Tranny, Electrical?

Reaction score
Sorry I ramble but I am going to try and paint the whole picture. Bought a 2002 F250 last year, stock motor minus air intake and exhaust. Has edge gauges and after giving it a good cleaning found it had a off the shelf TS chip. No matter what setting you put the chip on it would shift fine as long as you didn't push the motor past 2000 rpm's. If you tried pushing it harder the torque converter locking in and out between shifts was very annoying to say the least. Cruising and hills it drove fine. Reverse was another issue. When you would go to back up the converter would lock up and you would have to hold the brake to get it to unlock but if not careful it would lock back up and try taking off on ya. Backing the truck was manageable but backing a trailer was a pain in the butt. The truck is really only driven on week ends and occasionally during the week so I just lived with it. Well I finally had enough and started looking for an issue. Pulled the chip out, sent it off and had it re-burnt for the truck. While the chip was out the truck drove 99% perfect which is why I had the chip re tuned. New chip back in and everyday driving is nice! Don't matter if you drive it hard or easy the ships are smooth and you can almost not feel it shift.Reverse still try's locking up but you hear it more than feel it? Nothing like it was. Taking off going forward has a new, weird hiccup. It only does it once every 3 or 4 take offs from a dead stop. You give it throttle and it bogs for a second like it has locked up (almost like you let the clutch out to quick on a manual) then it lets go and acts normal. Again it is only when you take off from a stop. A rolling stop and go acts fine. Trans fluid was changed by the dealer when I bought it and according to miles it is no where near needing a change yet. Fluid on the dip stick looks new with no signs of metal flake etc... What do I do now? Thanks!

Reaction score
Not the chip. Pulled it back out and it does the same thing. Try’s pulling in reverse and still same when you take off forward as well. The original chip must have just made the issue worse.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Get a 0-350 PSI gauge and install it in the test port. Get pressure readings at idle in P, R, N, D, 2, and 1. Also get pressures at stall in R, D, 2, and 1.

Reaction score
Update, finally got back around to this (rough time, don't ask) and a mechanic shop told me to check the filter. If they used the wrong one OR if the oring was messed up it can cause syptoms like this. So I picked up the correct filter and fluid and dropped the pan. There was soooo much metal sludge stuck to the magnet AND a couple bolts laying in the pan. So I cleaned the pan real good, can't tell where the bolts came from, put it all back together and it actually shifts better and smoother now going forward but all the issues are still there. So in about a week my new "built" transmission will be here and I will be swapping it out. Hopefully I will be problem free for many years to come after the instal.

Latest posts

Members online