overheating while towing heavy

Short Bus

Reaction score
Ive been fighting my truck for probably a year now with this, maybe more and i cant figure it out. The truck runs 190-200 empty which is obviously not a problem. The problem comes when you are pulling a heavy load (16-17k lb 5er), accelerating and pulling hills, the temp sometimes just goes out of control before the clutch kicks in and cools the damn thing off. When im towing really heavy it really sucks, its a constant battle trying to keep it from getting hot. Sometimes it will spike up to 230+ so quick that i cant back out of the throttle quick enough and it pukes coolant. It pisses me off because as soon as the clutch finally kicks in it cools right down. Ive tried a mishimoto radiator, new t-stat, new ford fan clutch, 7.3 fan clutch, new ford radiator, no tune, ******** heavy tow tune, 8k tow tune and its all the same. The 7.3 clutch probably worked the best but they never lasted more than maybe a month, always got junk. Is there any way to have the fan clutch start coming in sooner or a more aggressive pwm on it? Ive also thought about switching to evans waterless coolant but damn that **** is expensive and kinda sucks if you ever have a leak and lose some.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
or even electric fans? im not personally a fan of them , but in your case they may be rather effective. is there an underlying headgasket issue contributing to this? it shouldn't puke unless it either flashboils or you have too much coolant .. or theres excess pressure.
For it to flashboil I would look at a possible waterpump issue .

08Monster

Reaction score
Jeez I can't even get 195 out of my 6.0 while towing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Reaction score
or even electric fans? im not personally a fan of them , but in your case they may be rather effective. is there an underlying headgasket issue contributing to this? it shouldn't puke unless it either flashboils or you have too much coolant .. or theres excess pressure.
For it to flashboil I would look at a possible waterpump issue .

I think it pukes because of flashboil, when empty i can load up the hot tune and beat the piss out of it and it will not puke. we are on water pump number 3 at this time and radiator #2, Fan clutch number who knows.... Im going to try the snow plow fan clutch and see what it does.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Jeez I can't even get 195 out of my 6.0 while towing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hook on to this and im sure she will warm up a little. im guessing that we are north of 30k. If the budget allowed it id have a 6.7 and dump this turd lol.

Attachments

• 6.0 tow.jpg
    6.0 tow.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 116

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
Hook on to this and im sure she will warm up a little. im guessing that we are north of 30k. If the budget allowed it id have a 6.7 and dump this turd lol.

LOL fair enough, definitely would get nice and toasty . 6.7s pull very nice, let me know about the 6.0 snow fan clutch

Mdub707

Reaction score
You said what temps you're seeing, but didn't say if they were coolant or oil? Would be helpful to know both of them side by side. May have an oil cooler issue as well.

Short Bus

Reaction score
It was primarily the coolant, but the oil temps also were high due to the high ect.

As of now the issue seems to be fixed. I changed tuning and installed a snow plow package clutch. I have over heated it once since i did the changes, but stupid me didnt hook a coolant line up after installing an intake on it. it blew all the coolant out then got hot lol

Jeremy

Reaction score
What about manually turning the fan on, if the pcm is doing it to late? Grounding out the clutch actually works pretty well. An aftermarket controller that could control the pwm would be nice though. Also Combining the fan at 100% and the exhaust brake from the tap shifter works pretty well for engine braking.

Your tap shifter will probably help as well, since you can make it stay in a gear and pull vs down shifting and reving the engine up on rpms.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Members online