08 F350 axels swap Into my 1996 powerstroke help??

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions concerning an axel swap I am debating on under going. Found some one parting out a 2008 F350 4x4 6.4L, I am able to get the entire suspension system axels, coils, leafs and all and I have seen some people have used axels out of 05 and 06? But I am sure if 2008 would be any different.? My trucks a 1996 F250 4x4 CCSB powerstroke. As much information i can get before I go and spend all my money to find out it doesnt work would be much appreciated, and yes I understand it will be alot of work no matter how you look at it lol! Thanks in advance Christian
:gun:

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
If ya want to do it. Spend the money and get em before they are gone. Some have used 05, I've seen 08 dually axles get used and I know obswiz has used 2011 axles as well. Dive in. I did 02 on mime and I think eventually I am gonna go to 05+ axles.

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
So the only difference should be the longer leafs in the rear? I found a set complete everything for $500 bucks truck rolled over, I want to make sure that this will all work good on my truck and will be worth it!? I dont know where to start so many questions and so much work ahah what kind of part will i be looking into buying ?? And will a aftermarket lift fit on the truck after install thanks fpr the help guys

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
The bracket looks like exactly what i neeed! Does anyone know if anyones had any one experience installing that bracket on a OBS ford ? And yeah only 500 bucks for everything :) i just hope it all fits. So that may solve the rear end problem but how do you find were the front axel goes and do you just drill and bolt in?

Krause

Reaction score
The front is going to take some work. It will fit, but understand that it wont just bolt up and be perfect. These things take time to do properly. That said, you are going to need to have some kind of track bar mount welded to the frame to accept the front mounted track bars (verses short rear mounted in OBS).

Go to members and search 'frankthetank' , He has a thread that details a 05+ conversion pretty well with pictures. I dont know how exact it will be for 08 suspension, but you can expect it to be fairly similar, so his thread will give you a good idea on what you will have to do in terms of drilling and mounting the coil buckets, where to mount the raduis arms, etc etc.

Call Cary for the whole rundown.

And remember you are going to need different rims, 8x170. OBS is 8x6.5

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
I understand this will he a lot of work , and i think it will be worth it. i have read frankthetanks thread on his swap and it looks like he found where he liked the front end to be and just drilled and bolted everything all up with out modification to the axels or frame. I have been emailing cary. But he wants me to spend over 3000 on his kit and frankthetank makes it look easy and reasonably cheap.. And he state he can fit 35" tire with lots of room with only 2.5 inch of lift? So i do not umderstand the difference.. Cary told me to fit 35s i need 4 inch of lift and 8inch lift for 37s! Im not challenging him on this i just dont understand what the difference is with franks swap and mine that i need to spend so much yes i understand that carys is a 4 link kit with all new shocks are the correct rear leafs.. But why cant i do mine just like franks?!

m j

Reaction score
nothing stopping you from doing it like frank.
the 4 link kits dont really gain you anything IMO and they certainly arent worth the $$ they ask

I am seriously looking at that option as well just due to the axles being so cheap right now.
the downfall is the cost to service them but in my case the GF has an 05 so I already bought the seal drivers to work on the unit bearings

morefuel

Reaction score
The front track bar mount is different on the 05 from the 08. I am running the 5.4 gasser front springs and have 285/70/17s with basically no problem. I use factory track bar and mount from the 05 and am not very impressed with how it works. My front axle is about and 1.5 offset to one side, and i had to grind the lip on the cross member down to the bar would miss. that probably could have been avoided by taking more measurements beforehand. I used a 05 steering box i have heard you can use the lines also, i had different ends put on my stock lines. Steering has a total different feel to it, nice and firm.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
08+ have bigger brakes too. Talk to Cary, he knows his ****. He suggest the really big lift because you actually get flex out of the coil suspension. And it's 6 inches for 35s and 8 for 37s. You can go with less lift but the problem is when you do actually flex, turning up a really steep drive way, going through a ditch, etc... You're very likely to rub...

I'm having Cary build up my swap this upcoming year... It's gonna be about $17K+ before it's all said and done.

Strokin572

Reaction score
500 bucks!? I wouldn't have even posted this I'd be pulling them off the wrecked truck. Hopefully I can find a deal like that sometime. If you have experience fabricating and everything I'd say go for it!!

Strokersace

Reaction score
08+ have bigger brakes too. Talk to Cary, he knows his ****. He suggest the really big lift because you actually get flex out of the coil suspension. And it's 6 inches for 35s and 8 for 37s. You can go with less lift but the problem is when you do actually flex, turning up a really steep drive way, going through a ditch, etc... You're very likely to rub...

I'm having Cary build up my swap this upcoming year... It's gonna be about $17K+ before it's all said and done.

Holy phuck. Props to you for willing to follow his gospel with so much of your money!!

Cary told me that my setup could not be done and it would ride worse than an rsk with v codes. Said it was a waste to try. I needed to buy all of his engineered parts to make it work. So I did it anyway, with all stock 06 parts, with the ride height I was told wasn't possible, with NO bump steer, and ended up with an amazing ride... Much better than any leaf sprung front end would have provided. Once I install a 4 link from pmf, it'll have all the articulation I need.

Funny thing is, I had to fully rebuild both axles, brakes and all... Still won't have more than $5k into mine when finished.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
hey frank I was wondering how you got your front axel intp place, what kind of things did you have to order to make your set up work? How you did this all with out carys kit? Why do i need such a lift to fit 35s but you did it with just 2.5inch? And is there an advantage to using a SD gear box
I was under the impression that this set up wouldnt work for me but i found your post and its working great?

1996Powerjoker

Reaction score
My trucks a 96 ccsb powerstroke and the axels are from a 08 superduty 6.4 what will i need to buy / fabricate to make this work with out spending crazy money like you did

Layson

Reaction score
Holy phuck. Props to you for willing to follow his gospel with so much of your money!!

Cary told me that my setup could not be done and it would ride worse than an rsk with v codes. Said it was a waste to try. I needed to buy all of his engineered parts to make it work. So I did it anyway, with all stock 06 parts, with the ride height I was told wasn't possible, with NO bump steer, and ended up with an amazing ride... Much better than any leaf sprung front end would have provided. Once I install a 4 link from pmf, it'll have all the articulation I need.

Funny thing is, I had to fully rebuild both axles, brakes and all... Still won't have more than $5k into mine when finished.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah I wouldn't spend my money with him either. Some of the things he says on the forums just don't make any sense to me. He is just here to sell parts, however he is pretty good with leaf springs.

Skip the 4-link though, that is where you are going to run into bumpsteer.

Latest posts

Members online