Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Suspension, Drive Train, and Tires

Old 06-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I'm using the 95 steering box but swapping to a 07 box next week when I do hydroboost. I didn't have to space the bolts on the frame or crossmember to get it to sit flat
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted4 View Post
I'm using the 95 steering box but swapping to a 07 box next week when I do hydroboost. I didn't have to space the bolts on the frame or crossmember to get it to sit flat
I'm wondering if you will have to notch the trac bar bracket more when you put in the new box. That would explain my issues...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

More done this weekend. GETTING SO CLOSE!!!

Rear is installed and sitting on its own weight, Initially truck had about a 3" rake with the, probably mostly due to the Sky shackle flip in the rear. I removed the factory 2" block and it now seems to sit with about a 1" rake which is about perfect.

Getting the E brake cables routed was a job in itself, Some pics:

Got the rear shocks installed (bilsteins). Ended up using the factory superduty lower mounts. I went a few inches outboard of the factory location on the axle and since there is nothing holding them rotationally at this location, I welded the ubolts to the axle.
Driver:

passenger:

passenger:

Rear complete:

Rebuilt the entire ebrake assemblies and replaced the backer plates and seals in the hub. Those drum ebrakes are a pain. Took me forever to do the first side but the second side was quick once I figured it out. I also got a bit confused with the retainer nut on the drivers side, opposite hand thread! I knew that but had forgotten...

all complete:

I was at a loss for getting the bearing retainer nut off the hub and didn't want to drive it off with a screwdriver, anyway after realizing I couldn't get my hands on the proper tool on a sunday I made one in 15minutes with a junk 2 1/16 - 3/4 drive socket and my grinder. haha
My special homemade hub removal tool, worked like a champ:

Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Keep it up truck is looking great!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

The e-brake cable on my swap has yet to be solved. I see how you did yours and others before but I think I will move my frame bracket forward and hook the cables up how the obs truck does originally, don't want to use cable ties to get it to work. Can't wait to see yours done with those wheels cause I've been looking at those awhile and can't decide yet
Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Default Ebrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted4 View Post
The e-brake cable on my swap has yet to be solved. I see how you did yours and others before but I think I will move my frame bracket forward and hook the cables up how the obs truck does originally, don't want to use cable ties to get it to work. Can't wait to see yours done with those wheels cause I've been looking at those awhile and can't decide yet
Yeah, my ebrake solution was not the most elegant, but it works. Actually works. Took it for a 5 mile test drive last night!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I'll take a pic of mine so you can see how I made mine work
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Did you buy the 2007 steering box yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Drove it 2 nights ago and did 5 miles. Only issue is a pissing power steering line. I used the original 1996 Hard line for the return and kind of tweaked it in to fit on the 2005 steering box, its leaking like crazy now. I kept the '05 return line and the '05 powersteering cooler off the donor and will be using both. That should fix it. Otherwise the truck rides really well. I like it alot. I may be going up a size or two on the tires and a set of 2" hub centric wheel spacers. The tires are looking a bit dinky now that I got the truck out of the garage and on the driveway but I still need to get the bed on to know for sure. The ebrake and brake system seems to be working OK. The vac assist power brakes are definitely not amazing, but it seems to stop just as good, if not better, than it did with the old brake setup, so I think that is good enough for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:47 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Switch to hydroboost, and it will be an "oh s**t" type of stop! You'll wonder why you didn't do it immediately!

Night and day difference from the vacuum assist brakes. Especially when you have disc brakes in the rear now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk