

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
So my truck has needed the pedal for a while and now it's doing the intermittent working when it wants. I have heard that you can check resistance and someone locally has a pedal from a obs 7.3 and only wants 25$ for it. What should I be looking for? Resistance? If so what should the numbers be? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haligen

Reaction score
You need a whole pedal assembly or just the tps sensor? Theres two sensors on the pedal, a pretty standard tps sensor, and an idle validation switch. Google blueprinting 7.3 pedal to get a good idea.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I think I may need both. Truck has symptoms of both. Thank you for the input

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Because I was driving it the other day and had to come to a stop and I went to push on the gas and the truck would just idle. No response so I put it in neutral then back in gear and it was fine

haligen

Reaction score
You can back probe the tps to check that its functioning. Make sure you here the click from the ivs every timr you push the pedal down.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I don't hear the click but I can push the little button thing in and will hear the click

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Should I bend the tab that pushes it it so that it'll make it click?

haligen

Reaction score
You can bend the tab or drill and tap for an adjustment screw. To get it dialed in right it takes some some precision but just to get it functioning bending the tab would work.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
You can bend the tab or drill and tap for an adjustment screw. To get it dialed in right it takes some some precision but just to get it functioning bending the tab would work.

The truck drives fine otherwise, just drove it for about a 2 hour round trip with no problems from the pedal. Should I still be concerned about it? I drove it around to run some errands today also with no problem coming from it.

haligen

Reaction score
Personally I would go through the whole pedal and check the voltages. When I did mine all the way to the floor was only 65% throttle. Plus it was touchy coming off idle which made backing a trailer a pain.

old man dave

Reaction score
The pedal at $25 is a good deal. Check that the switch works by checking with a meter. The TPS resistance should range between about 500 to 5000 ohms resistance or so and should show a smooth increase as you depress the pedal. It varies a bit. Going across one pair should show a fixed 5000 ohms and one of those connection points to the remaining lead will vary resistance from 500 to 5000 or 5000 to 500 ohms depending on which connections you hook up to. Low end resistance can be anywhere from 450 to 1000 ohms and the high end resistance can be from 4500 to 5000 ohms. Factory ones are about 450 to 4500 ohms, aftermarket ones vary.

No throttle response means the Idle Validation Switch needs to be adjusted. The switch tells the PCM the pedal is being depressed. Bend the tab (or install screw) until you hear the switch click when released and when depressed. Repeat several times per adjustment. Try to get it as close as possible and operating every time. If the IVS is bad, there are no replacements available, the factory does no service them. A shot of WD-40 or contact cleaner MAY bring it back to life.

A supplier had them twice (from the oem maker, Cutler-Hammer) but quickly sold out each time. One reason the factory still has the complete pedal assembly priced at only $400 skins.

The Throttle Position Switch (actually a potentiometer) tells the PCM where the pedal position is. The switch is a 5 volt circuit. You need to tap into the output lead of the TPS (or use a scanner that reads TPS output in voltage, not percent. Mine read 100% but was only 3.5 volts) to see what the output voltage is at full throttle. The wire is grey/white at the TPS plug. Don't cut the wire, just tap into it. Ideally, it should be between 4.25-4.5 volts at full depression. The internet says any more (like above 4.6 or so) the PCM reverts back to idle state, not good. :badidea:

The TPS switches are available from the aftermarket for $30-40 or so. Dealer doesn't service these either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online