Minimum Injector for 6.0L Compounds?

colo_dually

Reaction score
Deeper question here than most forums, since why I'm asking this here.

What is the experienced answer to minimum injector nozzle to spool a compound set up cleanly?

I run a great KC Stage 2 now, and would make that the HP unit when I take this further. (Tuning dependent) My atmo plans lay around an S475, though I'm not sure how to size the exhaust housing to make this perform best?

This is not ment to be a heavy drag/dyno/pull set up, but remain street mannered and full towing capable. So keeping the nozzles to a minimum and keeping the heat/smoke down is paramount.

Thanks for any feed back ya'll can provide.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Charlie was running 205/30 on about the same setup. He said it was smoke free, to the point of more fuel was absolutely necessary. This being said, ive been tossing around the idea for a while to do the same, and was thinking possibly 250/100, or 225/75 as a good clean towing setup.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Problem being tuning. I'm not sure Charlie even got the tuning ironed out with his set-up, which may have contributed to the demise of his well used and abused test mule motor...For those that have tried it, EBP seems to be hard to keep in check with a VGT as the high pressure. Adding a waste gate only adds to the tuning nightmare...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
He told me it was working great. He was having problems, and finally got everything ironed out apparently using his modded ebp sensor. Motor ate the main bearings, rods were fine. Think it may have been a machining issue possibly. Think it was only in there a year, ye a r and a half or so, at least after the lastrebuild.

colo_dually

Reaction score
There has been some guys to pull it off. Which is why Ive started researching the topic again.

I know something needs to done about the EBP sensor. Wheather a modification of the circuit, or use a 6.4L unit (need to do some more circuit research to make that statement).

I feel this would be a huge boom to the 6.0L.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
He told me it was working great. He was having problems, and finally got everything ironed out apparently using his modded ebp sensor. Motor ate the main bearings, rods were fine. Think it may have been a machining issue possibly. Think it was only in there a year, ye a r and a half or so, at least after the lastrebuild.

But I believe Charlie didn't have a working EBP gauge, so who knows what it was with the set up. I believe the engine was somewhat on borrowed time.

Hell, I hope someone can get a VGT compound set up working and come out with an "add on" compound kit. I'd be in for a set up!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Sadly my motor is getting rebuilt. I am still unsure what happened. My thrust/crank bearing went out. Rod/cam bearings were fine, head gaskets were fine, lifters/cam were fine, etc... We have not yet 100% determined what caused the failure. I fear it came from the s476sxe. When we first got the truck running the s476 was not even spinning at idle. It felt a little "gritty". The vgt turbo was spinning fine. So we pulled the brand new s476 and found some grit in the bearings. I am fearful that something got washed out of the turbo into the oil pan, and ended up getting fed to the crank bearing which caused it to let go. Hindsight is 20/20 but I should have drained/changed the oil immediately but I was just so excited to get the truck going... oh and we were on a fresh oil change from shaefers.

As was stated above, I only got about 24hrs worth of driving before my motor took a dump. I was running 205/30 with kc stage 2r HP and s476sxe LP turbo. Truck ran cleaner than stock at WOT. Even on a boosted 4x4 launch it was just a puff of smoke and then GONE all the way up to about 110mph.

I did have my EBP sensor working for the first few hours, but then it got gunked up (it has been on its last leg for a while and I just kept cleaning it). The EBP sensor mod was working perfect. We had plans to fine tweak it... but motor let go right away. We were seeing about 50-55psi of boost with 60-75psi of EBP

About the EBP sensor mod. We have had a lot of success with this. We have been working on it for years, and started testing it around this time last year. We have had great results. We have the formula down, but now we just need to get more tuners on board. It really opens up the gateway to making more power with VGT turbos and even running VGT compounds. It basically give more control over the vanes above 40psi, currently tuners have ZERO control once the truck hits 40psi of ebp/boost. We have seen gains of 30-75hp with just switching tunes.

colo_dually

Reaction score
. . .

As was stated above, I only got about 24hrs worth of driving before my motor took a dump. I was running 205/30 with kc stage 2r HP and s476sxe LP turbo. Truck ran cleaner than stock at WOT. Even on a boosted 4x4 launch it was just a puff of smoke and then GONE all the way up to about 110mph.

I did have my EBP sensor working for the first few hours, but then it got gunked up (it has been on its last leg for a while and I just kept cleaning it). The EBP sensor mod was working perfect. We had plans to fine tweak it... but motor let go right away. We were seeing about 50-55psi of boost with 60-75psi of EBP

About the EBP sensor mod. We have had a lot of success with this. We have been working on it for years, and started testing it around this time last year. We have had great results. We have the formula down, but now we just need to get more tuners on board. It really opens up the gateway to making more power with VGT turbos and even running VGT compounds. It basically give more control over the vanes above 40psi, currently tuners have ZERO control once the truck hits 40psi of ebp/boost. We have seen gains of 30-75hp with just switching tunes.

Charlie, its great to hear from you.

I'm reading this correctly, that you didn't have issues spooling your setup with 30% nozzles? I was assuming that 50 or 75's would be required?

Congradulations are in order for the early reports of new BB units by the way.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Charlie, its great to hear from you.

I'm reading this correctly, that you didn't have issues spooling your setup with 30% nozzles? I was assuming that 50 or 75's would be required?

Congradulations are in order for the early reports of new BB units by the way.

No issues whatsoever.

Actually I personally think the the 30% nozzle is big enough to spool just about any typical turbo. I have ran just about every typical turbo size with 205/30 and 250/100 and the results were exactly the same. the 30% nozzles ran cleaner/cooler down low and spooled much faster. The 100% just had more top end power.

Here are the turbos I was able to test. Every one spooled faster and ran cleaner with the 30% nozzles.

Stage 1 vgt
stage 2 vgt
stage 3 vgt
Stage 2r vgt
Many other random size vgt while experimenting
s362
s363
s364.5
s366
s369

colo_dually

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback as always.

. . .

Actually I personally think the the 30% nozzle is big enough to spool just about any typical turbo. I have ran just about every typical turbo size with 205/30 and 250/100 and the results were exactly the same. the 30% nozzles ran cleaner/cooler down low and spooled much faster. The 100% just had more top end power.

. . .

I was thinking more on the compound side of things for the larger nozzles. Your feedback is great though. 30% nozzles will help me do this in stages, once I can get the plan moving. My current Stage 2 is running like a champ, upto that 40# EBP threashold - I know there's more I can get out of it.

scparrish

Reaction score

I have been waiting for this mod since you first started talking about it. Any ideas on when this would be available?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have been waiting for this mod since you first started talking about it. Any ideas on when this would be available?

Send me an email and we can talk about it. It is already available, we just have not figure out how to market/sell it. We are also working to get more tuners on board.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.