Auxiliary but subtle back-up lights

MorganM

Reaction score
Worked on this project for several months(involving another PSA member) with an objective to improve back-up lighting without drilling holes in the bumper or hanging lights off the trailer hitch.

Our truck beds have pre-drilled holes to mount a marker light below the tailgate just above the license plate so after some measuring and template work, I have a bracket that attaches to the bed and accepts a thin LED bar. It's tight, but it fits perfectly under the tailgate with zero interference. Requires no drilling and there are a few LED options, but they're all less than $50. In fact, I'm using one that's assembled in the USA and costs about $30.
LINK

The bracket angles the light downward about 15* which adds enough useful lighting to be noticeable, but not overwhelming or wash out the back-up camera. It's been installed for about 8 months and has worked very well- no problems.

I have an extra bracket that was an earlier prototype that doesn't perfectly align to the holes in the bed. It can be made to work and I'm happy to send it to anyone that wants it. Need about $75 to cover my costs and shipping. It's 11 guage stainless steel.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 121
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 136

Jomax

Reaction score
What needs to be done to the bracket? Make the holes a bit bigger? I'll take it if it isn't too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MorganM

Reaction score
What needs to be done to the bracket? Make the holes a bit bigger? I'll take it if it isn't too much work.

Yes- enlarge the holes a bit or beat the mounting tabs slightly inward, but 1/8" SS isn't too compliant. The final piece has slots/oblong holes. Take a look at the pictures before you commit.

It works just like I wanted, but it may not be bright enough for some. The pictures don't do a great job of depicting all the extra light. Could be that I didn't find a dark enough road.
All 4 pictures from the drivers side tail light. 2 with the LED covered by cardboard.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 100

Jomax

Reaction score
Does it help at all with hooking up a trailer in the dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are these low enough power to just pull 12v right from reverse wire or do you have them on a switch?