6.0 rebuild, not running right

Dstaff77

Reaction score
Well, I'm new here so hello to whoever reads this.
So, I have an 07 F250 6.0, truck was running fine and used as a daily driver when it developed a coolant leak. The truck is basically stock except for 4" exhaust, lift kit, Bully dog tuner, and k and n filter. So without really looking into it I decided to do head gaskets, arp studs, egr ******, oil cooler upgrade, blue spring upgrade, new radiator, new alternator, new belt, new water pump, and a new clutch fan. Yeah. So, after reassembly and filling with 5w30 oil, new coolant, it took the normal 3 tries to get it started. Of course I immediately learned I didn't have the y pipe seated to the turbo, so after a few adjustments got that taken care of. The truck will fire right up, idle lime it has a cam, and blow bluish white smoke. Turbo will build, but the truck runs like it has a dead cylinder. It doesn't come out of it even after warm-up. It also is throwing a cyli see 5 contribution code.
So what I have done to this point to see if I could find the problem are-
Pulled valve covers to check for bent pushrods - there are none
Replaced #5 injector - still has contribution code
Checked the entire injector harness for chaffing- found one spot right by injector 5 and re wrapped it
Checked FICM KOEO - Has 48.3 volts
Checked turbo seal - no oil leaks
Batteries are both new
Checked FICM connection - good but didn't hear the three "click" in but they are seated all the way against it
Checked map sensor tube hose connection
Double checked everything is plugged in

All of this and the truck still isn't running right, shudders and almost sounds like a intermittent turbo bark on acceleration, idles rough, smokes at idle and acceleration. But it starts right up, builds boost, and revs high when on the pedal in park.
Also, I can hear a chugging through the filter and at the exbaust. We unplugged cylinder 5 while running and no change even after the new injector. We also put a meter on the #5 plug while unplugged from injector and got 35. Volts??? Don't know if that's normal. Injector plug 3 had similar readings. I'm at a total loss what this could be. I have read more than 30 different situations that are similar but always have some part of the problem different than mine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jpow95

Reaction score
Did you mark the crank at 6 o'clock before you tightened down the head studs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
How did you check the push rods? Did you crank the motor with the starter signal wire?

jpow95

Reaction score
If it's on 5 it's most likely a push rod cause start with the basics it all works before it came apart if you have a bad 5injector after a head jobs ?? Come on they don't go bad that quick pull the exhaust for number 5 first pull that nut off the stud and check the rods a new push rod is 6$ from ford

atc500

Reaction score
Please let me know when try this, I have a truck with the same code on cylinder #2 replaced injector,harness batteries,and ficm no change same symptoms as you except it won't rev high even in park

Dstaff77

Reaction score
Well, it WAS a bent push rod in cylinder 5. So any one that says setting the dowel in the 6 o clock position doesn't matter- it definitely does.

jpow95

Reaction score
Yep every time but Ats did you just do a head job

atc500

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out and no the truck I'm having issues with isn't the one in my sig, it's an 06 My brother bought it from a guy who claimed it just needed an injector we replaced it twice with 2 new ones no change tested the ficm it was good even tried the one off my truck did a injector harness no change it has good fuel pressure and good compression the truck is all stock and the heads have never been off as far as I can tell, it has 113k miles Im thinking now of pulling the push rod out on the bad cylinder and seeing if it's bent

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out and no the truck I'm having issues with isn't the one in my sig, it's an 06 My brother bought it from a guy who claimed it just needed an injector we replaced it twice with 2 new ones no change tested the ficm it was good even tried the one off my truck did a injector harness no change it has good fuel pressure and good compression the truck is all stock and the heads have never been off as far as I can tell, it has 113k miles Im thinking now of pulling the push rod out on the bad cylinder and seeing if it's bent

If you had a bent push rod, compression would not be good...

atc500

Reaction score
That's what I figured I just don't know what else to try

atc500

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone know what else might cause this could the harness in the cab or something with the pcm?

Petro

Reaction score
Well, it WAS a bent push rod in cylinder 5. So any one that says setting the dowel in the 6 o clock position doesn't matter- it definitely does.

Hmm, I've studded 20+ 6.0 and 6.4 trucks in the last 3 years and have never set the crank at the 6 o clock position before torquing heads and have NEVER once had an issue bending pushrods or anything else. I also replace lifters on every stud job so sounds like there was another issue to me.

Last edited:

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Hmm, I've studded 20+ 6.0 and 6.4 trucks in the last 3 years and have never set the crank at the 6 o clock position before torquing heads and have NEVER once had an issue bending pushrods or anything else. I also replace lifters on every stud job so sounds like there was another issue to me.

Yea we do about 3 stud jobs a week for the last 3/4 years and have never had an issue like that

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score

Erroneous.

You probably didn't have the pushrod seated in the lifter, off to the side probably

Latest posts

Members online