4r100 upgrades????

97cherokee

Reaction score
hey guys im looking to do some upgrades to my 4r100. im looking into the 6.0 trans cooler upgrade, what all is required to do this???

deeper trans pan, seems the derale is pretty popular and cost effective, any downsides to this pan? such as the tubes leaking?

also looking to do an upgraded valve body, who should i go with and will i need to get my ts chip reflashed if i do upgrade the valvebody? the swamps tunes kind of suck anyway as far as the shift points go.

psduser1

Reaction score
The cooler swap will rewuire adapting from 3/8" to 1/2" tubing.
Mishimoto offers a nice cooler, with the adaptors and hose.
I'd skip the pan, personally.

bruce

Reaction score
6.0 cooler is a beast, I'd skip the pan as well. Transgo tugger kit is pretty popular or you could just buy a bts or John woods valve body.

Jomax

Reaction score
Skip the pan, get a road runner triple don converter, JW valve body, and 6.0 cooler and you got a solid trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97cherokee

Reaction score
hey guys, so i got my 6.0 trans cooler ordered, some new tci fluid, filter, lines etc. ive tried sourcing a john woods valve body, bit either people are out of stock, want to much for shipping or wont respond. i searched around and im now looking at the diesel site valve body. what are the opinions on this? and from what i gather they recomend having the chips set to factory line pressures for multiple reasons... didnt realize upping the line psi via chip could lead to premature pump failures and such.

also got to looking around on diesel site and im looking at their wastgate controller for my38r. anyone had experience with it??? i can currently get mine to build 38lbs but it does drop off.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I've been running the Johnny Lightning valve body in mine for 300k miles. Tuners say it's very very similar to the John Woods. The ones that have live tuned my truck that is. They are always in stock and never requires a core.

George4

Reaction score
I asked on here if valve bodies were worth doing and DP tuner tried to say that with the tuner they can raise line pressure just like the valve body so there was no need to swap it out. What is your guys thoughts on that?

George4

Reaction score
I've been running the Johnny Lightning valve body in mine for 300k miles. Tuners say it's very very similar to the John Woods. The ones that have live tuned my truck that is. They are always in stock and never requires a core.

Where did you get yours at?

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I asked on here if valve bodies were worth doing and DP tuner tried to say that with the tuner they can raise line pressure just like the valve body so there was no need to swap it out. What is your guys thoughts on that?

That was nice of them.. I got a John woods valve body and it felt great. Then I got "custom tunes" from idp and it was the worst shifting I've ever felt. Canned sct tunes were firmer and faster shifting. Their response was that they don't do transmission tuning if you have a valve body....
My point is that the tuner and valve body builder have to work together.. maybe dp was trying to save you from wasting money.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I ran DP tunes for years with a valve body and the shifting was better when he adjusted the tunes for it than it was running without one with and adjusted pressures.

psduser1

Reaction score
I have a bts vlv body in my excursion, about the same price as the link above.
My tuner, ghead, and a couple others mentioned that it was very difficult to impossible to make tuning changes through the pcm with the ex tuning strategies, so that made no changes to the files.
Basically just swapped out the vlv bodies, and run it.

It flat works.
Obviously not a racecar, but the shifts are darn near perfect. Under heavy throttle, they are very crisp. Under light throttle, still crisp, but smooth.

George4

Reaction score
I was unhappy with how IDP tunes made my transmission shift on the tunes when I first got them but they changed some thing and left some adjustable options open so I could change them to how I want it to feel. I have ran IDP tunes an More Power Tuning tunes, I want to try GH tunes but they won't do a 7.3 tune for SCT tuners. Who are some of your guys tuning your trucks with a valve body?

mandkole

Reaction score
Any good tuner can tune around a modded valve body--good cooler, triple disk converter and good TCC controls should round out a good mod list.

When the trans is out, know the best results here come from a very sound transmission to start with. These parts won't rehab a trans that's got its best days behind it. Don't risk $1500 worth of good parts in a tired unit.

Last edited:

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I was unhappy with how IDP tunes made my transmission shift on the tunes when I first got them but they changed some thing and left some adjustable options open so I could change them to how I want it to feel. I have ran IDP tunes an More Power Tuning tunes, I want to try GH tunes but they won't do a 7.3 tune for SCT tuners. Who are some of your guys tuning your trucks with a valve body?

IDP told me AFTER I bought the tunes that they will not do transmission tuning

Latest posts

Members online