6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So I've committed myself to the project: 6.4 stock turbo's on a 6.0.
I've got parts on the way and I'm still searching for others. Mainly just the up pipes.

I know it has been talked about before, talked talked talked. I have not read about a single person actually taking the plunge. So here I go. Anyone with suggestions prior research etc. please share your info. Anyone willing to chip in parts maybe $$$, also welcome :naughty:.

Throw some thoughts out there too if you guys don't mind. What size injectors should I run. What kind of horse power you think can I achieve...

I am looking for documentation on the VGT's of both turbo's 6.0 and 6.4 primarily the voltage ranges and such for the VGT controls. If anyone might have this info it would be a huge time saver for me.

Stroke'on

-Jon

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I will start off with wishing you the best of luck and truely hope you are able to make it work. I recommend using 6.4 up-pipes with the 6.0 manifolds.

As far as injectors go, it really depends on horse power level you want to be at. I don't know what the exact sizes of the 6.4 turbos are but I would think that it is smaller than a 62(64) S475 setup so I wouldnt really think anything larger than 190/100s would be needed but you may very well be able to get away with stock injectors just to see if it works first.

Anyways, I dont have a whole lot that I can contribute other than to wish you the best of luck.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You can use a pretty large set of injectors and it will clean them up pretty well i'd bet The way the 6.4 and 6.0 are tuned are entirely different, one being common rail and one being HEUI obviously, id imagine you're going to be doing a lot of trial and error with this turbo setup and getting which size injectors to work without losing high pressure oil. Getting the hardware to fit is going to be the easy part, and thats even a lot of work, you cant fit 6.4 compounds in the valley with a 6.0 manifold, at least the core turbos didn't fit on the 6.0 parts motor i test fit. So you're probably going to need a 6.4 intake manifold. Hard part is going to be getting the tuning right. You're going to want to use a non-inferred back pressure sensor strategy so you can set vane position without using the EBP sensor to calculate it.

I wish you luck.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
The high pressure turbo is a 64mm from what I understand. I would like to aim for the 500hp mark but I also need a daily driver/occasional tower. I have a trailer we sometimes pull every day (depending on duration of job and its location) with our construction tools which I guess weighs around 9,000lbs.

I will be sticking with my 6.0 exhaust manifold but I need 6.4 up-pipes to modify to fit my application.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The high pressure (secondary/small turbo) is 58mm and the low pressure (primary/small turbo) is 65mm

05wh250

Reaction score
Probably have to get it mounted and then see what you gotta have for up pipes. Probably talk to some of the sponsors about getting some up pipes. May have to have custom ones made. Also it will most likely have to be live tuned

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I have a 6.4 intake manifold, turbo pedestal, and turbo lined up. Just looking for the up pipes now (to be modified). As soon as I have the turbo in my hands I will start figuring out how to controll the VGT. Once I get it even somewhat controlled it will be time to drop everything in place and start fab'ing.

I would really like to try to put 205's in with it. But I am afraid it will be too hot to tow... I might have to talk to the guys at Warren to see what we can work out.

Live tuning would be essential to get every ounce out of them, my primary goal is to get my 6.0 PCM to controll the 6.4VGT then I will worry about tuning and boy will it be tuned!!

Stroke'on

Mdub707

Reaction score
Jon, glad to see you over here, I wad going to recommend you post up here. Good luck man!

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
what a waste. for the work and money you'll put into this, you could build a setup for what your trying to achive

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Redneck,
Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. Can't knock me for that right? Thanks for the luck anyways. I hope to impress some people with a couple tricks up my sleeve...

Mdub, hey dude good to see you're over here too!

So just thoughts going through my head... I believe I read on swamps site that the 58V FICM will cut a lot of smoke. Is anyone running larger injectors with a 58v FICM? I have one since October 2011, truck starts like a champ hot or cold, and I get next to no smoke now with stock SCT tunes and stock injectors. Where I used to blow coal like crazy... Would this help clean up 205's if I decide to try them with this setup.

Some Stupid humor for you guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVitc_YtTQ&sns=em

windrunner408

Reaction score
I have a 58v FICM and with my 190/100s and a 65mm VGT turbo, I could hit 1800F in just a 40-80mph run and roaled enough coal to make a PA coal miner envious. Being that 205s are even bigger it is going to take A LOT of air to clean those big boys up but at least you do have two turbos. I have to say that I wouldnt rely on the 58v FICM to be the reason your truck cleans 205s. JMO and hope it helps.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
So I have to ask, you say everyone has a reason for what they do, so why go this route. I mean even the 6.4 guys are going away from them. Not argueing. Just want to hear your side.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Well my FiCM died so I needed it anyway.

As for my reasons of going W/ 6.4 turbo's, it has a lot to do with budget, I am a bit cheap. It also has to do with the fact that it seems like it will be mostly swapping of parts and some easy fab work with the intake pipes. So far I do not see this running more than $1200. That's for compounds not a single turbo. Also that's for everything not just the cost of the two turbos to make a custom compound setup. Finally, I have seen enough interest from other guys. If they really want to do it then I opened the door for them to finally feel confident about doing the swap. If there is enough interest I would consider putting together a kit.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
6.4 guys are upgrading from the stock setup because we quickly run out of air even on stock injectors. But they are proven to upper 500rwhp.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Good luck man. This is an interesting idea, and if a person can get a set of used 6.4 turbos and swap them in fairly easily, that would be good way to make 550 hp and be slean and streetable. Obviously, I don't think this will be easy for you but if you figure out what is needed to make it work, then it will be easier for the rest of us. I would think 190s would be a good match.

Latest posts

Members online