Hello from Tennessee

Holland73

Reaction score
Hello all got a new to me 2011 black f250 Fx4 130k miles . My first diesel got it about 2 months ago. First a little story about my experience so far. When I bought it the stealership gave me a decent deal could of been better but could have been much worse. Anyways test drove it crawled under it and checked it out everything looked okay. Motor was strong and quiet. Carfax showed owned by a company and it was serviced every 5k miles. Inside was dang near perfect. So I bought the truck and was so very excited. An hour into the drive home and the CEL came on (my heart and stomach sunk). Pulled over couldn't hear anything weird, it still had plenty of power. So I drove it home hooked up my obd2 Bluetooth adapter and ran the code on torque. It said exhaust gas recirculation insufficient. Okay so clogged EGR. I was pretty upset but not bad cause I was planning on putting it on a diet anyways. So 3 weeks later I did it. Got a ez lynk from GDP tuning and love the power. I've been running it on 100hp tune but probably going to go back to the 50hp. Feels like I get better MPG.

So the few questions I have are.
1. Are the glow plug breaking off or valve dropping (everyone has different opinions on what goes first) as rampant as the forums make it seem?
2. Is their anything I can do to pro long the turbo? I know running hot tunes dont help. I run archoil in the oil and the fuel for that matter.
3. What about EGTs. On the 100hp tune under WOT it hits 1400 pretty easily is this to hot even though the probe is right on the manifold?
ef47e0523175d548177ec3081ced3064.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice truck. The valves breaking is only on the first run of the motors. The tsb for it says the build date is 3/29/2011 or earlier, so its a pretty small window of time.

Holland73

Reaction score
Thank you. yeah the build date is 3/23/2011

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Thank you. yeah the build date is 3/23/2011

Well good luck... Honestly, ive only seen it on trucks run hard and put away wet. Mostly 450-550 commercial trucks that were extremely heavy and typically had a trailer behind them. If youre real worried, you can always swap the heads, as i believe the heads were miscast, not the blocks. But it has been awhile nce ive done one.

Holland73

Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah I thought about heads but defiantly don't have the funds for that yet.

sootie

Reaction score
Well good luck... Honestly, ive only seen it on trucks run hard and put away wet. Mostly 450-550 commercial trucks that were extremely heavy and typically had a trailer behind them. If youre real worried, you can always swap the heads, as i believe the heads were miscast, not the blocks. But it has been awhile nce ive done one.

The heads arent miscast. The valves were incorrectly heat treated which causes them to fatigue prematurely and crack apart.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The heads arent miscast. The valves were incorrectly heat treated which causes them to fatigue prematurely and crack apart.

Oops, my bad. I had heard they didnt put a cooling passage where it needed to be, causing them to superheat and fail by cracking and dropping. Guess the heat treating issue makes a little more sense. :toast:

Latest posts

Members online