2011+ Leaf spring help needed

bryan.d

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do the leaf spring swap/upgrade. I have been having a difficult time locating the 2011+, 2+1 or 3+1 leaf spring packs. Most of the ones I have been seeing in the local bone yards have been 5 or 6 Leaf packs. My question is are there specific models or spring codes to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
You can use any spring from 2008 and up. That being said the 2011+ f250 leafs are way too soft in my opinion and squat too much. I’ve done a few of these swaps and i always just find new take offs from people doing big lifts or I’ll just call Ford and order new. Personally I’ve been using 2020+ f450 springs since all my trucks will see loads and they actually ride good too. FYI the springs have to be from a pickup or dually, cab and chassis springs will not work.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Agree with the squat of the 2 leaf springs. I swapped in 2014 f250 springs into my 02 and they ride very good but squat under load but air bags are what I use when towing to keep the truck and drivetrain at the correct angle

bryan.d

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. If I understand correctly it doesn’t matter what leaf spring count is, as long as it’s 11 or newer. I thought the 2 or 3+ 1 were the most desirable. I ride unloaded most of the time. When I do do tow its usually not very heavy. I suppose I can get air bags if needed.

Reaction score
You can use any spring from 2008 and up. That being said the 2011+ f250 leafs are way too soft in my opinion and squat too much. I’ve done a few of these swaps and i always just find new take offs from people doing big lifts or I’ll just call Ford and order new. Personally I’ve been using 2020+ f450 springs since all my trucks will see loads and they actually ride good too. FYI the springs have to be from a pickup or dually, cab and chassis springs will not work.

No ****, the 2017 plus springs retro back? Nice! My truck is due for rear springs, it's settled pretty good.

ncollins64

Reaction score
You can use any 2008 and newer rear leaf springs. I just prefer 350 dually and 450 springs as they don’t squat but still ride good. Just gotta get the hanger brackets from PMF or make your own since 2008+ are like 8 inches longer

Addicted4

Reaction score
You also can just move your factory hanger forward which is what I did with no issues.

bryan.d

Reaction score
I was planning on using the existing and moving them forward then modifying the e-brake cable brackets.

BrewTown

Reaction score
I put the 2 leaf springs from a 2011 F250 in my '00 Ex. Ride is much better! I am thinking I may do the PMF traction bars with blocks to my desired size. I moved the stock front mount also...
I actually removed the parking brake cables, because automatic.

Addicted4

Reaction score
You should still have a ebrake period no questions. Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

Reaction score
I put the 2 leaf springs from a 2011 F250 in my '00 Ex. Ride is much better! I am thinking I may do the PMF traction bars with blocks to my desired size. I moved the stock front mount also...
I actually removed the parking brake cables, because automatic.

you know the parking paw inside the trans is spring loaded, right? given enough load, it will jump out of park. Should probably hook that e-brake back up.

BrewTown

Reaction score
Okay guys, how often do you set your parking brake in an auto? I know exactly 0 people who do.
Also, unless it's been used consistently, it'll just stick on. At least up here in the rust belt. Here's an open door to attempt to bash me for maintenance, go ahead...

In my manual vehicles, yes, working parking brake. It's useful for hooking trailers, or anything you need it running for. Parking on a hill, etc...

So, thank you for being judgmental, I'm happy with my decision.

Addicted4

Reaction score
I use my parking brake in my auto 7.3 all the time unless I’m on flat ground empty. You ever sit on a boat ramp with 6-7k on the park pin and then shift into gear and hear that wonderful sound, bang. They put emergency brakes in also if you lose your brakes you have a mechanical brake to slow/stop the truck. How much time and effort does it really take to make it work as it should from the factory? 1-2hrs depending on skills and tools seems well worth it to me. Or buy the brackets from pmf so you can hook it up if you can’t fabricate a new bracket when moving the stock hangers. Not judging but saying there is a right way and a half ass way you are ultimately the deciding factor.

Reaction score
If there's a wagon on the back of my truck, or I'm on an incline, it gets the parking brake. Loading and unloading trailers, parking brake. Winching, parking brake. I also live in the rust belt.

I'm not being judgmental, just explaining that the parking paw is not reliable for the aforementioned activities. In addition, as addicted stated, you're reducing the strain on the driveline.

I hope a truck never jumps out of park on you, but if one does, I hope you brought an extra pair of shorts!

BrewTown

Reaction score
Alright, those are all great reasons to use your parking brake. I would caution you on how effective it actually is though. As an aid it works, I've yet to have one hold an empty truck on a good incline, maybe shoes were glazed? Either way, to help that parking pawl in those situations, I tend to hit 4 low. Maybe we should set up a test, 4 low no brake vs high range and parking brake. I may be convinced to go through my system and make sure it's in good working order...

I generally have someone in the truck, in nuetral and holding the service brakes when loading a car hauler, because parking pin...

By the way, this is good discussion that could definitely help people ��
We could go on to how bigger tires increases load on the parking pin unless it's re-geared, or how age and heat cycles harden friction materials making them less effective.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie the parking brakes have been disconnected on both of my 08's since my fuel system is in the way.

rescuejg

Reaction score
Anyone in So Cal looking for the longer leafs pm me. I have a pair from a 2019 f350 for sale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
You still put it in park with the brake on. It’s just a added safety measure. I don’t trust one without the other. I would say that most aren’t perfect when it comes to maintenance and care because our trucks are tools we use to get things done. Steering and braking are the most important things we shouldn’t take for granted IMO.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie the parking brakes have been disconnected on both of my 08's since my fuel system is in the way.

I drove a 2wd 6 speed for over 100,000 miles without a working one, because rust belt. My 13 hasn't had one in since I changed the rear brakes. After an hour of beating on the rotor, I remembered the shoes were inside. Needless to say, the friction material fell off both sides.

Members online

No members online now.