Anyone have a good hydraulic ram assist and power steering pump combo?

Trucknut661

Reaction score
I have a lot of play in the steering wheel. When I turn the wheel it has a hop like it slips then catches. Was trying to see what a good hydraulic ram system would be and power steering pump to be able to have enough output. I'm turning 40's. Thanks in advance 👍🏻

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
I used a "redneck ram" from West Texas Off-road. I sent my steering sector in and they drilled and tapped ports to go to the cylinder. Quality kit I had on a blazer with 39.5 swampers on.

The Brad

Reaction score
+1 on the Redneck Ram! I went that route after I broke the rod end on the center link. I can steer with 1 finger while pressing the brakes with 35s. Only draw back is maneuvering at idle. It needs a little more volume than the pump can provide at idle.

Countrycar

Reaction score
The cheapest way to do this, is to do it yourself. That is if your inclined to take this kind of venture on. I saw a write up of a guy that literally took his Steering box apart had it tapped for the fittings, ordered hoses and all the parts he needed and put it all together himself. I'll see if I can find the write up he did.

Layson

Reaction score
If you don't have a high steer knuckle I would go that route before running hydro assist.

My truck at 12" of lift on 40s could steer easier than when it was on 6" of lift on 37s. Just by improving the steering geometry.

Its expensive to do hydro assist right. Your pump on your truck is a POS so it will never keep up with a hydro ram. If they made a good replacement pump for a 7.3, hydro assist would be great. The stock pump just doesn't have the volume flow.

The most improvement in steering was the high steer knuckle.

Zmann

Reaction score
that dude was seat of the pants
. I attempted to drill it myself. I drilled pilot holes and then stepped up my drill bit sizes. I do not have a vise on my little drill press. Once I got up to half inch, the drill bit began binding and throwing the Gear box across the room. It bound so hard it broke the 1/2 inch drill bit and drew the gear box across the shop into my tool box.///I called Red Head Steering Gear and asked them how to put the gear box back together.

if your box has slop now I would send it to get drilled and rebuilt and get a pump set up for ram assist plus I wouldn't disregard Layson's suggestion

Countrycar

Reaction score
that dude was seat of the pants

if your box has slop now I would send it to get drilled and rebuilt and get a pump set up for ram assist plus I wouldn't disregard Layson's suggestion
Haa haa haa, I agree. Some crazy stuff going there.
5-6 yrs ago pryor to my RH steering box rebuild , I had already done a complete PSC system anticipating that at some point I might want to do a Ram kit. I never did the Ram kit, but at least I have the option. Good info..

Bluke

Reaction score
Redhead will not drill and tap your box. So you have to drill and tap it before your send it in. Or get an AGR performance box. They will drill and tap it for you.

Trucknut661

Reaction score
I was looking into the PSC box and that way I have the option to do it later. I have the superlift 10" system on 40's. Is the superlift steering front end good enough to where I just have to do the ram assist or do I need to swap it all out for a cross over steering? Never owned a truck this tall or a diesel before so forgive the ignorance.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Redhead will not drill and tap your box. So you have to drill and tap it before your send it in. Or get an AGR performance box. They will drill and tap it for you.
I just got off the phone with Steve/ Tech at Redhead and he confirmed that yes they still do the drilling and tapping of steering box's should one need this done in order to put in a Ram assist kit.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I was looking into the PSC box and that way I have the option to do it later. I have the superlift 10" system on 40's. Is the superlift steering front end good enough to where I just have to do the ram assist or do I need to swap it all out for a cross over steering? Never owned a truck this tall or a diesel before so forgive the ignorance.

I would call PSC and talk to the owner Charlie, I think is his name. He's a real nice guy to talk to and very helpful as well. At minimum you'll come away with all the info you need to make a decision and or your options along with the cost. I did the Saginaw conversion kit about 10 yrs ago, and although it helped with my steering, it struggles to turn my Mickey Thompson's 325x65x18's from a stopped position. I'm sharing this with you because I don't want you to think that you could do just a saginaw kit and be good to go.
Where the PSC Saginaw kit made a huge difference, is when I'm driving down the road. My steering is much more sensitive, tighter and responsive. Might be worth looking into a High Steering knuckle as Layson mentioned.
Anyhow hope this helps yah out some.

Last edited:

Trucknut661

Reaction score
I've been trying for a week to get ahold of psc. I left emails and tried calling. It always says they are closed and are on central time. I called the number on the website. I'll probably lean towards the red head because they do have the option to tap it for you like countrycar said. I think with that a crossover steering with high steering knuckle I should be good to add a ram assist down the line. Now will the stock power steering pump work with the ram assist or is it too weak?

The Brad

Reaction score
The only issue with the stock pump is volume at idle, you can't turn the wheel as fast as you'd like. Give it a little rpm and it'll be fine.

I thought I read somewhere that the hydro boost is also a restriction. If that's true, then a different pump may not help.

Motomez

Reaction score
I have had the PSC system on my truck for the last 5years + works just like a stock system with no problems. I sent my box to Redhead to be rebuilt only to have the same problem. I have 90K on the PSC and could not imagine going back to the Armstrong steering system

Countrycar

Reaction score
The only issue with the stock pump is volume at idle, you can't turn the wheel as fast as you'd like. Give it a little rpm and it'll be fine.

I thought I read somewhere that the hydro boost is also a restriction. If that's true, then a different pump may not help.

Hey Pal. Right you are Brad. The last conversation I had with Charlie at PSC oh about 6 yrs ago or so, he mentioned to me that if you send them your Hydro Assist, they will go thru it as well, increasing flow and volume there by making for a pretty sweet setup. I wish I would have done this back when I did my PSC conversion kit. My truck was down, so I just had to get it done. I told myself when I get a chance, I'll send them my Hyrdo assist in at later date and get that done. Of course, it never happened, and I just forgot about it until now. :axe: The Turbo is first though:rockon:

Latest posts

Members online