1997 Ford F250 Axle Swap

jbferd250

Reaction score
I have a 97 ford f250 2wd that is in extremely good shape. It has a low k 7.5l I know this is a powerstroke forum but I believe there isnt a 7.5 l forum. I am wanting to do an axle swap to make it 4x4 I have the tranny and the transfer case. I also have a 99 dana 60 I believe and a 89 twin I beam. I was wondering if the 99 dana 60 will fit in with out fabrication? If not then should I put the dreaded twin I beam in or spend a lot of money to get the proper dana 60?

Thanks

4f79f195bf5ae9824c5b62c3ee0c2592.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The simplist way to do this on a 2wd OBS is to get 05-08 (IIRC) coil spring Super Duty matching fron and rear. Nearly bolt on with some fab. The SD monobeam 60 can also be made to work, Need to buy an reverse shackle kit that is set up to put an SD axle (slight offset in brackets to accomodate slightly different width of front end)

freddie

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a place in Lorain OH that is offering complete coil sprung front assemblies. Details in this thumbnail

Attachments

• CoilSpringAssy.JPG
    CoilSpringAssy.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 66

jbferd250

Reaction score
Wish I could get that but I live up in canada eh

JCart

Reaction score
Another option is get a Dana 60, think 95 to 97 as these have the better front caliper assemblies (meaning no slide pin), to hold pads to caliper. Then get a shackle reversal kit from Precision Metal Fabrications that is a bolt on kit using Super Duty Springs. As I recall th SD springs are 6" longer and ride much much better then the stockers. The SRK takes the extra length into account. Also install the anti sway bars front and rear and if you like put on rear SD springs too, they are a bolt in basically. You'll be very pleased with the ride and handling. Do a search on Reverse Shackle Kits or search on above Co.

Also do a search on Ford Truck Enthusiast they should have info on the 7.5 engine.

j

Last edited:

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
I have a 97 ford f250 2wd that is in extremely good shape. It has a low k 7.5l I know this is a powerstroke forum but I believe there isnt a 7.5 l forum. I am wanting to do an axle swap to make it 4x4 I have the tranny and the transfer case. I also have a 99 dana 60 I believe and a 89 twin I beam. I was wondering if the 99 dana 60 will fit in with out fabrication? If not then should I put the dreaded twin I beam in or spend a lot of money to get the proper dana 60?

Thanks

Since You already own the 99 axle(BTW it is a dana 50 unless it is a dually)
I would use it. You still need spring mounts to attach it to your truck. PMF makes the offset RSK to put in the front hanger(you will need to box your frame rails to install the RSK correctly). SKY manufacturing also makes an offset RSK and the hangers for the rear of the spring. The RSk will allow you to use the better ridding 99-04 longer lea springs(3-3/8" longer). But you will also want to get the rear SD axle as well since the SD has a metric 8 on 170mm bolt pattern. They also have disc brakes

Latest posts

Members online