Work truck project

ncollins64

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 97 f350 srw, 4wd, reg cab, 5 speed truck with 4:10 gears. Over all it's very clean but does have 250k on it. No oil leaks etc. I want to make this a 400-450hp reliable dd/tow rig. I've already put 5 in ex and an intake on it and all new steering joints and all new brakes and drums etc all the way around. Also new batteries and ball joints. Here's a list of what I'd like to get and let me know if you would add or do something different.

Marty's e fuel with reg return
Barder dyi billet 66
Possible up pipes and intercooler from a buddy on here
Custom 6 pos
Sticks( unsure of what size to go with)
Hpop(unsure also)
Nltd intakes
Anything I'm missing or something yall would do different? Thanks

Diesel23

Reaction score
Sounds nice Nathan , I just picked up a 97 f350 4x4 for my son in law sounds like what he is after !!
Not sure on stick size but I'd say you would be OK switching out hpop with a 17* (these were standard in the 99 and up and you should be fine . 94-97 had the 15*
The E Fuel from martys I'm not sure if it allows the use of both tanks , the only systems I know that allows you to is IRATES kit and DIESELSITE CPR KIT FOR OBS
Also you'll need gauges to keep all in check for towing

sootie

Reaction score
Nate-you dont need a reliable tow rig. Sell it to me :evil:

ncollins64

Reaction score
I hear ya. I'm just trying to get parts in mind and gather slowly. Gonna use this pig to keep miles and scratches off the 6.4 other wise I might put it on ya

ncollins64

Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions on injectors for the goals and purpose of this truck. I'll be going through swamps or full force since they are local to me.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
My old 7.3 had 160/100's and a d66 from beans and all the supporting mods and it made 438hp at the tires and it towed and ran like a dream. It was a very budget friendly set up.

idshred

Reaction score
I second the last two posts for options. I'll toss 200/30's in for your consideration as well. Here is a response from swamps about 200/30's from a thread on PSN.

golfer said:
The 200/30's work exceptionally well with the 38R turbo...crystal clean 425hp WHEN you want it..and bone stock power when you need that...

The 200's use LESS high pressure oil than a set of Baby Swamps, less oil than stock AB, or stock AD injectors...so even if your HPOil pump is "weak"...by simply installing an injector that uses LESS oil than stock injs...your pump will be able to support nearly any ICP pressure requested by your tuning.

I have run nearly every single injector that we have ever, or currently do offer...and both of my current 7.3L's are running our 200cc hybrids. Stock HPOP, stock fuel system...and one truck isn't even running studs...and hasn't for years...with no plans to.

I will say that IF you are going to be using any injector in a competitive nature (dragstrip, sledpull, or extended harrrrd runs on the street/interstate)...that you would be well advised to install studs & springs...

but if you're going to drive it 'normally' for 90%+ of the time, and only sparingly beat the snot out of it...then running the 200s w/o studs/springs is not reckless.

we sell dozens of the 200/30s each month, and (with our tuning) can only recall one person having any type of HG problem..and that was on a fresh build with an unseated headgasket.

In my opinion the 80% nozzle is a smokey pile...the 100% nozzle is not much better for the increase in power...so we generally recommend the 30% nozzle or the 200% nozzle...which can be just as clean as stock with the right tuning.

The entire reason to install a larger nozzle on any injector is to be able to deliver a significant volume of fuel AT A HIGH ENGINE RPM....

the 200/30% injectors can empty the full shot up to 3700rpm..and while they will still function at 5000rpm...the volume of injected fuel would be cut back to about 150cc's.

So, unless you are planning on running the engine above 3700rpm regularly..at full power..the 30% nozzle will keep nearly STOCK atomization (low low smoke), exceptional fuel efficiency, and will run damn good against other/newer 'tuned' trucks on the road.

We've done our 200cc hybrids with our 200% nozzle on quite a lot of trucks...(one of mine as well)..and that combination (200cc w/ 200% nozzle) has been a consistent 550rwhp...on a bone stock HPOP.

the 200cc hybrid alleviates ANY concern with regard to the HPOil system..since that injector size physically CAN'T use more oil than all but the absolute weakest HPOP in the universe could support.

It's just silly in my opinion to build an injector with a larger nozzle than the expected engine rpm dictates...

the loss of atomization isn't worth it for 99% of the street trucks.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
A set of 200/30s would be great in a work truck. Don't touch the hpop and roll on down the road. I've never liked the D66 turbo and most people who have them and upgrade to a T4 setup will tell you not to waste your money. A T4 setup with a 366 frame turbo like the BASB would be AWESOME! or if you know someone parting a SD, install the SD up pipes and collector and use a 38r

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
Would running a set of 200/30s be around the 400hp mark and still be reliable. Since I know nothing about the hpop on this truck I'll probably go ahead and put a honey badger on just to be safe since there not too pricey. I'll look into the t4 kits as well and do some figuring.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Yes, they are still a reliable injector and over 400hp. Save some money and just install a new 17* SD pump. Cheaper and prolly the most reliable option.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Well this thing has turned into my dd since the 6.4 cracked a piston. Anyways my injectors are on there last days. A buddy of mine has some brand new stage 1 180cc full force injectors. There still in the boxes and I can get them for 1100 and he was gonna install them with new glow plugs for 200. Anyways has anybody had any experience with these? Realisticly what can these injectors lay down with e fuel and honey badger hpop and stock turbo with a 5 speed.

psduser1

Reaction score
Well this thing has turned into my dd since the 6.4 cracked a piston. Anyways my injectors are on there last days. A buddy of mine has some brand new stage 1 180cc full force injectors. There still in the boxes and I can get them for 1100 and he was gonna install them with new glow plugs for 200. Anyways has anybody had any experience with these? Realisticly what can these injectors lay down with e fuel and honey badger hpop and stock turbo with a 5 speed.

Plenty for a dd. I've got 160ish/100% from ff, and they are decent. Not racecar fast, but I've shamed a couple of "hotrods", lol.
The stg 1 is a stock nozzle, if I remember? Should be an honest 350hp on a hot tune, maybe a little better, enough to get out off your own way.

Enough to be smoky, if that's what you like. Maybe a 38 or 38r turbo to clean it up?

ncollins64

Reaction score
Yes they are stock nozzles and I'm not wanting a smokey truck. Just a clean running reliable tow rig and dd. I was wanting 400hp but 350 will be ok. I'm gonna run the stock turbo for a while or until I do a t4 kit. Also gonna have Marty's e fuel on this and a honey badger.

psduser1

Reaction score
Might go to a 30% or 80% nozzle, then. 6pos chip, with normal tunes, whatever you want to run, and keep the chip turned down until you get the rest of your mods done. I don't have any experience with the 30% nozzle, but with the fuel turned down, tuningwise, smoke should be reasonable. Or, have your tuner burn two dd tunes, one for stock turbo and standard oil, and one for the bigger turbo oil and oil. Just don't use the big tune till you get the mods done, lol.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I'm gonna call ff Monday and see how much bigger nozzles would run me. If it's costly then I'll just buy them as is and hope for a decent running truck. After all it isn't gonna be a hot rod.

Latest posts

Members online