6.0 fan on OBS Results....

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
bought a new 6.0 fan the other day and got it installed day before yesterday....yesterday, I tied onto the 5th wheel, and hauled it up over the local 7% hill here, about 2 miles of it....

the fan DOES cool better, it's smoother, quieter, and fits right on the existing 7.3 fan clutch....I also have a Fluidampr, and was able to remove the OBS extension to the fan shaft that is normally used with the Fluidampr to space the fan out away from it. the 6.0 fan has more clearance between the fan blades and the Fluidampr, and is still about 1 & 1/4 inches back from the radiator core.

normally, on the hill I tested it on, the water temp will go up, and keep on going up even after the fan kicks on....this time it went up and stabilized after the fan came on.....I do not know what it will do on a longer hill, but so far, it seems to be cooling much better

smoother, quieter, and it definitely pulls more air ...$55.00 bux...whats not to like ?

Hellova good mod.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
yes, just the fan itself, it bolts right onto the existing 7.3 OBS fan clutch with no modifications.

you have to pull the fan and clutch AND the shroud together, that's the only way it'll come out...drain some water out, pull upper radiator hose back, pull small hose to surge tank,
take the shroud loose, push it back, and put a piece of cardboard between the fan and radiator core, so you don't dink it up when pulling it......change the fan blades, and re-install, it's that simple

Last edited:

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
the '97 OBS uses a viscous drive fan hub, it's controlled by the temperature of the air coming
thru the radiator

all I changed was the FAN....read my first post over.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
"the fan DOES cool better, it's smoother, quieter, and fits right on the existing 7.3 fan clutch....I also have a Fluidampr, and was able to remove the OBS extension to the fan shaft that is normally used with the Fluidampr to space the fan out away from it. the 6.0 fan has more clearance between the fan blades and the Fluidampr, and is still about 1 & 1/4 inches back from the radiator core."

here ya go....

d7es3l

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this for a while! You just helped me seal the deal, thanks! Haha

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I bought I SD fan for my OBS. Still in parts pile. The 6.0 fan the SD 7.3 fan look the same.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
the 6.0 clutch will not fit...just put the fan on the OBS clutch, what part of that don't you understand ?

Correct.

I bought I SD fan for my OBS. Still in parts pile. The 6.0 fan the SD 7.3 fan look the same.

The 6.0 & 7.3 SD fans look the same but are not. Diff clutch mounting. The guys that have tried the SD 7.3 fan and clutch have had trouble with it clearing the radiator. The arm on the clutch that mounts to the water pump is just too long.

I have a 6.0 fan mounted on the obs clutch and its perfect. Unfortunately I don't have any comparison data but I like it.

JCart

Reaction score
Right on Old Outlaw,

I picked up a 6.0 fan assembly including the clutch, am using the fan for now. I looked at the thread pattern on the 6.0 clutch and I think it might be close thread wise, however the length of the threaded shaft is too long (read not enough clearance to fit behind radiator). The notion I had was to take to machine shop and turn down to fit water pump. I always though it would be "cool" heh heh to have the electric clutch hooked up to a thermostate switch with a manual override.... whats kept me from doing it is time and the 6.0 guys say the e-clutch is flakey and prone to failure.

jrc

zilla68

Reaction score
bought a new 6.0 fan the other day and got it installed day before yesterday....yesterday, I tied onto the 5th wheel, and hauled it up over the local 7% hill here, about 2 miles of it....

the fan DOES cool better, it's smoother, quieter, and fits right on the existing 7.3 fan clutch....I also have a Fluidampr, and was able to remove the OBS extension to the fan shaft that is normally used with the Fluidampr to space the fan out away from it. the 6.0 fan has more clearance between the fan blades and the Fluidampr, and is still about 1 & 1/4 inches back from the radiator core.

normally, on the hill I tested it on, the water temp will go up, and keep on going up even after the fan kicks on....this time it went up and stabilized after the fan came on.....I do not know what it will do on a longer hill, but so far, it seems to be cooling much better

smoother, quieter, and it definitely pulls more air ...$55.00 bux...whats not to like ?

Hellova good mod.

Old outlaw, does the year 6.0 fan blade matter or are they all the same.
did you buy new ford or somewhere else.

96F350KID

Reaction score
I 2nd that it runs cooler, the tow rig has had it on their for 6 months now, used from a Cummins swap and no issues!

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
dont leave a winter grill gaurd in with this fan ....

fan sucked into my rad and took it out

you got me curious, so I just went out and measured my clearance.....I have almost 1 3/4 inches from the fan to the core....
not quite, but it's well more than 1 5/8" .... that thing must have been sucking pretty hard .....

I've had the fan come on with it turning 3,000RPM, and no problemmo so far, but I don't use an air-flow blocker either....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online