Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > Mess Hall

Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat and Poot View Post
Wow, what a great haul.

I recently opened and shared a 4 year and 4 month aged Dogfish 120 Minute and it was fantastic. I've had to cut back on beer consumption recently as my gut has been eating the rest of me, but at one point had over 1k beers tagged on Untappd
I need to get this app. Btw, any suggestions on a good session IPA? I bought some of the SweetWater Hash and it wasn't too bad. My current favorite go to beer is the American IPA Two Hearted Ale from Bells. I would love to find a session with a similar flavor profile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 AM
General
Member's Gallery

I am baffled at how many people like Bells two hearted lol.

Ja Cain, what area are you in, I could probably make some recommendations
VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO
Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
I am baffled at how many people like Bells two hearted lol.

Ja Cain, what area are you in, I could probably make some recommendations
Little late seeing this. I live near Richmond, VA. The Two Hearted Ale is just about perfect for an everyday IPA. I just wish I could find a session with the same profile. I don't care for the lingering aftertaste that some IPA's have. Sculpin is another one I like, but it is more spendy than the Bells. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:25 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Little late seeing this. I live near Richmond, VA. The Two Hearted Ale is just about perfect for an everyday IPA. I just wish I could find a session with the same profile. I don't care for the lingering aftertaste that some IPA's have. Sculpin is another one I like, but it is more spendy than the Bells. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Richmond VA is a mecca for craft beer man. You are in one of the biggest hotspots for awesome brews. We are talking about travelling to RVA for our next annual beer trip.

Notable breweries in Richmond:
Veil
Answer
Hardywood
Triple Crossing
Final Gravity
Ardent
Strangeways
Legends
Castleburg
Lickinghole Creek

As for specific sessions in your area, if you're on Facebook, join the "Fans of Virginia Craft Breweries" page. You'll get tons of suggestions. It's honestly hard for me to give a recommendation there. I could recommend some shelf turds, but you're in such an awesome area that it wouldn't be right, and the places I mentioned likely rotate drafts so often I couldn't keep up being from out of town.

I will say if you tend to like more of a "Juicy" IPA with less bitterness, Veil, Triple Crossing, and Answer will have some beers you should definitely try. Veil does can releases on Tuesdays. Just go on an off day and try some stuff on draft. We regularly trade for Veil up here, top notch stuff. I also love Hardywoods stouts and sours they make. I have a couple cases of Hardywood stouts in my basement.
VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO
Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Had this beauty this weekend. Aslin Beer Company - Buku Mocha. Imperial Stout with Vietnamese coffee and cocoa nibs added. 18% ABV. No that is not a typo. Largest beer I've ever had out of a can. Absolutely delicious, but could definitely catch up to you in a hurry.

VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Richmond VA is a mecca for craft beer man. You are in one of the biggest hotspots for awesome brews. We are talking about travelling to RVA for our next annual beer trip.

Notable breweries in Richmond:
Veil
Answer
Hardywood
Triple Crossing
Final Gravity
Ardent
Strangeways
Legends
Castleburg
Lickinghole Creek

As for specific sessions in your area, if you're on Facebook, join the "Fans of Virginia Craft Breweries" page. You'll get tons of suggestions. It's honestly hard for me to give a recommendation there. I could recommend some shelf turds, but you're in such an awesome area that it wouldn't be right, and the places I mentioned likely rotate drafts so often I couldn't keep up being from out of town.

I will say if you tend to like more of a "Juicy" IPA with less bitterness, Veil, Triple Crossing, and Answer will have some beers you should definitely try. Veil does can releases on Tuesdays. Just go on an off day and try some stuff on draft. We regularly trade for Veil up here, top notch stuff. I also love Hardywoods stouts and sours they make. I have a couple cases of Hardywood stouts in my basement.
Hardywood does make some good stuff. I will pick up some Veil next chance I get and also check out Tripple Crossing and Answer.

Btw, my brother was recently here a few months ago collaborating with the big dogs at VCU on setting up a brew school there. Should be pretty awesome if they end up offering a program. Please let me know when you are down this way. I would love hang out. Take care.

Justin
Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Had this beauty this weekend. Aslin Beer Company - Buku Mocha. Imperial Stout with Vietnamese coffee and cocoa nibs added. 18% ABV. No that is not a typo. Largest beer I've ever had out of a can. Absolutely delicious, but could definitely catch up to you in a hurry.

I will see if my beer guy can get some for me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Few beers in the queue today. The Stone Session is the best session style beer I've had so far. Right up there with Two Hearted.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Killing those sessions eh?

One of my favorite sessions to date was Singlecut's 18watt. So much flavor from such a light beer. I have a hard time getting it though and it's brewed in my state. They just started canning very recently and I don't think this has made it into can rotation yet though. I'll have to keep my eyes out for some that you might be getting. Looks like you got some Hardywood too! I'm a big fan of their bottled stuff. Gingerbread Stout is one of my favorites, but it's definitely a "love it or hate it" beer.
VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO