2006 power stroke need diagnostic help

logsdonrrll

Reaction score
hey everybody. have a 2006 6.0 with no mods. just a work truck. have a rough idle then dies when hot. won't restart till cooled down. high pressure oil leak right? Have ae with ford bundle. have good ficm voltage. icp desired and actual are within 15psi. Did the icp air test but fried my ipr valve in the process. Got a new ipr valve but didn't want to fry the new one. got a ipr test fitting to air test directly from the ipr port. problem is now i don't hear any air leaks from either valve cover or the high pressure oil pump. Im at a loss. updated the stc fitting anyway since i was in there. dummy plugs and stand pipes are updated as well. Have over 200,000 on her and she still feels very strong. any help would be greatly appreciated.

G Racing

Reaction score
What is the icp when it won't start? If your icp matches or is close to desired icp and still won't start you have other issues than hpo.

logsdonrrll

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. icp goes right back to around 600 psi then it stutters and dies. this started as a problem driving about 15 miles then rough running and a stall. now she only warms up to about 140 degrees oil temp then dies. think I'm going to pull lower fuel filter today and take a look. anybody experience similar symptoms when fuel pump is going out? This is really weird. looked on several posts and haven't seen any similar problems. Ive been one of the lucky 6.0 owners. egr is still solid. at 200,000 miles the screen on the original ipr was perfect. took oil rails off and nipple cups are perfectly tight. been very pleased with this truck and would like to put another 200,000 on her. Wifes going back to work soon after 12 years of raising kids, so i hope to start doing serious upgrades when she starts bringing in another paycheck :) . thanks for all your help. Anything else i should be looking for?

logsdonrrll

Reaction score
hey mixedbreed, sorry, don't know what the givers are. I grew up in a diesel shop but I'm a carpenter now :). Anybody live close to castle rock co?

logsdonrrll

Reaction score
gotcha, Ive got both covers off and the hoop cover off. Silent as a mouse. held air pressure for 2 hours. Now I'm starting to get worried. Looking at posts about fuel in the oil and injector sleeves leaking. Going to check fuel pressure today, but i think ill only be able to check static pressure since i can't get her out of the driveway. Anybody know of a good gauge system to check both. saw one on smartmastertech but he he said it was very expensive, but he could crank engine with the key off to check for compression coming back into the fuel filter bowl. Then he could remove banjo bolt from either side of engine and when bubbles stopped you know which side to start looking for fuel leak. thx for reply's. Bound to get to the bottom of this. Good news is I'm comfortable getting all the way to the heads now :).

G Racing

Reaction score
Have you checked the icp with key on engine off? Should be 0. If it is showing say 200-300 psi with key on engine off, replace the icp sensor.

logsdonrrll

Reaction score
yea, koeo icp shows 0. I have sync between icp and cps as well. Going to start looking at the fuel system. Got a fuel pressure gauge and saw a way to override ignition and turn over the engine without the key. you take out the upper fuel filter and turn engine over to look for bubbles in the fuel cup. Anyone know about this? Checking static and dynamic pressure first, if she'll get out of the driveway. Is there a way to check these without driving, heard you need wot under load to get a accurate reading.

Latest posts

Members online