Another T4 thread

rhorsers

Reaction score
Mine is ordered but no tracking info yet. I assume I could send it back if I don't install it, but I am going to try to put the shipment on hold until I find out more

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Well I'm still pretty sure a 366 will be laggy and smokey down low with your current injectors. But then again I have no experience with that combo. Just my experience with a few different combos and I'm not thinking yours is the best.

superpsd

Reaction score
No I have 3.73s and automatic

With an automatic and the 366sxe and. 91 housing you will probably be just fine. I would try it out. Many have been saying these 300sxe series turbos spool about as quick as a 38R and the 38R has been a good all around turbo. The 366 has a slightly larger compressor than the 364.5 but uses the same turbine wheel. With the smaller. 91 housing it may work just fine. I would be less worried with an automatic truck. That's just my opinion. These SXE turbos seem to be kickass as I have yet to see anyone post a negative comment anywhere about the SXE line.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
With an automatic and the 366sxe and. 91 housing you will probably be just fine. I would try it out. Many have been saying these 300sxe series turbos spool about as quick as a 38R and the 38R has been a good all around turbo. The 366 has a slightly larger compressor than the 364.5 but uses the same turbine wheel. With the smaller. 91 housing it may work just fine. I would be less worried with an automatic truck. That's just my opinion. These SXE turbos seem to be kickass as I have yet to see anyone post a negative comment anywhere about the SXE line.

Im with you guys the 366sxe prob will be fine ,especially with the auto like others have said. Buuuut, if your spending the cash for a new turbo get the one that will work BEST. And my money is on the 364.5 working better in your application. It will keep egts cooler under heavy load at lower rpms.
My guess is irate prob has a shelf full of 366 turbos and maybe he has to order the 364.5.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im with you guys the 366sxe prob will be fine ,especially with the auto like others have said. Buuuut, if your spending the cash for a new turbo get the one that will work BEST. And my money is on the 364.5 working better in your application. It will keep egts cooler under heavy load at lower rpms.
My guess is irate prob has a shelf full of 366 turbos and maybe he has to order the 364.5.

Unless i was running huge injectors id go for the 364.5sxe. I think it'll clean up any 100% nozzle combo.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Mine is ordered but no tracking info yet. I assume I could send it back if I don't install it, but I am going to try to put the shipment on hold until I find out more

If it were me I would the change order to a 364.5. If you go big on injectors in the future sell 364.5 and choose an appropriate turbo.

Last edited:

HBDELUX

Reaction score
I was told the back plate is the same. So you can go from 364.5 to 366 by swapping covers and wheels. Just depends if you are comfortable with not having the assembly ballanced as a unit. If you are buying the cover, wheel and sending out for disasembly, cleaning and balance you are better off selling the 364.5 and buying new. I was quoted 250.00 plus compressor housing and compressor wheel.

Double check before if you are going to try this... just what I was told.

Last edited:

rhorsers

Reaction score
Ok. Do I have to have the exhaust housing gasket that has the separation down the center for the twin scroll T4 flange or can I use the 95-97 OBS gasket for this turbo housing? I did not receive a gasket in my kit. Is it normally a metal gasket that comes with the kit or is it a fiber gasket like normal gaskets? Need some help ASAP

rhorsers

Reaction score
Yes. I am pretty sure. Don't have it in front of me but I think it is. .91 s366sxe turbo and irate t4 kit. I know for sure the flange at the up pipe is divided

HBDELUX

Reaction score
The gasket ships in the turbo box make sure to remove all the foam. The gasket is very thin metal crush gasket. Mine shipped with the open gasket.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I have some questions for everyone who have switched from the 38R to an SXE turbo if you all wouldn't mind providing your input on;

From reading it sounds like the 364.5 & .91AR housing would work great with the rest of the mods in my signature versus the 366?

What intakes are you using with the SXE? I have a new style S&B now, will it work? Is the SXE quiet enough I could go back to a 6637 style filter which is easier to work around? (38R was too loud for the family with the 6637)

Should this work with the RiffRaff billet plenums?

Does the WG the SXE comes with sufficient? Do you use the stock plumbing and electronics? (Currently using the Dieselsite mechanical WG controller)

Issues I have with the 38r is that it doesn't boost much in the tow tune and when towing our Fiver I need to rev it up on grades and sometimes it will start surging and then I have to back off. It is also more smokey than I'd like DD'ing the truck. I have custom tunes from both GH (Matt provided) and PHP and use a combo of them depending on how the truck is to be driven.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have some questions for everyone who have switched from the 38R to an SXE turbo if you all wouldn't mind providing your input on;

From reading it sounds like the 364.5 & .91AR housing would work great with the rest of the mods in my signature versus the 366?

What intakes are you using with the SXE? I have a new style S&B now, will it work? Is the SXE quiet enough I could go back to a 6637 style filter which is easier to work around? (38R was too loud for the family with the 6637)

Should this work with the RiffRaff billet plenums?

Does the WG the SXE comes with sufficient? Do you use the stock plumbing and electronics? (Currently using the Dieselsite mechanical WG controller)

Issues I have with the 38r is that it doesn't boost much in the tow tune and when towing our Fiver I need to rev it up on grades and sometimes it will start surging and then I have to back off. It is also more smokey than I'd like DD'ing the truck. I have custom tunes from both GH (Matt provided) and PHP and use a combo of them depending on how the truck is to be driven.

Thanks for any input!

I don't have a SXE but BASB (64.5mm) which is pre-SXE line. You will love the SXE. Your build is the same as mine. I have no complaints.

I start moving the boost needle at 1200.

My gf loves the whistling sound the turbo makes which is not loud at all. The turbo sounds the same when you drive next to an 18 wheeler. I run an open AFE filter equalivant to a 6637.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online