Towing with a modded 6.0

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Ok guys I’ve owned 7.3’s for 15 years now and currently have a 01 6 speed. Wife and I bought a bigger horse trailer last year so I’d like to get a dually just for added stability. I’ve found a really nice 06 dually here locally but my big concern is that my 01 is 360-380hp in a tow tune and I don’t want to give that up. Can you reliably run 350-400rwhp and keep these things clean and cool at that power level? The trailer is 15-16k fully loaded with horses and tack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koda22

Reaction score
with a good tow tune i dont see you having any problems....I mean other then the typical 6.0 stuff...but once you get that fixed or if its already been taking care your good to go

turboTwang6

Reaction score
I'll let you borrow my truck for a week jake... haha...but in all seriousness, if it was studded wth oem gaskets, and the heads were planed flat, you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe oring the heads for good measure - I didn't and probably should have. Check on your eot/ect delta when towing, make sure fuel pressure is staying above 55psi, those kinda things. In terms of clean and cool power, a regulated return for sure, and look at a stage 2r from kcturbos.

Is this dually an auto or manual?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I'll let you borrow my truck for a week jake... haha...but in all seriousness, if it was studded wth oem gaskets, and the heads were planed flat, you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe oring the heads for good measure - I didn't and probably should have. Check on your eot/ect delta when towing, make sure fuel pressure is staying above 55psi, those kinda things. In terms of clean and cool power, a regulated return for sure, and look at a stage 2r from kcturbos.

Is this dually an auto or manual?

Lol sure I’ll drive your rig for a week. It’s an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have towed on probably a 450-500 horse tow tune@15k with no issues. Setup was a kc stage 2 &3, 190/30s, and all the supporting stuff. Did 614 on a race tune, track verified.

I had arp 625s, o rings, regulated return from strictly, airdog 2 4g, no limit intake, rcd cam, push rods, valve springs, kc stage 2, odawg intake manifold, csf cac, no limit cac tubes.

Dunno if that helps any...

Cowens677

Reaction score
I have towed tuned with my truck since 50000 and I am at 125000 now. I am not studded have a KC 1.5, tuned ficm, and php and ******** tow tunes that I like to use. I think the most important thing to do is monitor your temps at all times and be on top of all your maintenance procedures. Luckily I am the only owner of this truck And I have taken very good care of her and so far she has treated me well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.