My new to me tow rig: 2002 F350 Dually

bluedge8

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread because I have quite a few questions as I get to know this truck and Super Duties-this is the first one I have owned. It's my 4th 7.3L. I bought this truck: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74972. So after talking with Lou, the owner and Billy (gnxtc2) I felt good about the truck, a deal was made and a couple of weeks ago I flew out to NJ from MN to buy the truck and drive it home. I have never bought a truck sight unseen before so that was different. Lou is a good guy and a straight shooter. Some of the issues the other member found Lou didn't know about, some weren't a big deal to me. I arrived at Newark airport at 11am on a Friday, Lou was waiting for me in my new to me truck, it looked good. We drove back to Lou's house to get the paperwork done, I met Billy (he was working, so literally just said hello and we were on our way). I was on the road by 1pm heading 1200 miles back home in a truck I didn't know and not one tool with, I figured I would have had to check tools and the airlines probably would have lost them so I chanced it and figured I would buy tools on the way home if needed. On Friday I made it to Youngstown, OH- 394 miles from NJ. Saturday morning I got on the road by 7am and was in my driveway by 9pm Saturday night- 836miles. And both of my 75 year old parents decided to come along since they can fly for free (dad is retired from Delta) so I feel like we made good time considering. The truck developed a couple of issues, stat was stuck open and when we hit WI it had dropped to 3*F outside and we had no heat in the truck and the aftermarket oil temp gauge was dropping below 130*F, so I stopped and stuffed some cardboard in front of the radiator and it helped some. The other issue is that the truck developed a slight miss at low speeds, thankfully it was running good at highway speeds- I am going to look at the uvch's first. So I have gotten it in the garage to get it worked on and it is roughly 9"s longer than my obs cclb which makes the garage pretty tight but it's all the way in so that's good (and warm!). One other little issue was the power steering was really starting to get loud, so I stopped at Walmart and bought some Lucas power steering fix and within 1/2 hr of driving I was completely quiet- stuff worked great.

Lou bought the truck as is and only used it a few times a year to pull a trailer, so there are some mysteries about what all was done to the truck.

This thing is loaded with Banks crap.
Here is the list of mods that I know of:
Gauges, all Isspro:
boost
egt-not working at the moment
engine oil temp
trans temp
voltage
rear differential oil temp

Banks intercooler pipes
Possible Banks intercooler (steel tanked and painted)
Banks Big Head waste gate actuator
Banks (I think) CAI
Banks OttoMind PCM programmer
Banks Trans Command
Banks 4" turbo back exh w/muffler
I suspect it may have aftermarket Inj's but I don't know for sure-

It has a PacBrake, which I haven't played with yet
It had some sort of electric cooling fan that Billy pulled off because it failed

This truck has a lot of power compared to my 3 previous 7.3L's that had chips only, I won't be surprised if it has 160cc inj's- I am hoping to pull them and have them checked in the upcoming months. I will post up pics next. And I will talk next about what I am going to work on with the next.

bluedge8

Reaction score
20170128_173633.jpg20170128_173647.jpg20170128_173546.jpg20170128_165429.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Anyone know why when I upload from my phone using tapatalk it turns the pics sideways?

bluedge8

Reaction score
So things I am planning on doing with the truck:
Selling the topper
adding a tonneau cover
installing a goose neck hitch
new skins, 235/85/16 BFG all terrain KO 2's
Fix the low speed miss
new stat
6637 air filter
Fox 2.0's
Entertaining new front springs
double din radio
Tekonsha P3 brake controller
Having the inj's gone through, would like to end up with 160cc's
Adrenaline Hpop
I bought a Hydra to replace the ottomind and transcommand
Upgrading the mirrors- I will most likely buy through 1a auto for those.
remote start

Any recommendations on a goose neck hitch? I will want something with minimal protrusion into the bed and easy to use.

Can I mod the existing rear seat to the newer style or would I have to switch out the whole seat?
I have a bunch of other questions but will post later.

JRLott

Reaction score
B&W for the hitch. Adding fifth wheel, if needed in the future, to it is simple.

Brian22

Reaction score
I second the B&W. Only thing I don't like about the B&W is you have to lower the exhaust on some trucks. Makes it look like your driving around with a broken exhaust hanger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bluedge8

Reaction score
B&W for the hitch. Adding fifth wheel, if needed in the future, to it is simple.
I bought an Anderson hitch for the 5th, So all I need is the goose neck. Any particular model of b&w?

psduser1

Reaction score
If you end up with 160-180ish nozzles, and air to support them, I'd add a coolant filter, as well. Cheap, easy, insurance.
Some guys don't like them, but I've got three trucks with the wix base and filters.

JRLott

Reaction score
Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Might be a site sponsor that carries them. You can search the part number and might find it cheaper, but probably not by much. That was one of the first Google links. I didn't dig for prices.

Jomax

Reaction score
For the b&w hitch, go on the site and insert your truck And it'll tell you what model hitch you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedge8

Reaction score
For the b&w hitch, go on the site and insert your truck And it'll tell you what model hitch you need.

Thanks, I was looking for which model, I think I got it now. Anybody know if you have to lift the bed up to install?

Jomax

Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking for which model, I think I got it now. Anybody know if you have to lift the bed up to install?

Bed doesn't have to be moved at all.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Any advice on the rear most v/c bolt, driver side? I haven't found a combo of sockets and extensions that work yet

Latest posts

Members online