GMS Valve Spring Kits in stock!

SeeYa

Reaction score
I just want to clarify some information on this topic. I (Groff Motorsports) am the supplier/builder of these valve springs that are in question here. Jody at DP-Tuner is a friend of mine and I had developed these for my 7.3L a few years ago after we had some issues with my personal truck. I am a drag racing engine and chassis shop to give you a little back ground of my experience and have been in business sense 1999. I supply only DP-Tuner with these parts. I am having these springs built to my specifications and there are no retainers that are being made to fit them other than the ones we build. We machine the retainers in house out of a retainer blanks that my supplier builds. The valve keepers are common part to the race industry. The retainers and keepers are chromoly. I have been running these in my truck for several years now trouble free and have developed them from the ground up. So to answer a few questions that are going to be asked, Yes they are beehive springs, Yes they are a true drop in springs, Yes they use the stock spring locator/seal assembly, and No there is no need for any machining. The racer side of me says that you should always check spring pressures and and installed heights and shim all valve springs to the correct and same installed heights but I designed this so that for 99% of the people installing them can simply swap there’s for these without needing to install shims at all or check all of that stuff. Keep in mind that if you have had head work done (valve job, ect.) that you should check installed height due to the valve height potentially changing inside the valve seat. Ok with all that said, To say that a beehive spring is a beehive spring and you can get “X” beehive spring from here or there and it will work is 100% incorrect. Not saying you can't get one and if you can find a retainer that allows you to install it you can install it, but we built ours completely different than most springs being sold as replacements. Most replacement springs are springs that are already available for something else and being made to “fit” the 7.3L application. Ours are not. The way springs are made the higher the closed pressure the higher the open pressure. There is no other way to build them. However there are ways to cheat the way it’s built to keep from hurting other parts. (The “Spring Rate” can be adjusted to certain extents) With a hydraulic roller camshaft we can’t throw a heavy spring in there or it would kill the lifters. Also the 7.3L rocker arm is not up to the task of heavy spring loads for extended periods of time. (Ask us how we know) What happens in forced induction engines (As you increase intake pressure “boost”) the valves have a hard time closing and that action is slowed down and sometimes the valve slows enough to contact the piston. This can even happen if you install “better = heavier” pushrods. (This can happen to intake and exhaust valves) To combat this you add spring pressure, but due to the hydraulic lifter limitations you can’t use a spring that’s very strong or it will overcome the lifters abilities to stay “pumped up” and collapse causing bigger problems. So this is where we came in and developed a spring that is made to add closed pressure while not adding a ton of open pressure (keeping spring rate in check) to keep from killing lifters, pushrods, camshafts, cam bearing, and rocker arms. Is this the complete answer no but I hope to have shed some light on what we are trying to do to combat what the problem really is. If you have any questions I will gladly answer them or you can direct them to DP-Tuner. Thanks GMS 770-559-1746

We have 20 sets of Groff Motorsports Valve Springs kit in stock. GMS outlined what this kit offers. The info is in his post above. We are waiting on shipping boxes to arrive and will be shipping week of June 23rd. Anyone interested please contact Jody at ext 801 or Justin at ext.804. We do not have these on our site yet. We should have them up when we get back from vacation 6/23. Justin can do a manual order until then if you want to secure a set.

Thanks

~Diane

Quotes from a thread in 7.3l section

Latest posts

Members online